post #1 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Johnlh97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Spare Tire Well Removal?

How crazy does it seem to chop out the spare tire well? Ive been contemplating this for a couple weeks now.

Of course, a panel would be welded in place to cover the new hole, and there may even be some cross braces added in if needed. Sound deadening added as needed. I believe that the original carpet would fit with hardly any modification.

Why though? To tuck exhaust/rear mounted turbo. Just looking for some thoughts/opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: Spare Tire Well Removal?

Welcome to NT.

You do NOT want the turbo at the back of the car, unless the engine is back there as well, but then, the spare tire well would already be gone.
Spool would be stupid slow, boost build would be stupid slow (lots of piping to fill).

Best place to mount a turbo is right on the head at the exhaust ports, but that's rather impractical. Next best thing is a short header to gather multiple cylinders to feed the turbo. It also allows shorter piping to an intercooler.

Is this an I4 or V6?
What year Tib?

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 188K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #3 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

06 v6

I have spoke with a guy that mounted a turbo that far back, he claimed that the lag was insignificant.

The reasoning for mounting so far back it to keep under hood temps down, turbo oil temps down(which would be its own system), and to cool the air a bit as it travels the length of the pipe.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-21-2017, 09:41 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

A remote mount turbo can be done, but its absolutely not something you want to be a cheap a$$ about.

You would NEED to source high quality lines that are designed to be 100% exposed to the elements and can withstand extreme temp fluctuations. Also you would need to invest in a high quality oil scavenge pump to pump the oil back into the block. Turbo oil drain lines are gravity fed and you remove that ability by putting the turbo in the back of the car.

There's not a ton of room in a Tiburon for an exhaust and a intercooler pipe to live side by side down the center tunnel so you'll need to get creative as well as shield the intercooler pipe from the exhaust heat.

Also you'll need to deal with getting nice clean filtered air to the turbo itself. This also needs to be 100% protected from the elements otherwise you will grenade that expensive turbo. Oh and don't forget some way to mount and shield the turbo to keep it from rolling down the street on the first bump. lol.

What's your realistic budget for this? Keep in mind a remote mount turbo will be a lot more expensive then having someone fab up an up and down pipe so a turbo that lives in the engine bay.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #5 of 8 Old 03-21-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I haven't yet gotten a full list together, nor have I taken exact measurements, but this is a rough sketch of my plans

Last edited by Johnlh97; 03-21-2017 at 10:45 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-22-2017, 09:25 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

Your gonna need to get under your car and see what space constraints your working with. Your drawing will 100% NOT work on a Tiburon and there's little things like the gas tank, and rear suspension in the way.

My advice? See if you can find an under body picture on the internet or something and start from there. The first thing you need to do though is come up with a realistic budget!!

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #7 of 8 Old 03-24-2017, 08:16 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Valve

Your better bet is to put the turbo where the battery is and relocate the battery to the cabin. With a turbo that far back, plus an intercooler, you're going to have horrible turbo lag and a lot of boost loss. Plus I don't think you'll have enough room to run charge piping under your car without scraping with the drawing you have there.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 Old 03-24-2017, 09:13 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
meotjaengi is just really nicemeotjaengi is just really nicemeotjaengi is just really nice

I agree that locating the battery to the back to make room for a turbo on the driver's side of the engine is likely to be relatively less work. FWIW, this is the typical setup for those who turbo the delta engine here in Korea.

Here is a shot of the undercarriage for you.

I smell blood...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.