jump start car how many amps NEED help! - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 02-15-2009, 02:46 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
tex2678
(Thread Starter)
jump start car how many amps NEED help!

Ok guys here's the deal about 2 weeks ago my car was broken into and torn apart (will post pics later) anyway I finally got the ECU rewired (from them ripping out the safc-2) and was able to start and drive the car BUT then i ****ed up and left the dome lights on and totally drained the battery (red top) anyway i went and bought one of those jump starters from autozone (the duralast 450 peak amp model) hooked it up and everything came alive like it should then when i tried to start it i just get the click click click like a machine gun and nothing didnt even turn over. Its got to be this thing not putting out enough power so what size do i need to get so i can get this thing started? getting a real jump start isn't really an option as the battery is in the trunk and I guess they broke that to as i cant seam to pop the hatch. (it makes a noise like it wants to open then nothing. I cant take the battery in to get it checked/charged anywhere as its to big/heavy to carry on the bike and i don't really have anyone that can take me without having to drive WAY out of the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TURBOED V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Dedication to Thai Cuisine

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
breeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud of
Re: jump start car how many amps NEED help!

If the battery is completely drained it will take a while before it can be jumped. I accidentally hooked my amp wire to an always on connection and it completely drained my battery. It took a good 5-10 minutes of my friends truck hooked up with jumper cables before mine started.

Lightest DD tib? 2593 lbs and falling

Quote:
I wish I had 5 Guys inside of me right now...
Quote:
That is pretty much how I felt the first time I had Five Guys...
#3 Old 02-15-2009, 03:55 PM
NewTiburon.com God

InkTheFlesh will become famous soon enough

Yeah, a 450 peak amp jump starter isn;t going to do much. Someone with a Tib needs to go out to their car and see what the CCA's on the battery are. Do it someone!

'09 Silverado Crew Cab
#4 Old 02-15-2009, 07:45 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Glassball will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkTheFlesh View Post
Yeah, a 450 peak amp jump starter isn;t going to do much. Someone with a Tib needs to go out to their car and see what the CCA's on the battery are. Do it someone!
Costco has a book with every car make and model's original battery CCA. It said the original is 600 CCA for both 2.0 and 2.7L Tibs all the way up to 2007 i believe.
#5 Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

OnceBefore is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you charge the jump starter? It might not have a full charge out of the box.

2004 GT 5-Speed
Injen SRI, SSA, Borla, F/L Headlights, 6000K HIDs, Weapon R Damper, TWM STS, KJB Shifter Bushings, Shorty Antenna
#6 Old 02-16-2009, 02:35 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

TuscaniTibby04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceBefore View Post
Did you charge the jump starter? It might not have a full charge out of the box.
That's also what I'm thinking. Secondly, how are you hooking it up? A lot of people do not know how to correctly jump start a vehicle and hook the good battery/vehicle directly to the bad battery/vehicle.

The correct way is to go from positive terminal to positive terminal.
Negative Terminal on the running car / good battery,

GROUND the negative clamp on the dead car - like clamp onto the alternator bracket or some kind of bracket on the engine. Do NOT connect to the battery.

You're not trying to "recharge" the battery, the idea is to give power to the dead vehicles' starter so that it can start and let it's own alternator recharge the dead battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.