Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Converting the V6 Tiburon to run on ethanol?

2K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  deez337 
#1 ·
Searching the boards I have found nothing, and everything on the web is norrmally generally speaking for the automotive engine (very broad). Was wondering what it would take to convert the Tib? There are many local outlets in the area for ethanol and the price range is around the $1.75 mark right now with expectations lo lower in price.

I know the fundamentals are the same in regards to gasoline and from what I am seeing its simply a change in timing for most cases to be converted. Anyone actually do any research on this topic before I start?
Thanks,

Josip

P.S. Please feel free to move this to another forum if needed (didnt think it fit anywhere else).

#2 ·
well, from what i know E85 eats rubber. so, all your fuel lines are toast. lots of lil rubber gaskets like the ones around your injectors. etc etc etc. gonna be a challenge.

#3 ·
croat said:
Searching the boards I have found nothing, and everything on the web is norrmally generally speaking for the automotive engine (very broad). Was wondering what it would take to convert the Tib? There are many local outlets in the area for ethanol and the price range is around the $1.75 mark right now with expectations lo lower in price.

I know the fundamentals are the same in regards to gasoline and from what I am seeing its simply a change in timing for most cases to be converted. Anyone actually do any research on this topic before I start?
Thanks,

Josip

P.S. Please feel free to move this to another forum if needed (didnt think it fit anywhere else).
You know that the fuel economy wont change much, right? Cause cars that run on E85 consume alot more, so with the cost of converting the car it will take years before you hit actually earn anything from it..
The reason its popular in Sweden is because you dont have to pay as much taxes on the car, since its more friendly to the enviroment.

#5 ·
you can convert your car to run on natural gas, it is significantly cheaper to run. Where I live you get a income tax credit equal to the cost of converting your car (usually around $2000 to $3000) and there are natural gas pumps at must gas stations (around here anyway there are) and another nice feature is you can still run regular gas when you can not find natural gas.

ps: have a neat day!

#8 ·
matt420 said:
HAHA!!! Always good to be optimistic.

I live in Philly, and the news is saying that gas prices will soar to approximately $5.00 a gallon within two months or less because of the gas shortage. You can always estimate the future of what gas will cost by going to futuressource.com and find the price a 1 year contract on gasoline, by look at futures contracts and then adding about 70 cents or so, because that includes government taxes, marketing, import costs, etc That is what we learned in a financial analysis class. Not to mention, gas goes up in the summer because the government requires by law, that a different additive be added to the gasoline to decrease pollution in the summertime with all the extra travelling going on.

#9 ·
Not really the cost that I'm worried about, I'm sick of supplying money to the ****ing oil industry. I'm sick of all this **** assosiated with oil, and the other important thing is the environment. I was unaware that ethanol was bad for rubber gaskets and such. I would rather pay $4.00 per gallon for ethanol than $2.00 per gallon for gas.

croat

#11 ·
There is no "shortage". They are changing to cleaner additives and that takes time to do because they cannot run the new additive transported by pipelines. Running on ethanol would probably max out your injectors. It'd be worth it but at the same time it wouldn't.

#12 ·
This is all I ever hear or see on the cable news channels anymore. Ethanol this and ethanol that. Environmentally safe automotive technology is obviously out there, but we Americans as a whole are reluctant to adjust to a new fuel source. I'm not a fan of hybrids because of the danger of do-it-yourself maintenance (electrocution from that huge electric motor and battery), but cars can run on random things like canola oil and so on. Wait, that's not a good idea either because we're just going to dry up all the fertile soil out there with mass fuel crop production. Although I'm pissed off from hearing about ethanol all over the place, I guess it's about time we give something like that a shot, perhaps. Future production cars should just steer clear of rubber components in the fuel systems, of course. It'll save us the trouble down the road.

#13 ·
Actually, while there isn't a shortage YET, there very well COULD be. This is why the subject with Iran is so touchy right now. Everyone worried about the oil market during the Iraq conflict, but that was really without merit. The US has been embargoing Iraq for the last decade.

Iran, however, is another story. The world's oil supply currently exceeds the demany by only a mere **3%**. Iran is responsible for **5%** of the world's supply.

If the UN or US applies sanctions or embargoes to Iran for its Nuclear program, and their oil output drops, the world could very easily start burning more oil than it's producing.

