What would happen if you connected your battery backwards? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AJD 4 ND will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
What would happen if you connected your battery backwards?

Yes, dumb question but I was just curious as to what would actually happened if you connected your battery backwards meaning you connected the positive with the connection requiring a negative post and vice-versa??

Edit: since this has turned into a joke since noone has an educated response or idea of what would happen, I raised this question for one reason. In attempt to sell my red top battery I was asked if the negative and positive posts are backwards on the redtop... that got me thinking as to WHAT IF someone actually installed their battery backwards obviously not realizing they did so... what would happen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures and Mod List

Last edited by AJD 4 ND; 02-02-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Dedication to Thai Cuisine

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
breeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud of
Re: What would happen if you connected your battery backwards?

I would think it would fry the computer.

Lightest DD tib? 2593 lbs and falling

Quote:
I wish I had 5 Guys inside of me right now...
Quote:
That is pretty much how I felt the first time I had Five Guys...
#3 Old 02-02-2009, 11:03 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Desert_Sage has a spectacular aura aboutDesert_Sage has a spectacular aura about

if you did that, then you would have completely wasted a good battery. so yeah DONT DO IT! lol

FOR SALE: 2003 GT V6 - 169k miles
#4 Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

I guess I should have posted this in the tech area... I guess thats just the NT attitude... if you dont know the answer or have an educated response, you make a joke lol

Pictures and Mod List

#5 Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
NewTiburon.com God

farewell_goodbye2u has a spectacular aura aboutfarewell_goodbye2u has a spectacular aura about

wow. i see a lot of infractions being handed out in this thread.

not one useful post?

pretty sure your battery will be screwed and possibly other electrical components.

Quote:
Farwellgoodbye2u:did I just call you son?
fuelmj: yes
Farwellgoodbye2u : damn. ok that's fine. From now on you are my son, and your name is Carlos.
GT JOE FOR CAST ON JERSEY SHORE SEASON 2!

Last edited by farewell_goodbye2u; 02-02-2009 at 11:13 PM.
#6 Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

chris_07_tib_gs is just really nicechris_07_tib_gs is just really nicechris_07_tib_gs is just really nice

Okay seriously, I don't think it would even do anything, but I have never tried it, nor do I know anyone who has. But I guess there is a chance you could blow all of your fuses, cuz that's what happens when you cross a positive wire with a negative wire.

Why do you ask? Did you accidentally do this? Or are you thinking of doing it? And if so........WHY?

Quote:
One time I raced a Tiburon. We both lost because Tiburons are slow.
#7 Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 PM
NewTiburon.com God

JPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to all

your battery would be fine, though your electronics might suffer. You would be running the power through the ground so there would be no fuses in line to protect anything.

I givz u post count bak. hW
thank u. It was hell being a newb again....
#8 Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

edit To The First Post!!! I Guess I Have To Explain Myself More To Make This A Bit More Serious Thread

Pictures and Mod List

#9 Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
NewTiburon.com God

tibbyT has a spectacular aura abouttibbyT has a spectacular aura about

Okay back on topic if you do this you can basiaclly blow fuses and anything that has to do with semiconductors or transistors. Doing this can also screw up anything that has to do with a the battery. But dont listen to Im just a post whore

Ark | SEIBON | SFR | FG Motorsports | TWM | AEM | ROTA
#10 Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

DutchMaster0011 is an unknown quantity at this point

It should just blow the main fuse of the car, before it would do any damage to all your electrical components.

I did that a long time ago to my lawnmower and it shorted out everything. Cooked the wires, smoke was everywhere. The new battery I bought was a different brand and the terminals were backwards compared to the old one I took out. Thats what I got for not double checking.

14.776@93.29MPH
#11 Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
jprophecy is a name known to alljprophecy is a name known to alljprophecy is a name known to alljprophecy is a name known to alljprophecy is a name known to alljprophecy is a name known to all

* sigh* What ever happened to the days on a car forum where no question was a dum question when some one was looking to educa there selves. You all should be ashamed. Sorry ajd, Hooking up the battery in revers polarity could potentioaly be very harmful and very dangerouse. It is possible that the reverse surge could cause the battery to explode, most battery cases are built very durably, but it could still explode, with that a power surge large enough could destroy all the electronic components in your vehicle, kinda like an ungrounded house getting hit by lightning and all your home electronics not being hooked up to a surge protecter. You could hope the fuse box would protect it but it may not.

