Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Hyundai/Kia Illinois Emission Testing Woes/Opinions

750 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  h8isgr8 
#1 ·
Back story, I've had my '05 V6 since 2008. It's gone thru emissions in '09, '11, '13 and '15 without issue.

First station tried 5 times to download the data from the ECU/OBD port and had to "abort" the test. Said my car was having a communication issue. I took it to a mechanic who hooked up his diagnostic equipment and was able to pull data without problem. Said there is nothing wrong. Said to try a different testing station. Same problem happened at the second station. I was told there is something wrong with my car and I need to get it fixed and gave me a copy of the abort sheet.

I took the abort sheet to the mechanic, who said he'd never seen that. It's always a fail, even if the car is having a comm issue it prints fail. Again, he had no problem with his diagnostics. So he called the state of Illinois, and after a week they got back to him and said I need to re-wire my OBD port to bypass some pins. WTF?

Appearntly they are having issues with certain older Hyundai/Kia models after the state's latest system update,and this is the solution.

If my OBD port and ECU are working as designed, I feel like the state needs to update their system to work with my car. Not have people pay to re-wire their factory harness.

Anyone else come across this issue?

See less See more
#2 ·
New one on me, at least related to state inspection. I have seen some older cars have issues connecting to some scanners. Either update the scanner, use a different scanner, or add/change car wiring (like some Tibs need a ground added).

You may want to search for the change, I know it's on here.

#8 ·
They don't. Even so, the 03-04 tibs don't even have this pin and there is no standard OBDII location for it. The equipment they use should have a multiplexer that would automatically find the pin if it was something it checked for. The same speed data is available through the BCM k-line anyway. Any why would they say to disconnect pin 2 when there isn't one?

There's something else going on, but glad OP got it sorted anyway.

#7 ·
I think that's a load of BS. you shouldn't need to modify your car to comply with their equipment, they should have the correct equipment for the car if they want to do these kind of tests! If I were you I'd look up who might have some authority over emissions in your state and send them a letter (or something) explaining your situation and why it's completely unacceptable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.