-Max

#14 ·
redtib03 said:
I live in Philly, and the news is saying that gas prices will soar to approximately $5.00 a gallon within two months or less because of the gas shortage. You can always estimate the future of what gas will cost by going to futuressource.com and find the price a 1 year contract on gasoline, by look at futures contracts and then adding about 70 cents or so, because that includes government taxes, marketing, import costs, etc That is what we learned in a financial analysis class. Not to mention, gas goes up in the summer because the government requires by law, that a different additive be added to the gasoline to decrease pollution in the summertime with all the extra travelling going on.

what gas shortage

what a bunch of BS

there is NO gas shortage..
pfft

#16 ·
croat said:
Not really the cost that I'm worried about, I'm sick of supplying money to the ****ing oil industry. I'm sick of all this **** assosiated with oil, and the other important thing is the environment. I was unaware that ethanol was bad for rubber gaskets and such. I would rather pay $4.00 per gallon for ethanol than $2.00 per gallon for gas.

croat
You think the oilcompanys wont follow the ethanol trend?! Youll be paying the same guys, just for another product.

#18 ·
Ethanol yields a higher octane rating than petroleum. Which is a great thing for performance vehicles. E85 (85% ethanol) averages around 98 octane (using a standard R+m/2 standard).

Currently it is believed to be save to run a current car on up to E30-35 (30-35% ethanol). People are buying ethanol by the barrels and mixing their own fuels.

The truth about the gas shortage has nothing to do with petroleum. It has to do with Ethanol. In previous years, gas companies were required to use MTBE, which was supposed to clean the emissions and raise octane of the fuel. Recently it has been found that MTBE does not break down in the earth, and if it reached water systems can permanently poison them, making then undrinkable for humans and animal life.

The law requiring the use od MTBE was overturned. This allowed the use of Ethanol to replace MTBE. Ethanol burns much cleaner than MTBE (though it can cause a larger amount of black soot to form in your exhaust systems). Ethanol is highly corrosive. Therefore it cannot be premixed into the fuels and transported via pipelines. The ethanol must be carried by trucks and trains to their respected locations (or refineries), and be mixed there, to then be transported by truck to the station.

With the Ethanol production being such a slow process and the US not being equipped for the fuel demand... shortages in "completed" fuel exist.

Also understand... if Ethanol becomes the mainstream fuel... whether it be E50 or E85... fuel prices will not go down persay. Ethanol is very expensive to produce, and anything produced in the US will always cost more due to high labor wages...

Though I have to say. I'd much rather pay $4.00 a gallon to US Farmers and US workers than spend even $1.00 a gallon to the dirty oil sheiks in the middle east or other oil tyrants over the rest of the world...

I wish the US would wake up and get E85 running... It'll really shut down the middle east...

And there are ways to convert your car... check other message boards. I've read many people using it. Plus getting great HP gains due to the fuels hugher octane rating and being able to run more timing and boost without detonation... (plus still running cleaner).

Good luck...

#19 ·
Shortage..... It isnt that we are almost out of oil but the fact that the oil is getting harder to find and produce. The money spent on a well before production is very high compared to a couple of years ago. All of the "easy" oil is gone. Now it is up to directional, multi laterals etc in the far corners of the world to get it. And all that technology costs alot more. But it is also why I have a job with Halliburton discovering new and better ways to increase production. lol

#20 ·
deez337 said:
Shortage..... It isnt that we are almost out of oil but the fact that the oil is getting harder to find and produce. The money spent on a well before production is very high compared to a couple of years ago. All of the "easy" oil is gone. Now it is up to directional, multi laterals etc in the far corners of the world to get it. And all that technology costs alot more. But it is also why I have a job with Halliburton discovering new and better ways to increase production. lol

funny how the "easy oil" is gone yet the oil pumps are still there and still operational.....

By the time we run out of oil we will have switched to skycars and use an alternate fuel.

The fact is that allot of bs was created to make the US public to back up big oil companies to destroy habitats up in alaska to get more oil so they have to pay less fees and taxes, price would cost more to compensate for costs to put in machines, pipes, ect but it would save them alot of money.

We don't switch to ethanol because gas companies have a say in car design.

Did you know companies have created engines that use magnatisim to prevent lock up instead of oil, there more productive, more efficient and can go much faster. We dont have them because we would spend millions less in our life time on petroleum.

Gas companies literally slow down our evolution in technology. So they can buy there sons/ daughters the stuff they dont need but want.

#21 ·
theironmonk said:
The fact is that allot of bs was created to make the US public to back up big oil companies to destroy habitats up in alaska to get more oil so they have to pay less fees and taxes, price would cost more to compensate for costs to put in machines, pipes, ect but it would save them alot of money.
The ironic thing about that is that it's pure fiction.

#22 ·
Though I have to say. I'd much rather pay $4.00 a gallon to US Farmers and US workers than spend even $1.00 a gallon to the dirty oil sheiks in the middle east or other oil tyrants over the rest of the world...
This is what I am all about. I am very carefull on where I spend my money, as I feel that is my small part that I am doing for mine. I refuse to shop at Walmart and will continue to sway others in my direction as they are bringing a huge decline to the American economy. Instead I shop at smaller local shops, yea I may spend a few more bucks on my overall bill but I know that the money stays here and dose not directly fuel our arrow to the west (china). Also, dont feel the need to get into it about China and everything they make as I know this and I do truley try to limit my dependance on forigen crap I dont need (and I do realize that I do buy stuff from china).