JProphecy for MOD 2012!!!.....Scratch that...2013 Because MORE DESU!!
#12 Old 02-03-2009, 12:12 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprophecy View Post
* sigh* What ever happened to the days on a car forum where no question was a dum question when some one was looking to educa there selves. You all should be ashamed. Sorry ajd, Hooking up the battery in revers polarity could potentioaly be very harmful and very dangerouse. It is possible that the reverse surge could cause the battery to explode, most battery cases are built very durably, but it could still explode, with that a power surge large enough could destroy all the electronic components in your vehicle, kinda like an ungrounded house getting hit by lightning and all your home electronics not being hooked up to a surge protecter. You could hope the fuse box would protect it but it may not.
thats the kind of response I was looking for I know it seems kind of like an obvious question and obv. the result probably wouldnt be very good but I was just curious as to what would be expected if this happened or what the risks were

Pictures and Mod List

#13 Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 AM
NewTiburon.com God

jprophecy is a name known to alljprophecy is a name known to alljprophecy is a name known to alljprophecy is a name known to alljprophecy is a name known to alljprophecy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD 4 ND View Post
thats the kind of response I was looking for I know it seems kind of like an obvious question and obv. the result probably wouldnt be very good but I was just curious as to what would be expected if this happened or what the risks were
Yea well the result shouldnt be that being that the purpose of a car forum is so we can all help educate each other about anything to do with cars no matter how strange or silly the question may seem, people seem to have lost sight of that. But Im glad I can be of help to any one here on the forum.

#14 Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Dave: NT Admin

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Rushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another level

Thread cleaned up, although I may have made it a little late.

Anyway, to those of you who posted useless crap consider this a warning. I'm getting tired of seeing this kind of stuff going on. Next time I see something from one of you making fun of someones question you will get an infraction for useless posting. If it's your post count your worried about we can reset that too if you'd like.

To the OP....I apologize man, I guess some people can't try and answer a question or leave the thread alone if they don't know.

#15 Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

skout can only hope to improve

The battery should be OK, but some of your electronics would be fried. I doubt there will be a low enough of a resistance with the terminals backwards to cause the battery to explode. Even if there were to be a low enough resistance for the battery to explode, the fuses would pop before the battery could reach that kind of critical point.

#16 Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skout View Post
The battery should be OK, but some of your electronics would be fried. I doubt there will be a low enough of a resistance with the terminals backwards to cause the battery to explode. Even if there were to be a low enough resistance for the battery to explode, the fuses would pop before the battery could reach that kind of critical point.
Believe it or not It can Ive seen it happen before, and battery acid is nasty!

#17 Old 02-03-2009, 01:12 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

markstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of light

time to come up with a story and email mythbusters

Work in progress
#18 Old 02-03-2009, 01:19 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by markstibbyspot View Post
time to come up with a story and email mythbusters
LOL yea how bout it, actualy though ive seen to diferent senarios, One was a new battery instal, got hooked up backwards baterry cracked in half, the other was a jump where the cables got hooked wrong, the negetive termanal and wire melted right off, and again the battery cracked open.

#19 Old 02-03-2009, 02:02 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

haha well yeah if you hook up a running car with jumper cables backwards it forces current the opposite direction into the weaker battery. Naturally it would go supernova in that situation.

I second that mythbusters idea, i don't have any extra beaters I could test the explosion theory so let's leave it up to them

#20 Old 02-03-2009, 03:22 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

V6Tibby is an unknown quantity at this point

ok well i just started a thread on the mythbusters website asking what would happen if you made this mistake. Here is a link that way you can follow what other peoples response are.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...01#40719982001
#21 Old 02-03-2009, 03:42 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Von Zipper is infamous around these parts

My brother did it on my S13 a couple of months ago. He was almost killed. Not from the battery, but from a beat down he should have received.

Just blew out some of the big fuses under the hood.
#22 Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

I did some research and retract my statement. If it weren't for the alternator you would probably be safe. It looks like hooking up a battery backwards will flow freely through your alternator's diodes (the right way) directly from - to + unless there is a fuse in the circuit. I don't recall any fuses being in an alternator circuit so it is possible for the battery to explode if your wires don't melt first. Most everything else on an automobile is on a fused circuit.

Here is a schematic diagram of an older alternator.

The current would flow from - (which would be the + in the diagram) straight through the isolator diode and through all 6 diodes in the diode tree to the + (which is would be the ground in the diagram with the triangle line things next to the 6 diode tree.)

So yes the battery could potentially explode if there are no fuses in the alternator circuit when you attached the battery backwards. This is also assuming the diodes can handle a few hundred amps long enough to pop the battery.

#23 Old 02-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Rool : Pron Spammer

hotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another level

You would probably destroy the diodes first leaving the circuit open.

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, R00l made God. Then, God made Earth."

#24 Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

yllrshark is an unknown quantity at this point

You could fry the 'shipping fuse' if you did something this stupid , Don't ask how i know ! Nothing else was damaged .

Injen CAI ,OBX type-r exhaust , slave cylinder mod , tint , debadged , Canuck Motorsports Springs , Akuza wheels gloss black/polished lip , high spoiler , LaBra...

(SOLD) ,
#25 Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Ziggy86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Good times would happen! hehe

2006 Nissan 350z // Fujita Short Ram // Zenclosures Box // Alpine Type X 10's // Rockford Fosgate 1001-bd amp // Alpine i-305 // 15% tint // Auto Start

2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT **Beater**

2006 Hyundai Tiburon GT **RIP**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.