Can't start, hazzard lights stay on, BCM problem? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
rampagerules is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Can't start, hazzard lights stay on, BCM problem?

Hey crew,

Need you hep on this on. Yesterday I went to start my '03 V6 Tibby and the engine would barely turn over. I ended up replacing the battery and it turns over fine now. However the 4 way flashers won't go off. I tried leaving the car in the on position a couple of times for any where from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. That didn't work.

More importantly the cars electrical system is behaving very erratically. Last night the doors kept locking and unlocking themselves repeatedly and this morning I keep hearing what sounds like a relay engaging and disengaging in the BCM area.

So my question is do you think it's just a matter of chaning a relay in the BCM or is the whole unit shot?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-02-2010, 09:59 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

bttfpromo will become famous soon enough
Re: Can't start, hazzard lights stay on, BCM problem?

If this helps,

The BCM fuse for the door locks is the sunroof fuse, and the fuse for the flashers may be the same fuse or the audio fuse or something different. I'm not sure.

Former TIburon Owner
2005 Honda Accord Hybrid
#3 Old 12-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Very nice British bloke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
the dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to behold

sounds like the legendary bcm relay problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian fulcher
"dupleman headrests add no wheel hp but it gives you something to look at when banging ugly chicks in the front seat"
Owner of the 2010 UKHCC CAR OF THE YEAR
Newtiburon.com mini sponsor of the year 2010 and 2011
Newtiburon.com product of the year 2010-SIII seats
HRH QUEEN ELIZABETH'S ROYAL ENVOY ASSIGNED TO EDUCATE YANKS ON NEWTIBURON.COM
#4 Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of

theres a DIY on how to replace the relay and on what part to order, if you have moderate knowledge on how to solder its not a very hard task, if you dont think your up to it a shop should be able to do it for about an hours labor
#5 Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
BramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of light

Do your hazards just stay on consistently, or are they flashing on and off? If they are flashing does it co-inside with the doors locking and unlocking? Just thinking it may be more then just the indicator relay, since the doors are locking and unlocking.
#6 Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Hey Brampton Tib,

Yes the hazards flash on and off just like normal operation (when I go to start the car). It also coincides with the doors locking and unlocking.

Thanks for all the help so far!
#7 Old 12-02-2010, 02:28 PM
NewTiburon.com God

BramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of light

Happy to try and help. Just so I understand the situation correctly. So your doors are continually locking and unlocking even with the car turned off, and the hazards blink as the doors lock and unlock. Does it also happen while you are driving. Like your doors are locking and unlocking continually while you're driving down the road?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to fully understand exactly what you're experiencing.
#8 Old 12-02-2010, 02:45 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Nope, I can't start the car at all. Now the door locks seem to be alright but when I open car door I hear this click click click sound from the BCM area. It's like a relay is actuating on an off about three times. It stops for a second and then keeps doing it. Then when I put the key in the "on" position the 4 ways (or hazard lights) go on and off and I can't start the car. I've tried leaving it in the on position (this is how you supposedly get of the theft mode) but it doesn't work. So I'm stuck in this mode and can't get my car running. The engine turns over it just won't catch.

Hope that helps, Tom
#9 Old 12-02-2010, 02:55 PM
NewTiburon.com God

nsx_swami is a glorious beacon of lightnsx_swami is a glorious beacon of lightnsx_swami is a glorious beacon of lightnsx_swami is a glorious beacon of lightnsx_swami is a glorious beacon of light

Unless the lights stay on even when the key isn't in the ignition then it probably isn't the relay. Every person that I have heard with a relay problem (myself included) had the lights stuck on no matter what. I know that doesn't help much but it at least eliminates one of the potentional problems.
You should maybe try replacing the fuses. They don't cost much and its at least step one of troubleshooting the problem. If that doesn't help then its possible that your BCM really is FUBAR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterking;
Again, run away please. the adults are talking.
#10 Old 12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
NewTiburon.com God

I'm really not sure, could be something with your Immobilizer, as you mention the car turns over but won't start. I don't know why the hazards flash when you turn the car on. Maybe 2 separate issues?? I've looked over a bunch of the circuit diagrams for the car, here's something you could check, but honestly it's a long shot.

I noticed that the 50A BATT Fusible Link which protects the alternator, also provides memory power to the immobilizer. So what if that Fusible link burned out the last time you were driving. I think this would cause the Alternator to stop charging the battery. So you get home with the battery almost dead, next day car won't start, replace battery, still won't start, as that Fusible link is burned out, and therefore not providing power to the immobilizer circuit in the BCM, so now the car won't start because the immobilizer isn't powered.

The 50A BATT Fusible link is in the Relay box in the engine compartment (right side in the center). There should be a diagram in their showing the BATT 50A. Use an ohm meter to test.

Again, a long shot, but that's the best I could come up with.
#11 Old 12-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Very nice British bloke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
the dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to behold

my headlights didnt stay on.locks went wild and indicators stuck on

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian fulcher
"dupleman headrests add no wheel hp but it gives you something to look at when banging ugly chicks in the front seat"
Owner of the 2010 UKHCC CAR OF THE YEAR
Newtiburon.com mini sponsor of the year 2010 and 2011
Newtiburon.com product of the year 2010-SIII seats
HRH QUEEN ELIZABETH'S ROYAL ENVOY ASSIGNED TO EDUCATE YANKS ON NEWTIBURON.COM
#12 Old 12-02-2010, 06:30 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Hey guys,

I checked the 50A Batt fuse and it looks good. I didn't have a ohm meter but the link appears to be solid.

