Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Please help... tibby shut off while driving and won't start

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Charlie-III 
#1 ·
Hello all I hope all is well.
We'll about 2 months ago I was driving and randomly my 2.7 v6 tibby had shut off on me. I tried cranking it, but it's not firing even after using the starter spray. You also can't hear the fuel pump at all so I replaced it and still nothing. I had a new tested motor and tranny (that I personally tested) put in and still it won't fire. What could it be? Could it be the bcm or the ecu? Like what am I missing. It socks because right as I was taking it to get my supercharger installed all of is happens and I'm putting so much money into this... please help and thank you

#2 ·
Welcome to NT.

Why did you replace the engine and trans? How did you test them?

What year Tib? What year was the engine and trans from?
How many miles on the Tib as well as the "new" engine and trans?

Starter fluid should get it to sorta run if it has spark, compression and the timing is correct.
Any CEL's? If s, what?

My original thought was a broken timing belt caused it to die.

#5 ·
Thanks for the greeting and the year is 03.
I replaced the motor and trans because the trans was already dead in my current car and when it had shut off on me while I was headed to a mechanic I thought the motor died as well
So I bought a wrecked same year and model (03 gt) tibby that had started right up and drove good (that's how I tested it)
My tib have about 170k mi and the replaced motor has 50k mi.
Could it be the BCM? I've heard of these cars starting without the ecu even plugged up in it so I don't think that the ecu is the issue.
I also tried like 3 different batteries so don't think it's a battery issue neither :l

#4 · (Edited)
Also are there any other electrical issues? Bad BCM symptoms are turn signals stuck on, radio and climate control not working along with sunroof and various other items. What is the condition of the crankshaft position sensor? The heat from exhaust manifold causes them to go bad. Usually allowing your car to crank, but not start, if your injectors aren't firing then it's probs your crankshaft sensor hence not starting. I couldn't get my tib to fire on starting fluid either when the sensor went out

#6 ·
I will accept your test method on the engine and trans.

If the engine is spinning over normally, ignore the battery, either it cranks or it won't.

I doubt it's the BCM, if you had no crank (different than no start), then maybe it's a BCM issue.

How much gas in the tank? Thinking it could be water that killed the old engine and killing this one, but it still should have popped with starting fluid. This is why I'm leaning to:
No spark
Out of time
Bad sensor (maybe crank or cam sensors?).

You can also check fuses under the hood and in the BCM. Use a meter, don't just look at them.

#8 ·
If he still has access to the old engine, he can try swapping cam and crank sensors over. At least it's a free test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.