LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
italiano66 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 2008 tiburon clutch problems

Has anyone else had problems with there 08 Hyundai Tiburon Clutch system, flywheel and pressure plates if so please contact me. Please post on here as well thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Re: 2008 tiburon clutch problems

Dealership is saying the clutch has been abused and nothing is covered under warranty because of my AEM cold air intake. That the CAI adds horse power and torque that the clutch can't handle, i had to laugh!! So long story short their charging me 2300 to fix the clutch system after 30k miles on it. If anyone else is having this problem please contact me with your story so I can put together something for the better good and we all can get out money back..
#3 Old 01-22-2011, 01:00 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Tcarboy7 will become famous soon enoughTcarboy7 will become famous soon enough
Re: 2008 tiburon clutch problems

as far as i know the Clutch problem was fixed after the 03/04 tiburon's....but i could be wrong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 6SPD
BONE STOCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#4 Old 01-22-2011, 01:13 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarboy7 View Post
as far as i know the Clutch problem was fixed after the 03/04 tiburon's....but i could be wrong
not saying anyone is wrong, i have how ever found several cases so far of people having problems with their 08 Tibs. since I've started this endeavor. I actually thought they had fixed it also, thus the reason why I went a head and bought the 08. IDK but it seems this is like Ford and the Transmissions back in the 90's they just couldn't get them right. I have a feeling this is why the decided to take the Tiburon's off the production line. Thanks for you post Tcarboy7 every little bit helps.
#5 Old 01-22-2011, 01:41 PM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of

ah... 2300.... no that wont do... dont let them lay another finger on that car.... thats bs,, i would call hyundai HO and argue your case, you have full rights as your car is so young in its warranty life if that fails i would go back to the dealer and inform them you are going to the local news saying that you are being treated unfairly and they are trying to take advantage of you as a new car owner. and if that is how Hyundai treats its customers then im sure the public would like to be informed. 2300 is bs for a clutch job anyways and with your low millage even if you beat on it there should be no reason for failure even with CAI and that should only void warranty for the intake system and possibly engine internals, transmission has nothing to do with it. be strong and dont give up because they will fold you are completely in your rights with your warranty even tho it is not covered that is so young for a clutch to fail they have to cover it

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
Isnt it amazing how quickly everyone can turn against you
#6 Old 01-22-2011, 03:10 PM
NewTiburon.com God

yeah. im still on the stock clutch in my tib and im at 60,000 miles (gotta do timing belt soon). but just to see, i went to a local dealership and they quoted me $1,400 for a new OEM clutch. but when mine goes im gonna do the install myself....i was just seeing what kinda numbers he would throw at me.

BONE STOCK
#7 Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of

it took me 3 days with a bad back to do the sub frame and clutch on my tib, i also did allot of little things aswell. then i did another just clutch install, took about 9hrs and had numerous problems with figment due to the machine shop messing up the flywheel resurfacing. i really enjoyed doing stuff like that..

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
#8 Old 01-22-2011, 03:26 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
it took me 3 days with a bad back to do the sub frame and clutch on my tib, i also did allot of little things aswell. then i did another just clutch install, took about 9hrs and had numerous problems with figment due to the machine shop messing up the flywheel resurfacing. i really enjoyed doing stuff like that..
haha 3 days taking your time is better then some others that have done a clutch on a FWD. ive never done a V6 clutch but ive done 3 I4 Hyundai Elantra clutches on my own and it wasnt hard at all...as long as you have the right tools.

BONE STOCK
#9 Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

08Shark will become famous soon enough

Since this was brought up i will say that my clutch in my 08 i4 has slipped a few times, a couple times after trying to back down and take off, which is hardly ever do, but my car only has 50,000 kilometers on it and has never been in snow so i don't quite understand how it slips. it doesn;t do it everytime though. I figure if i can get another couple summers out of it imma do a stage 2 with a lightweight flywheel anyway.

