Difficult to pump gas - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM
TNT
and his new kimchi coupe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another level
(Thread Starter)
Difficult to pump gas

I've read a few of the archived threads discussing a problem where it may be hard to pump fuel because of excessive pressure buildup in the fuel line. The gas pump will click about every 2-3 seconds and I have to pump it very very slowly and let off about every 5 seconds so gas doesn't run down the side of my car like a waterfall after I take the pump out. You can hear it gurgling inside the tank. This is getting to be EXTREMELY annoying.

As advised, I went to hyundai and bought the purge control valve that sits behind the throttle body as well as the canister close valve that sits beside the charcoal box in the back of the car. I just got gas today and it seems to have gotten worse.

Inktheflesh mentioned that the fresh air line could be getting clogged up. I have no idea where that is or what to do with it. If anyone has experienced this problem and/or knows what to do, I need to know.

NOTICE
This is not caused by a specific pump or gas station, because I go to a few different locations in my area. I know how to pump gas and have now become an expert so to avoid spilling gas all over the car. This problem has been going on for about 4 months now each time I get gas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gone, but not forgotten: 2003 GT V6 6MT in Jet Black @ 102,000 mi
Traded: Early 2003 GT V6 Auto in Super Silver @ 194,869 mi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 6MT in Silverstone

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2009, 05:08 PM
NewTiburon.com God

mbradley2020 will become famous soon enoughmbradley2020 will become famous soon enough
Re: Difficult to pump gas

Sounds like the vent tube is clogged

Quote:
I PHUCKING LOVE YOU !~!!!!

2003 Rally Red GT, T Badged, CIW Wheels, Custom Exhaust, Poly MMs, Nightshaded Tails, STS, Spec / Findanza Combo.
#3 Old 06-28-2009, 05:10 PM
TNT
and his new kimchi coupe

TNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another level
(Thread Starter)

Thank you. Where is it and what do I do?

#4 Old 06-28-2009, 05:16 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Tuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond repute

i have the same problem everytime i pump

it is super annoying

MY OTHER RIDE PULLS YOURS OVER.
And my other ride is a Tree Fiddy Z
#5 Old 06-28-2009, 05:18 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

CarrRyanE has a spectacular aura aboutCarrRyanE has a spectacular aura aboutCarrRyanE has a spectacular aura about

I believe its near the sending unit under your seats in the back. I would look um diagrams off the service site.
#6 Old 06-28-2009, 05:22 PM
NewTiburon.com God

JCKnights3707 is a glorious beacon of lightJCKnights3707 is a glorious beacon of lightJCKnights3707 is a glorious beacon of lightJCKnights3707 is a glorious beacon of lightJCKnights3707 is a glorious beacon of light

It hooks up to the infamous charcoal box that ruins the look for those who cut their diffuser. Just look for a tube that connects to it. Follow it, and see if it goes to the gas tank. If so, that's the air vent/purge thing.

Gamz: Yeah, it's not like you can get a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot like a retard. Kinda defeats the purpose....
MrPhotoman: I bet yo ca is so fast yo dat it go into a black hole when yo floor it yo cauzz it rip a hole in dat time/space continuum shlt yo.
Mods: Injen, RPW, Borla, Bosch, Enkei, Espelir, Diode Dynamics, BassTib, FFF Nightshade
#7 Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 PM
TNT
and his new kimchi coupe

(Thread Starter)

Ok, so look for the hose that runs from the fuel tank to the charcoal box. Thanks.

#8 Old 06-28-2009, 05:28 PM
NewTiburon.com God

JCKnights3707 is a glorious beacon of lightJCKnights3707 is a glorious beacon of lightJCKnights3707 is a glorious beacon of lightJCKnights3707 is a glorious beacon of lightJCKnights3707 is a glorious beacon of light

Sure, anytime. Heard someone with a similar problem on Car Talk a week or two ago, that's the only reason I knew the answer. Basically it vents the displaced air (which is full of fumes) to the charcoal box to filter it.

Gamz: Yeah, it's not like you can get a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot like a retard. Kinda defeats the purpose....
MrPhotoman: I bet yo ca is so fast yo dat it go into a black hole when yo floor it yo cauzz it rip a hole in dat time/space continuum shlt yo.
Mods: Injen, RPW, Borla, Bosch, Enkei, Espelir, Diode Dynamics, BassTib, FFF Nightshade

Last edited by JCKnights3707; 06-28-2009 at 05:30 PM.
#9 Old 06-28-2009, 07:52 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

1sikgt_4u can only hope to improve

i just experienced the same problem yesterday... gas all over my car and just had it detailed, inside and out. sucks!!!!
TNT if what JCKNIGHTS told you works, let me know so i can do the same. Thanks would really appreciate it.
#10 Old 09-05-2009, 11:25 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Pelfrey733 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have a solution!? Same problem...takes 5 mins to pump $10/gas BS auto mchanic took tank apart and blamed it on a small feeder hose so copped it up to poor design...weird how this was NEVER a problem 3 months ago...guess these feeder hoses magically shrink...ugh, mechanics.
#11 Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 PM
NewTiburon.com God

jodashfowla83 will become famous soon enough

this happens to me everynow and then also!!