Anywho, I dont know if those of you understand the simplicity of producing ethanol. One great comparrison should be Brazil, a developing country that can fuel its entire country with it however our modernized country cannot as it would be too costly! No, in fact I would love to see the numbers of how much crop waste in Brazil (sugar cane, sugar beet, corn, etc) is used to produce their annual ethanol production versus the amount of corn by-broduct waste that is wasted everyyear in the Midwest (there is alot). This throwaway byproduct can be fermented and distilled very easily into ethanol (distallation is a fairly easy and inexpensive process in comparrison to oil refining).

croat

#23 · (Edited)
theironmonk said:
funny how the "easy oil" is gone yet the oil pumps are still there and still operational.....

By the time we run out of oil we will have switched to skycars and use an alternate fuel.

We don't switch to ethanol because gas companies have a say in car design.

Did you know companies have created engines that use magnatisim to prevent lock up instead of oil, there more productive, more efficient and can go much faster. We dont have them because we would spend millions less in our life time on petroleum.

Gas companies literally slow down our evolution in technology. So they can buy there sons/ daughters the stuff they dont need but want.
Hate to bring this up a week later but I just found it now that I am back at work DRILLING IN ALASKA. The oil "pumps" as you call it is just a production rig, not the actual drilling rig that gets to the oil, which is the one that has to use the new technology. As far as destroying the Alaska habitat I am guessing you have never done any research on that claim. It is cleaner up here than your kitchen. There are drip cloths under EVERY vehicle or piece of machinery, and a spill of a tablespoon of anything (including urine) is reported and cleaned. And there is a gas bill going to the Senate about raising the taxes for the oil companies in the state. I know you just talk out of your ass but making stupid claims about what happens 4,000 miles away and including your stories about how the gas companies hold back technology is ignorant. I do not work for a oil company, I work for a company that helps get them to the oil faster and cheaper. These services cost money but not nearly as much as what they would spend if we did not solve their problems. I am no expert on ethenol and can not make any statement on it but I am all for cleaner and cheaper fuel. I do know oil and arctic drilling and can tell you that people like theironmonk are the same ones who know nothing about it and vote to block ANWR which would make our dependance on foriegn oil less and stablize prices for years until ethenol would become more readily available.

Sorry for bringing up a old thread and ranting but theironmonk was out of line and spreading ignorance is more wrong than saying nothing at all. :3_bier:

BTW do you think the oil "shortage" is because of engine oil? dumbass

#25 ·
croat said:
This is what I am all about. I am very carefull on where I spend my money, as I feel that is my small part that I am doing for mine. I refuse to shop at Walmart and will continue to sway others in my direction as they are bringing a huge decline to the American economy. Instead I shop at smaller local shops, yea I may spend a few more bucks on my overall bill but I know that the money stays here and dose not directly fuel our arrow to the west (china). Also, dont feel the need to get into it about China and everything they make as I know this and I do truley try to limit my dependance on forigen crap I dont need (and I do realize that I do buy stuff from china).

Anywho, I dont know if those of you understand the simplicity of producing ethanol. One great comparrison should be Brazil, a developing country that can fuel its entire country with it however our modernized country cannot as it would be too costly! No, in fact I would love to see the numbers of how much crop waste in Brazil (sugar cane, sugar beet, corn, etc) is used to produce their annual ethanol production versus the amount of corn by-broduct waste that is wasted everyyear in the Midwest (there is alot). This throwaway byproduct can be fermented and distilled very easily into ethanol (distallation is a fairly easy and inexpensive process in comparrison to oil refining).

croat
You and you're halfassed morals, what country did you buy your car from?

And since you want to bust in some science, you know how oil is refined? Distillation. It's the exact same process. And you mention sugar cane and beets and stuff, and how there is so much crop waste? No such thing, every little drop is squeezed out of those products, and scientists like myself buy it as crude forms of glucose and other nutrients, and then use that to make culture reagents.

#26 ·
Margaritaville said:
You and you're halfassed morals, what country did you buy your car from?

And since you want to bust in some science, you know how oil is refined? Distillation. It's the exact same process. And you mention sugar cane and beets and stuff, and how there is so much crop waste? No such thing, every little drop is squeezed out of those products, and scientists like myself buy it as crude forms of glucose and other nutrients, and then use that to make culture reagents.

And also used to make moon shine. :3_bier:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.