#1 Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rocko is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
V6 engine swap

Hello Tiburon drivers,
thank you for the great diy section. It helped me a lot to install my new stereo system. But now all the work seems to be for nothing since my engine broke down. The crank shaft and the connecting rod bearings are damaged. To my understanding that seems to be a general problem with this particular engine ( I have a 2003 2,7L Gk Tib, G6BA). So i was thinking if I will buy a used engine i might eventually run into the same problems.
My preferred solution would be to buy a new short engine (hope this is the right term) and complete it with the good parts from my old engine.
This lower part of the engine is for a "Kia Sportage 2.7-V6-24V 179 Hp G6BA 21102-37C00"(sorry canīt post link)
It has the same motor code G6BA and from what i have gathered in the motor swap thread Kia is using the same engine.
So finally here comes my Question. Do you think this will fit together? Even if the Kia has 179 hg and my engine 167 hp.
Best wishes
Rocko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Some sort of an engineer

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
maze1291 is just really nicemaze1291 is just really nicemaze1291 is just really nicemaze1291 is just really nice
Garage
Re: V6 engine swap

The Hyundai/Kia Delta 2.7 V6 is compatible across the board.

You're good to go.

03' GS-R V6Speed .:black and chrome:.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Things breaking is just an opportunity to make them better.
#3 Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
6spdSE has a spectacular aura about6spdSE has a spectacular aura about

Yup, to save cost, Kia and Hyundai used A LOT of the same parts in a lot of different cars, especially in the early to mid 2000s. This 2.6 V6 is in like 6 different models! They are all the same though...except for the Delta 2.7 MU.

2007 Pearl Black SE: Alpine Stage 2 Supercharged, AEM Meth/Water Injection, Custom ARK N2 Quad Tip Exhaust, Injen Cold Air Intake, Clutchmasters Stage 1 Clutch, Clutchmasters lightened flywheel, Cye's poly motor mounts, TB Performance Sub Frame Brace, KYB struts, Megan springs, Tint, Tuscani badges.
FIRST and ONLY BTRcc Tuned Supercharged Tiburon in the US!
Dyno: 268WHP 240TRQ and a whole lot of smiling.
2003 Ruby Red Mazda Protege LX 2.0 - Daily
#4 Old 06-10-2013, 03:55 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thank you. This is really good news.
I was browsing the used Tiburon ads today to see if i could buy something remotely similar for the price of the engine swap. To my surprise most cars with more than 180.000 km had the engine changed and most of the cars from 100.000 to 180.000 km are sold with clicking sounds coming from the engine. Somehow i have overlooked that fact before i bought this car. But on a second thought i really love that car and still would have bought it. Itīs bang for the buck and fun to drive. So it will get a new engine.
Iīve heard that an additional oil cooler would prevent problems with the crank shaft. Would you agree with that?
Best wishes
Rocko
#5 Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Hello Rocko,

What you are looking at is what is called a "shortblock" which is the main engine block, crankshaft & pistons.
You used the correct word.

A "long block" is a shortblock and heads. Usually includes the oil & water pumps & intake manifold, timing belt/chain, but no alternator, power steering pump or AC compressor.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 148K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
#6 Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
GK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to behold

I have 260000km on my car on original engine. Not original transmission though, but I would be had my previous owner not put in the world's worst clutch setup.

#7 Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all

The Kia sportage engine is slightly different, but I believe the bottom end is exactly the same.

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.
#8 Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Iīve checked the shop again. They offer the same G6BA shortblock for the Kia Sportage, Hyundai Trajet, Santa Fe and Tucson. Iīm going to order it hoping that it will fit. I hope that I donīt have to send it back and throw another 150 bucks into that black hole of car maintenance.
Cheers
#9 Old 06-11-2013, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all

I would get a full longblock instead of just the shortblock. especially if it came out of a running car. Just replaced my engine with one from a 2002 Kia Magentis.

2012 Nov - COTM - Best Regional Tiburon (Canada)

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
#10 Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Hello Lessaj,
the shortblock is new. So every part in the engine that is likely to cause the engine failure is new. Everthing else will come from my old engine. I would have bought a used longblock but then i came to understand that this particular fault with the crankshaft occured in a lot of similar engines. So I didnīt want to buy a used one and run into the same problem in the near future.
Best wishes
Rocko
#11 Old 06-12-2013, 03:31 AM

Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all

But now you run into the problem that is installing heads onto that shortblock.

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
#12 Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Why is that problematic?
#13 Old 06-12-2013, 03:38 AM

If the heads aren't level, or if everything isn't perfectly clean, if the cams aren't lubed properly, etc.

General point being it's much easier to swap in an already working engine.

Canada OWNS NT
#14 Old 06-12-2013, 03:47 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Ok I see. Yet, the Tib gets only one chance. Even if it is more complicated to put the old and new parts together I think that this solution will be better in the long run concerning a possible engine failure.
Thanks for the input Lessaj.

Last edited by Rocko; 06-12-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.