p0501 Code - 6 Speed Tiburon.. Help? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 10-17-2011, 11:15 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tiburon_GT_V6 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
p0501 Code - 6 Speed Tiburon.. Help?

First of all I guess I will start out by saying HI and that I am new to the forums. I just got rid of my beloved Grand Prix GTP to get the 03 Tiburon GT 6 Speed. All and all I like the car a lot, but it is very different. The guy told me it has a stage 2 clutch and let me tell ya I still can't get used to it. Anyways I am having problems with " going fast / accelerating " my car will not allow me to go over 5,000RPM or it falls on its face, it chokes. CEL is on and reading po code 501 Speed Sensor, so I take it thats what it is. I can not track one down for anything, any advice or anyone selling one?

Thanks guys,
Corey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
GK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to behold
Garage
Re: p0501 Code - 6 Speed Tiburon.. Help?

I have the same problem at the moment. It'll be either your driver's or passenger side speed sensor.. I don't think there's a way of finding which one, but let me ask you, did you recently hit something like a pothole really hard lately? That's what happened to me.. somehow that broke my sensor on the wheel I hit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

September 2014 COTM: BEST MANUAL TIBURON
June 2014 COTM: BEST INTERIOR
2013 MOTY: BEST PHOTOCHOP ARTIST
#3 Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK27V6 View Post
I have the same problem at the moment. It'll be either your driver's or passenger side speed sensor.. I don't think there's a way of finding which one, but let me ask you, did you recently hit something like a pothole really hard lately? That's what happened to me.. somehow that broke my sensor on the wheel I hit.
Nope. I actually got the car a week ago and it already had the problem, my concern is the previous owner told me the speed sensor is on top of the transmission so I am just confused.
#4 Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 AM
shh... I'm printing!

GK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to behold
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon_GT_V6 View Post
Nope. I actually got the car a week ago and it already had the problem, my concern is the previous owner told me the speed sensor is on top of the transmission so I am just confused.
Oh sorry let me clarify.. there are two different speed sensors.. the ones like I mentioned above, and the one that is in the transmission, which is held in with a single bolt so it's not too hard to replace. One is called sensor 'A' while the other is called 'B' I can't tell you which is which right now.

#5 Old 10-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Dedication to Thai Cuisine

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
breeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud of

I had read the 5000 rpm limit is set in place when the abs wheel speed sensor is damaged

Lightest DD tib? 2593 lbs and falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Blue View Post
I wish I had 5 Guys inside of me right now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takahashi240 View Post
That is pretty much how I felt the first time I had Five Guys...
#6 Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 AM
shh... I'm printing!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeechan View Post
I had read the 5000 rpm limit is set in place when the abs wheel speed sensor is damaged
Yeah, that's the issue I have. I can, however, redline it at a stop in neutral.

#7 Old 10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Ok well I just scanned mine and it is A range. Anyone know where I can get it ?
#8 Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Garage

Quote:
Ok well I just scanned mine and it is A range. Anyone know where I can get it ?
Either eBay, or check out RockAuto- very reliable, and they are a sponsor of this site so customer service is 100%.

#9 Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

samissam212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
First of all I guess I will start out by saying HI and that I am new to the forums. I just got rid of my beloved Grand Prix GTP to get the 03 Tiburon GT 6 Speed. All and all I like the car a lot, but it is very different. The guy told me it has a stage 2 clutch and let me tell ya I still can't get used to it. Anyways I am having problems with " going fast / accelerating " my car will not allow me to go over 5,000RPM or it falls on its face, it chokes. CEL is on and reading po code 501 Speed Sensor, so I take it thats what it is. I can not track one down for anything, any advice or anyone selling one?

Thanks guys,
Corey
Hey
#10 Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

samissam212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by samissam212 View Post
Hey
How many mileages you have on?
#11 Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

135k miles... I am going to take a video of what its doing later on.
#12 Old 10-23-2011, 11:14 PM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of

i can tell you what it is right now..

The Right front wheel speed/abs sensor is faulting.

you need to replace it. i have been living with it for over a year because i cant be bothered to replace it because i rarely go over 5k

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
Isnt it amazing how quickly everyone can turn against you
#13 Old 10-23-2011, 11:16 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
i can tell you what it is right now..

The Right front wheel speed/abs sensor is faulting.

you need to replace it. i have been living with it for over a year because i cant be bothered to replace it because i rarely go over 5k
How do you know it's the right one? I had my right one replaced but apparently the left one was a problem too. Having said that it was an eBay part installed so it might not be 100% as you remember it was a different size than what was in my car.

#14 Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

See people are telling me its on the top of my transmission so which is true...
#15 Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Selecta is an unknown quantity at this point

wheel speed sensors are on the wheels vehicle speed sensors are on the tranny
#16 Old 01-07-2012, 01:31 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

StreetShark00 is an unknown quantity at this point

don't replace the tranny speed sensor it's not it im right now as we speak replacing the abs sensor i have the p501 code i just bought the part at rock auto ebay is wayyyy to expensive the sensor is 80 bucks one of the shops broke the abs cause they said "it was rusted"... bs i need to know where they disconnected the rest of the cable to plug it in im stuck can anyone help?

03 6 spd. cai, blacked out tails, 12% tint, OBX catback, racelands, blue dd domes and license plate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.