"I belive, therefore I am."
"Knowledge and Courage....the elements of Greatness."
"If you didn't build it, It isn't yours."

lisa05'
#12 Old 09-05-2009, 11:35 PM
NT's Death Knight

UnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond repute

actually, most of the time its the charcoal box.. or the evap module under the hood... the tubes get bent after modding, and then it won't suck the pressure out of the tank

You Are Only As Good As Your Last Idea! /

#13 Old 09-06-2009, 12:31 AM
NewTiburon.com God

silvertibby06 has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertibby06 has a spectacular aura about

I've always had this problem since the day I've purchased my car! It's annoying as **** and I wish Hyundai was a lot more smarter about this situation. One thing I've notice to gets rid of this issue is when I pump the gas, I usually raise it up towards the top. I don't know if that made any sense but you can't let the pump sit idle expecting it won't stop after a few seconds. STUPID HYUNDAI! Times like these I hate what they done to the Tibs!

Quote:
i put glitter on my balls and stand naked on the dance floor and have people shoot mah nutz with the green laser for a pretty light show.
#14 Old 09-06-2009, 12:23 PM
NewTiburon.com God

kevin217 will become famous soon enough

i have this same problem....
VERY annoying

Old:
Boosted 2003 I4, Garret T3T4 @10psi - SOLD
2008 SE - Stage 1 Sniper - SOLD

New - 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec
#15 Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Pelfrey733 is an unknown quantity at this point

ALL:
I FOUND A FIX!!!!!

Since posting yesterday, I decided to drop the Charcoal box and have a look...When I pulled the thicker vent line connecting to the charcoal box, about a pound of small charcoal bits came pouring out. It was a clog!...

My situation WAS just like 'TNT's ...SOOO annoying, right!? I think anyone that has experienced this can agree...And like many of us, I was sick and tired of hearing its how you hold the pump, or that its Tiburon design flaw blah blah blah....Not to say those might add up to a very SMALL percentage of the problem..BUT my issue was COMPLETELY fixed by dropping the charcoal box, un plugging the hoses and letting all the charcoal that had gotten forced in the lines come rolling out...Once it got up there, its a pretty sharp degree angle the vent line takes to plug into the Charcoal box so it just got stuck forming a clog...

Took me about 20 mins, went to the gas pump, and shouted for joy as I made full throttle pump past $2.50, then $5, then $20 with absolutely NO pump kick offs! thanks for all the help guys, You ROCK!!!
#16 Old 02-13-2010, 03:28 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

727-T is an unknown quantity at this point

sweet, ive been dealing with that problem for some time now aswell, im going to try that out man
#17 Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
TNT
and his new kimchi coupe

(Thread Starter)

I dumped a ton of charcoal out of that hose. However, my vent hose kept clogging almost immediately after the first fillup.

#18 Old 02-24-2010, 02:10 PM
TNT
and his new kimchi coupe

(Thread Starter)

OK, I finally got around to doing something more drastic to solve this issue. The verdict: FINALLY FIXED! (should be....for now at least)

I didn't want to delete the box, but I did remove it, and dumped all the charcoal out. It sounded like there was a separate chamber that still had some in it, but, I shook the box for about 10 minutes and about a half gallon container's worth of charcoal slowly poured out until there was no more coming out.

I then cleared the clogged vent hose. The clog is probably 4 inches away from where the vent hose connects to the charcoal box...you can feel it if you squeeze the hose with your hand. Just knock it against something and it will clear itself out.

I reconnected everything, no CEL, went to the gas station and pumped at max flow and the pump didn't stop a single time. Put $10 quickly, like normal.

I'll update this a couple weeks from now in case any problems arise.

Last edited by TNT; 02-24-2010 at 02:13 PM.
#19 Old 02-24-2010, 02:18 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

apatter8

I'm gonna have to check this out, before mine gets worse. Thanks guys.
#20 Old 02-24-2010, 04:31 PM
NewTiburon.com God

What? I actually made a positive contribution to this forum...C'est impossible!

Last edited by JCKnights3707; 06-19-2010 at 01:05 AM.
#21 Old 06-19-2010, 12:55 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

mattman is an unknown quantity at this point

anybody have any pictures of this? like of the hose and such..
#22 Old 03-28-2011, 04:06 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

GF'sTib is an unknown quantity at this point

My GF's Tib has somewhat of the same prob. pics would help a great deal
#23 Old 03-28-2011, 04:12 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Tcarboy7 will become famous soon enoughTcarboy7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF'sTib View Post
My GF's Tib has somewhat of the same prob. pics would help a great deal
underneath the rear of the car their is a black box, take that off and clean it out, if you look under her car you will see it

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 6SPD
BONE STOCK
#24 Old 03-28-2011, 04:23 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

GF'sTib is an unknown quantity at this point

Could this be linked to it not wanting to run after we fill up. it gets hard to start, and dies out
#25 Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Delecroix is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll try this later on tomorrow when I install my new gas tank air filter...weather depending.

2003 5Spd 2.7L V6
Current Mods: Enkei GW8 17" rims w/ red trim, AEM SRI, Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion spark plugs, Bosch Magneto ignition wires, slit turn signals, Ralco STS, Greddy Evo2 exhaust
Soon to come: SSA V2 headers & Crower Cams
Future Mods: Red AE headlights w/ 4300K HID, M&S Carart Warrior wide body kit, black/red pearlescent paint, shaved antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.