how to change rear brakes 2003 tiburon! Help!! - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 06-14-2013, 05:40 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
thomasd2003
(Thread Starter)
how to change rear brakes 2003 tiburon! Help!!

I'm wondering if you have to re-bleed your brakes or not. please help thanks! and also what tools will i need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Captain Québec

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
NewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud of
Re: how to change rear brakes 2003 tiburon! Help!!

If you change the pads or the rotors only you don't have to bleed your system. If you change the caliper, yes you do.

Also, you need to rotate the piston in order to make it go in, don't try to push on it.

Community Voted Best Staff Member Of 2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 GS Sport Charcoal Grey Tiburon -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Stock Elantra - Sold
2008 GS Sport Tidal Wave Blue Tiburon - Actual
#3 Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
6_cyl_to_kill has a spectacular aura about6_cyl_to_kill has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTibOwner2011 View Post
If you change the pads or the rotors only you don't have to bleed your system. If you change the caliper, yes you do.

Also, you need to rotate the piston in order to make it go in, don't try to push on it.
Actually it's just rears you need to rotate. There's a special tool you can use to make this easier though I forget what it's called....looks like mini cube. You can find it at pep boys. The fronts you can compress like normal.

You don't need to bleed you brakes unless you are taking the calipers off, but I would suggest doing it anyway. It's quick, easy and an essential part of the system. That and it makes a big difference in brake feel.

Turn to handling first. Turn up the crazy and rip off the knob...

Contributors: ARK Racing, Ingalls, UltraRacing, YaYa, Energy Suspension, Nolathane Australia, Moog, Stoptech, EBC, TWM, EvoFusion, ASA Wheels, KOYORAD, and of course...good ol' eBay!!!

My build ->
#4 Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Captain Québec

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
NewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_cyl_to_kill View Post
Actually it's just rears you need to rotate.
Thread title is "how to change rear brakes 2003 tiburon! Help!!"

Community Voted Best Staff Member Of 2013

2007 GS Sport Charcoal Grey Tiburon -

2002 Stock Elantra - Sold
2008 GS Sport Tidal Wave Blue Tiburon - Actual
#5 Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 PM

6_cyl_to_kill has a spectacular aura about6_cyl_to_kill has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thread title is "how to change rear brakes 2003 tiburon! Help!!"

What!? Impossible!!!...lol. Seriously though, my bad.

Contributors: ARK Racing, Ingalls, UltraRacing, YaYa, Energy Suspension, Nolathane Australia, Moog, Stoptech, EBC, TWM, EvoFusion, ASA Wheels, KOYORAD, and of course...good ol' eBay!!!

My build ->
#6 Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
thomasd2003
(Thread Starter)

How do you rotate the piston? And how exactly do the old pads pop out??
Quote:

#7 Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
BramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of light

This video should give you an idea of what is involved

#8 Old 06-19-2013, 03:36 AM

The tool in particular you want for our cars is this little thing.

Name:  LIS-28600__1.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  40.9 KB

They attach on the end of the socket exender and have different sets on each side for different cars. Nifty huh? You should be able to find one at a local pep boys or auto zone....they're like 5-10 bucks.

My build ->
#9 Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
CATCH22! is an unknown quantity at this point

I am one of those " figure out what you got that will work kind of guys. So, in replacing the rear brakes on my sons Tiburon, I tried the needle nose plyers advise. It will work, but they slip out easily.

In looking around my shop, I found a great tool for this. If you have an electric mini grinder (the hand held, not the dremmel kind). It should have a tool for removing the end nut. This has two little pins that fit perfectly in the caliper and makes turning it in very easy.
Attached Images

#10 Old 07-13-2013, 04:36 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

ccogburn is an unknown quantity at this point

the old pads just pop off. wiggle them around a little. Definitely go to Autozone or some where you can "rent" tools and ask for the tool to push(really twist) the caliber piston back in. Take the lid off you brake fluid resevoir to make it a bit easier. DO NOT DRIVE ANYWHERE once you have put them back on. It wont matter as much as front brakes but you have to pump the brakes to get the piston back to position. just an fyi since i almost made that mistake.
#11 Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

gabbagabbahey will become famous soon enough

also watch out for the set screws in the center of the rotor. Bathe those things in some lube before you try to loosen them or else theyll strip instantly and you'll have to chisel them out. Its debatable whether or not you have to put them back in though when you go back together.
#12 Old 07-13-2013, 07:32 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all

If you cant get the set screws out you can use a drill and remove the screw heads (they are not required).

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.
#13 Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabbahey View Post
also watch out for the set screws in the center of the rotor. Bathe those things in some lube before you try to loosen them or else theyll strip instantly and you'll have to chisel them out. Its debatable whether or not you have to put them back in though when you go back together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanes View Post
If you cant get the set screws out you can use a drill and remove the screw heads (they are not required).
+1, not required but I managed to save them. I have an old "hand impact driver" that is 3/8" and a selection of bits.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 148K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
#14 Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Black_08SE will become famous soon enoughBlack_08SE will become famous soon enough

Dont be foolish. Spend the $11.50 and buy the cube pictured above. Its cheap and it works correctly and you will not destroy your knuckles or damage the caliper.

When you replace the pads, and IF you replace the rotors, DO NOT BLEED YOUR BRAKE SYSTEM. You have no reason to open the brake lines and allow air in. If you dont have air in the system, do not open the lines and cause the issue.

Also, your brake pads will come with some shims. Be sure to use them. If you do not, the brake pads will slide and braking will feel loose and grabby.

Last edited by Black_08SE; 07-14-2013 at 11:09 AM.
#15 Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
GreatLakesTuscani will become famous soon enoughGreatLakesTuscani will become famous soon enough

use a significant amount of grease on everything too lol.

Not Built For Your Approval
#16 Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: how to change rear brakes 2003 Tiburon! Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_08SE View Post
When you replace the pads, and IF you replace the rotors, DO NOT BLEED YOUR BRAKE SYSTEM. You have no reason to open the brake lines and allow air in. If you don't have air in the system, do not open the lines and cause the issue.
While I agree that changing pads and/or rotors does NOT require you to bleed brakes, I recommend bleeding them every 1-2 years to get the crude out of the lines. Even if you're very cautious on topping the fluid level up and keeping things sealed, you still get aged fluid in the lines (some is degraded fluid from heat generated during braking).
Make sure you compress the front caliper piston (bleeder open) when about done bleeding a specific caliper. This gets the crude that settles low behind the piston that just bleeding WON'T clear out.

It's a GOOD thing to do now & then.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 148K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.