2005 Tiburon engine swap won't start. - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Petar
  • 1 Post By Petar
  • 2 Post By Petar

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-15-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Petar is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
2005 Tiburon engine swap won't start.

Hi, Been reading threads but not found solution to my issue. Have swapped out engine in my 05 v6 manual. At first engine cranked fuel pump not working, sprayed aero start down intake manifold and engine ran, changed sensor and throttle body from old motor and fuel pump and pressure working. Car now cranks over, but will not start. Have checked all fuses and relays to best my ability. Have not checked spark at plugs, but did run with aero start down intake ? .
Crank sensor changed as wires damaged from heat, before initial test. Again replaced with 1 from old engine which was working fine.
Immobiliser warning light stays on when ignition on and when cranking,remote transmitter will not lock doors, will indicate as working when unlock button pressed.
Have ECM/BCM from installed engine but both units from same same cars. Should I do this or have I missed something with swap. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-15-2017, 11:58 AM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: 2005 Tiburon engine swap won't start.

So, you swapped "like for like" on the engine.

Since then, it cranks but no start.

It will start on starting fluid.

You have an immobilizer light on. Sounds like you need to "repair" the remote fob to the car to reset the security system.
There are a few threads that cover that, you don't need any special tool if the ECU and BCM are the original to the car.

I don't know the security system, maybe someone else can help out.

Stop buying parts.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 188K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .

Last edited by Charlie-III; 04-15-2017 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Fix typo
post #3 of 14 Old 04-15-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Charlie 111, Will start with FOB reset.
Charlie-III likes this.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 09:32 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

If you just swapped engine for engine I don't think the European/Canadian immobilizer system will no the difference. Maybe you tripped the alarm though and its interrupting spark and fuel delivery to the motor?

Someone with a similar OE alarm system will have to chime in and let you know how to reset the alarm system if its been tripped.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #5 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Still the same me...

Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
If you just swapped engine for engine I don't think the European/Canadian immobilizer system will no the difference. Maybe you tripped the alarm though and its interrupting spark and fuel delivery to the motor?

Someone with a similar OE alarm system will have to chime in and let you know how to reset the alarm system if its been tripped.
That's what I'm thinking, alarm tripped and is either stuck on, or the FOB needs to be re-paired.

My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #6 of 14 Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thx for feedback. Still having problems. Have reset key FOB thx Charlie-111.
Is there another type of alarm system that needs resetting. Both cars sold new in Australia.
Still no go. Has spark, power at injectors, fuel pressure, and runs fine with starter fluid down intake.
Something is interfering with vehicle taking that last step and running.
I'm thinking something to do with bcm.
I have bcm from installed engine.
Should I consider swapping or would this be a waste of time.
Should I send car to garage and get it analysed
Any ideas
post #7 of 14 Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Still the same me...

Does the remote work now?
Is the immobilizer light off now?
How did you check fuses, look at them or meter them?

Still sounds like the fuel pump is not working, thus no fuel. Alarm is one step (which may now be resolved), then it's power and parts.

BTW, at least list your country in your location, some basic car info (year model, engine, trans, modsor stock) in your signature. Thanks.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 04-20-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Fix typo that was quoted.....
post #8 of 14 Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 AM

dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

How did you check for fuel pressure?

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #9 of 14 Old 04-19-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Checked all fused with test light.
Check fuel pressure at entry to fuel rail.
Fuel pressure relay cutting in and out working correctly.
Check have power at injectors, don't know much about 'pulse' at injectors.
BTW, at least it your country in your location < what does that mean
Have arranged car be taken to auto electrician to be analysed.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 AM

It means if you could at least fill out basic properties like location in your member profile. This would help us figure out where your from and what type of car you have.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #11 of 14 Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Still the same me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
It means if you could at least fill out basic properties like location in your member profile. This would help us figure out where your from and what type of car you have.
Correct, look under my screen name, you can see I'm in the US. maybe put in your country since different countries have different options as well as some issues can be weather related.
Look at the bottom of my posts, you will see basic info on 2 cars in my driveway. The Tib is stock, but mine has a link with more info (but not relevant for a Tib forum).

I ask the same of pretty much everyone, on this forum and others, keeps us from asking basic questions every time some posts an issue.

Thanks.

post #12 of 14 Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thanks didn't know that will do
Charlie-III likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Well have eventually gotten to the problem, which has me a little surprised.
I turns out fuel pump was down on performance.
Odd as was fine with old engine and only out of service 5 days.
$500 later for analyser, new fuel pump and filter including install, all working fine now.
Still have to get receiver-drier replaced AC gassed and job done.
Thanks everyone for your assistance.
Charlie-III and 08TiburonSE like this.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-21-2017, 10:18 AM

That is strange. Maybe just something had blocked things up? 500 is a lot for basically a fuel pump replacement.

Hit me up on gmail chat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.