Dupleman, how did you fix your problem?

Also if I need a new BCM where can I get the part number. It's an '03, standard V6?

The journey continues.
#13 Old 12-02-2010, 06:35 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Regarding the relay you here clicking. Is it constant, like if you just sit in your car with the power off will it just keep clicking and clicking. If so, try going through and pulling fuses. Maybe start with the 10A hazards fuse, then the 15A sunroof fuse (which also protects the power door locks). See if the clicking stops after pulling the fuse. If those 2 don't make it stop, keep going with others. Might help to isolate which relay is doing all the clicking.
#14 Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 PM
NewTiburon.com God

If you do end up needing a new BCM, check out this thread
__*** BCM Turn Signal Fix ***__

From what I read it's about $800 plus you'll need Hyundai to program the immobilizer. If you need this fixed ASAP maybe best bet would be to take it to a dealer. Since if it is the BCM they need to program it anyway, maybe they can diagnose the issue with the HiScan Pro tool they have. If you have some time keep the info coming and I'll see if I can think of anything else.
#15 Old 12-03-2010, 12:23 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Well, my buddy and I tried all the suggestions but it seems like the problem is coming from the BCM unit. We pulled it out and we are going to test the relays and see if one is defective. Since they are mechanical is seems a lot more likely that is where the problem is coming from.

I'll post results and let you all know what happens.

Thanks for all the help so far, RR
#16 Old 12-03-2010, 12:40 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

redcoop is an unknown quantity at this point

Had the same issues. After replacing the BCM, it returned. At the end of the day it turned out to be a dry joint where the battery holder is soldered to the PCB in your remote fob. Have this resoldered and Bob's your Uncle

#17 Old 12-03-2010, 01:37 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Hey redcoop,

How did you figure out the fob was causing the problem? I checked mine and the joint seems to be fine.
#18 Old 12-03-2010, 01:59 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all

Had the same issue. Turns out a wire that I don't think was supposed to be there heated up and caused my BCM to melt. Also took out a couple wires with it.

That was fun. 1100 dollars later and I still had to fix it myself. With some help.

Odd question. If you try to turn the high beams on and then off, does the high beam indicator light stay on even after you shut them off?

2012 Nov - COTM - Best Regional Tiburon (Canada)

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
#19 Old 12-03-2010, 02:06 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

redcoop is an unknown quantity at this point

When you open the remote fob, you will see if the battery holder contacts are loose by giving it a gentle wiggle. Any movement means re solder. When I resoldersed mine, the problem went away and that was over a year ago. Before that the problem would happen intermittantly.

What happen, I am told, is that a shortened signal is sent to the BCM which then interprets that as a break in attempt and the immobiliser activates. I was able to use the limp home start code to over ride it once but not thereafter.

Hope this helps

#20 Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 AM
NewTiburon.com God

The remote fob sounds like a good bet as all your symptoms are almost like the alarm keeps arming and disarming. Doors locking/unlocking, four ways blinking. Did you get a spare remote fob when you bought your car? Easiest test might be to use the spare. Just make sure the one you usually use is far enough from the car that it can't get a signal to it.
#21 Old 12-04-2010, 12:17 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

GOT IT WORKING! WOO HOO!

We took out the BCM last night and the first thing we noticed was that it was wet and there was fluid leaking from it. I left the car in the driveway for two days in heavy rain but how could water get in it?

Well we took the board out of the BCM and sure enough there was water in it and part of the board looked like it had oxidized. Luckily I have a friend who repairs boards for a living and he cleaned it up.

Put it back in Tibby and right away the flashers stopped blinking. I knew before I turned the key it would work and sure enough it started on the first try. I'm not sure if water got in where the amp power line comes in but it definitively followed a wire. Maybe a window seal is going or my window wasn't up all the way.

Regardless, thanks everyone for their help. This form has helped me out numerous times, and although I'm looking to get a truck soon I will miss my Tiburon dearly. I got it right when it came out and thought it was a winner right from the start. I like the wheels, brakes and engine on the Genesis but I really think the Tiburon should have been continued.

Thanks again everyone, RR
#22 Old 12-04-2010, 01:35 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all

Glad it's fixed.

2012 Nov - COTM - Best Regional Tiburon (Canada)

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
#23 Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
GK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampagerules View Post
GOT IT WORKING! WOO HOO!

We took out the BCM last night and the first thing we noticed was that it was wet and there was fluid leaking from it. I left the car in the driveway for two days in heavy rain but how could water get in it?

Well we took the board out of the BCM and sure enough there was water in it and part of the board looked like it had oxidized. Luckily I have a friend who repairs boards for a living and he cleaned it up.

Put it back in Tibby and right away the flashers stopped blinking. I knew before I turned the key it would work and sure enough it started on the first try. I'm not sure if water got in where the amp power line comes in but it definitively followed a wire. Maybe a window seal is going or my window wasn't up all the way.

Regardless, thanks everyone for their help. This form has helped me out numerous times, and although I'm looking to get a truck soon I will miss my Tiburon dearly. I got it right when it came out and thought it was a winner right from the start. I like the wheels, brakes and engine on the Genesis but I really think the Tiburon should have been continued.

Thanks again everyone, RR
Awesome!

btw where in Canada are you located? I suspect my BCM will go bust at some point considering how old my car is.. if so I may be interested in contacting your electrical circuit friend

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.