As for your warranty that is bs, its nothing that they are lossing on all they have to do is tell the HO service depatment they have a tib with 30k miles and has a bad clutch, CAI in no way should void your warranty. My dealer is putting my new ARK DT-S V3. on when it comes in.. and warranty isnt an issue. how is it hurting anything, its a tuned exhaust designed for the car, same with the cai. To top it all off, AEM makes the Intake for hyundai canada as a factory option, its voiding your warranty seems foolish.

08 Tibby GS Sport 5 Speed...
- Alpine INA-W900, Alpine KCE-400BT, Alpine PLV-7, Alpine MRD-F450, Sirius Connect, 80 Gig iPod Classic
- FUJITA CAI, Ralco STS, Mussa Front Strut Bar, 8000K H.I.D.'s in Lows and Fogs
- ARK Shorty Antenna, ARK DTS V.2 Exhaust, Factory Covered Eibach Drop
- 18" ADR Phantoms - Wrapped in Nexen NS-II's
- StreetGlow Blue Line Series Neons (Blue) LiteGlow Blue Interior Kit.
#10 Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

414Tibby

under hyundais warranty though the clutch is only covered for 2 years then its out of warranty. So tha maybe the issue unless you have an extended warranty of some sort? And don't be too surprised a lot of kits have had theirs go at about 30,000. As far as price do not pay 2300 that is a ridiculous amount.

Past: 07 blue SE

Current: 04 black GT, Ark Antenna, Ark GT-F springs, KYB Excel-G struts, RRM rear and front strut bars, Removed backseats, Injen SRI
#11 Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarboy7 View Post
haha 3 days taking your time is better then some others that have done a clutch on a FWD. ive never done a V6 clutch but ive done 3 I4 Hyundai Elantra clutches on my own and it wasnt hard at all...as long as you have the right tools.
it was brutal i pulled my back while lowering the sub frame by myself, foolishly laying on my back supporting the whole frame with my arm fully extended, i was stranded on the garage floor for half and hour while the worst songs on my iphones playlist played one after another, it truly was hell lol if i hadnt hurt my back it would have been 2 days max to do a clutch and subframe. the i4's are so awesome to work on theres so much room lol

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
#12 Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

HardcoreBacon is an unknown quantity at this point

My 07 v6 clutch went bad at 25000km I believe. They tried to blame it on me for abusing it but then they found out the clutch wasnt fully engaging and disengaging so they covered it under warranty
#13 Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
NewTiburon.com God

mmd2434 has a spectacular aura aboutmmd2434 has a spectacular aura about

2,300??! thats absurd. your better off buying an afftermarket clutch kit and having someone install it. as for me i have a 2007 5sp. the clutch bothers me alll the time. idk maybe its just me but fiirst of all it catches way too high and its hard sometimes to get a smooth engage. sometimes when the car is cold it wont go into reverse and i have to pump the clutch in and out and then its fine. i think hyundai clutches are just kinda weak in my opinion. there isnt much wrong about these cars that ive read on here besides the clutches being so bad. and dont let them tell you a cai adds too much horsepower for the clutch lol. that doesnt even make sense. some peoople supercharge these cars with the stock clutch. a cai only adds like 5-8 hp which the clutch can easily handle on its own.

2007 i4 5sp. Stagg SHS Struts. Tein Springs. AEM SRI. 5 Zigen's. SFR STS . NIA Eyelids. R1 Concepts Premium Drilled/Slotted Rotors. Stop tech pads. Spec Stage 1 with F1 Lightweight Flywheel. Custom Single Exhaust with Magnaflow HFC and OBX Type-R Muffler. Slave Cylinder Mod. 10mm Rear Spacers. Kenwood and Sony audio.

<---- My Tib
#14 Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned

Doomsday Postcard is an unknown quantity at this point

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fraudulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.312 administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

make sure they can PROVE the extra 3 hp to the wheels actually caused the failure!
#15 Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

mrjcubed

I bought my 07 se used with 44,000 miles on it about 6 months ago. The dealership said they had to replace the clutch because the previous owner did not know how to drive manual. I don't know if the previous owner could drive or the clutch is just not that good. Either way I'm glad they replaced it.

