Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

rear ended someone, hood now stuck

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Gravatrax 
#1 ·
I rear ended someone now my hood is stuck. It looks like it's still connected to the latch but the hood release won't work. I've actually had issues with the hood release for a while now. It looks like despite the slight damage to the front of the hood I should be able to get it open if only I can it to unlatch from the hood. Any ideas?

#2 ·
It's rather hard to open the hood (even a straight one.....) from the outside. I know it's come up a few times (once recently) but I don't think anyone listed what they did to get it open.

From underneath, you may find how the mount is bent and pry against it or use a jack & 2x4 to push from the bottom to unload where the hood hoop goes into the latch.

The latch itself has covers on it and the cable is hidden behind one of the supports.

#3 ·
Try to straighten out the hood as much as you can to take the stress off the latch. Then you might be able to pop it. If not, you may have to try and unbolt the latch itself from the radiator support.

#5 ·
Whew there really is not a lot of breathing room here. Im guessing the hood release cable is encased in the tube that runs down that front radiator guard? I was thinking about possibly removing the bumper cover to have some working room. Not sure if that'd do me any good. the hood is open enough to where i can unscrew the headlights and remove the necesary bolt to get the cover off, not sure about the ones on the bottom though. The ones in the wheel well should be easy enough but o ne of them appear to have rusted shut. Any thoughts? I pretty much have to put oil and water in my car on the norm so its pretty important to get this figured out as soon as possible. Probably gonan be new car time here within the next year or two

Attachments

#6 ·
Yes the hood cable runs down the radiator support, but it's not "encased" at all, just kinda attached to the back of it. See my DIY here for the hood latch to see what it looks like:
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/diy-exterior/216671-hood-latch-spring-replacement.html

If you can figure out a way to get to those 4 bolts holding the latch assembly in place you can probably just get the whole thing to come up enough. But like I said before, first I'd try to get your hood back closer to where it should be (ie: push down on the creased part) and see if you can get it unlatched then.

#7 ·
I thought I posted last night I got it open. Ill take some pictures later. I did that straightened it out a bit which definitely helped. But after a while I started just whacking away where the latch should be . Eventually I tried the release again and it worked. From what I can tell the safety latch and primary latch were essentially sandwiched the guard between the two which essentially caused to be simply jammed. So a bit of pulling after I gave it a few whacks and tried the release finally got it open. I went ahead and pried the latches apart from the guard to give it a bit of space to open. Sooo essentially the hood release does Still seem to work. Gonna have some fixing to do though lol. The radiator tie rod has been bent a lil and the support where the cable runs down has twisted a little as well. no apparent radiator damage though.

#8 ·
Great, glad you got it open as well as posting a follow-up!:grin2:

You can try to get some silicone oil in the cable or Lock-Eze to help fix your original release issue.
Also, spraying the latch bits (under the hood) with silicone spray or white lithium grease can help.
Make sure the latch area is clean BEFORE lubing though.:wink2:

#9 ·
Glad you got it figured out. I had to do almost the exact same thing when my Tib was backed into. Had to replace the bumper cover, radiator support, hood, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.