I am really thinking of doing the slave cylinder mod.
#16 Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
dctibby will become famous soon enoughdctibby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmd2434 View Post
2,300??! thats absurd. your better off buying an afftermarket clutch kit and having someone install it. as for me i have a 2007 5sp. the clutch bothers me alll the time. idk maybe its just me but fiirst of all it catches way too high and its hard sometimes to get a smooth engage. sometimes when the car is cold it wont go into reverse and i have to pump the clutch in and out and then its fine. i think hyundai clutches are just kinda weak in my opinion. there isnt much wrong about these cars that ive read on here besides the clutches being so bad. and dont let them tell you a cai adds too much horsepower for the clutch lol. that doesnt even make sense. some peoople supercharge these cars with the stock clutch. a cai only adds like 5-8 hp which the clutch can easily handle on its own.
My 2007 V6 has a very grabby clutch, too. It is hard to engage it smoothly in 1st or reverse, but is OK in all other gears. My dealer checked it and said it is working fine. I had an 04 GT and never had this problem.

2007 SE Quicksilver
Fujita CAI, B&M STS with Maxima knob, Custom catback quad exhaust, Blue Racer gauges, Eclipse DVD/Nav/Bluetooth HU, HD tuner, iPod, Alpine 3-way speakers, Pioneer sub, Power Acoustik amp, T badges, Diode Dynamics SMD Angel Eyes
#17 Old 01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

They said the clutch was abused because of a combination of the CAI as well as flywheel shaft was broken off. Hows does this happen you have to ask yourself? I can tell you this i will swear on a stack of bibles the way i drive is not out of the norm of anyone else with these cars. sure I've gotten on it before, but aren't these cars built to take some kind of beating? I had and 89 Toyota corolla SR5 5sp for 5 yrs beat the living hell out of it, i took that car in to game reserve (forest), through sugar sand and good sized mud puddles never had a problem with the clutch. I dropped the clutch and raced around that car all the time. In other words I got it out of my system with that car. Two Tiburon's, Two clutch problems and neither on of them have seen sand or mud. I've been diving manual transmissions since i started driving at the age of 16 I'm now 29. I may not be the best but I know enough to not break a flywheel shaft.. What gets is the dealership in Orlando honored the clutch i my first tib and i didn't have a problem after that. i had it for 4 more yrs until i had to let the insurance total the car out ( not my fault). Either way, the out come is thus far that I had to pay the 2300 in order to get my car back. My father got involved and approved the work before I could do anything. Now the fight is to get my money back. I called HO today and reported the whole thing to them. Jenkins Hyundai of Ocala is in for a long ride i can tell you this.. I'm taking the proper steps in order to bring them to there knees believe me when i say they had their chance to make right on the situation. I showed them all kinds of info on this reoccurring problem. It's not in the hands of HO if i can't get anywhere with them I'll go further..

Thanks everyone for your help thus far, keep the comments coming I'm building a case.

Last edited by italiano66; 01-24-2011 at 01:34 PM.
#18 Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctibby View Post
My 2007 V6 has a very grabby clutch, too. It is hard to engage it smoothly in 1st or reverse, but is OK in all other gears. My dealer checked it and said it is working fine. I had an 04 GT and never had this problem.
not sure if yours does it as well but my gas pedal really bothers me sometimes. its really hard to maintain a smooth motion when giving it some gas. especially when coming our of first. its almost like something is blocking the pedal, i dont know how to really explain it. it just feels like the gas pedal is sticky i guess. but yes my clutch is also pretty grabby. and reverse idk man if i let go of the clutch my car starts shaking. i basically have to ride the clutch a little when reversing. its kind of annoying. but i love my car so i deal with it.

2007 i4 5sp. Stagg SHS Struts. Tein Springs. AEM SRI. 5 Zigen's. SFR STS . NIA Eyelids. R1 Concepts Premium Drilled/Slotted Rotors. Stop tech pads. Spec Stage 1 with F1 Lightweight Flywheel. Custom Single Exhaust with Magnaflow HFC and OBX Type-R Muffler. Slave Cylinder Mod. 10mm Rear Spacers. Kenwood and Sony audio.

<---- My Tib
#19 Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

That's how mine was the gas pedal would either not allow the right mixture and the clutch would pop then go into gear. You should bring it to someone you trust and is a tech. let them drive the car. I'm telling man i don't ever want to bring my car in to the dealership for repairs again. That are lying sneak bastards that should all be put to rest. What happen to the good mechanics in the world?? The truthful, honest peeps??
#20 Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Postcard View Post
The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fraudulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.312 administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

make sure they can PROVE the extra 3 hp to the wheels actually caused the failure!

Now their saying i made improvements to the engine as well as the exhaust system, and thats its the fastest Tiburon they've seen.. lol!! I could help but laugh when i heard that.
#21 Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 PM
TNT
and his new kimchi coupe

TNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another level

Aw man, more clutch issues. Your old tib must have been an 03, hence the dealership's willingness to honor the warranty work. Dealerships are all crooked, no matter where you go. Use the magnusson-moss warranty act to your advantage, consult a lawyer and make the dealership honor the warranty you paid for.

FYI, the aftermarket clutches are much stronger. The GK clutches have always been weak, and the 6-speed transmission. Just before my 6-speed was totaled, my syncros were starting to go at 102k miles. On the other hand, my automatic tib has been very reliable and takes its beating in stride everyday.

Gone, but not forgotten: 2003 GT V6 6MT in Jet Black @ 102,000 mi
Traded: Early 2003 GT V6 Auto in Super Silver @ 194,869 mi

Current: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 6MT in Silverstone

Last edited by TNT; 01-25-2011 at 12:48 PM.
#22 Old 01-25-2011, 01:07 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano66 View Post
That's how mine was the gas pedal would either not allow the right mixture and the clutch would pop then go into gear. You should bring it to someone you trust and is a tech. let them drive the car. I'm telling man i don't ever want to bring my car in to the dealership for repairs again. That are lying sneak bastards that should all be put to rest. What happen to the good mechanics in the world?? The truthful, honest peeps??

definitely never take it to the dealer, not just for hyundai for any car.unless theres a recall of some sort or you absolutely have to. they will rip you off so bad whatever way they can. when i had my last car (jetta) i had to get a new key. so i went to the dealer and bought they key which was 160$, which is ridiculous to begin with for a key, then when they programmed it which took maybe 3 mins i had to pay 78$ for labor! it was a joke. ill never take my car to a dealer ever again. and listen to TNT, because from what ive read on here, the people who have gotten a new aftermarket clutch is 10 times happier with it. if they wont fix the clutch for you for free, your probably better off shopping around online for an aftermarket clutch and having a local mechanic shop that you trust install it.

<---- My Tib
#23 Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Bobby D. is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmd2434 View Post
...better off shopping around online for an aftermarket clutch and having a local mechanic shop that you trust install it.
What are some good aftermarket clutches out there for an 08 Tiburon? mine is starting to take a dump on me...
#24 Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

eternistarr will become famous soon enougheternistarr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano66 View Post
Now their saying i made improvements to the engine as well as the exhaust system, and thats its the fastest Tiburon they've seen.. lol!! I could help but laugh when i heard that.
Did you ever get this sorted out? I just had mine replaced a month or two ago Told them it felt funny they drove it said the flywheel was broke and ruined the clutch the replaced everything without even blinking. I love my dealership they always take good care of me.

~Katana~
#25 Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

gabbagabbahey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby D. View Post
What are some good aftermarket clutches out there for an 08 Tiburon? mine is starting to take a dump on me...
Clutchmaster stage 1/2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.