LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 05-17-2008, 07:22 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ryanostibby is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Question Tranmission fluid what type??

What type of transmission fluid do I need for my 5spd gt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Ryanostibby is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Re: Tranmission fluid what type??

Bump please
#3 Old 05-19-2008, 12:58 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

The Power of Dreams will become famous soon enough

Go to the dealer and purchase the Hyundai 75W85 GL-4 manual transmission fluid. It's costly, but it's what is made for the transmission.

Other brands will only have 75W90 which isn't the exact viscosity. Depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend.

Look at about $13 per quart for the Hyundai fluid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HONDA: The Power of Dreams
2008 Honda Civic Si Taffeta White Sedan
#4 Old 05-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Dedication to Thai Cuisine

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
breeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud of

It should say in your owners manual. I don't know about the 5 speed, but the 6 speed takes 75W-90 (or did they change it to 75W-85?) GL4.

Lightest DD tib? 2593 lbs and falling

Quote:
I wish I had 5 Guys inside of me right now...
Quote:
That is pretty much how I felt the first time I had Five Guys...
#5 Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 AM
NewTiburon.com God

BestRedRide will become famous soon enoughBestRedRide will become famous soon enough

Just to reiterate, if you decide not to go to te dealer, the main thing you're looking for is GL-4. No GL5, or GL4/GL5....straight GL4.

There are synthetic GL4 alternatives as well, like Redline, Amsoil....but expect to pay the same. There are other (MANY) threads in the transmissoin section concernig this, and even PICTURES of the correct fluid containers.

-BRR

- Alpine Developments(18psi) - Amsoil - AOS - APE - AutoMeter - Bros - BSE - ClutchNet - Compact Divisions - DEI - DuPont - EBC - Eibach - Exos - Fast - Fidanza - GarageGK - GReddy - GT Wing - Halo - IFMAR - Innovate Motorsports - JSpeed - JSP America - KSpec - Magnaflow - M&S Carart - Momo - Optima - Pioneer - Rockford Fosgate - Rota - RRM - SCAD - Sparco - Tomato A&P - Triangle - TurboXS - TWM - Walbro - XO2 Racing - YaYa -
#6 Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Koreandude is a name known to allKoreandude is a name known to allKoreandude is a name known to allKoreandude is a name known to allKoreandude is a name known to allKoreandude is a name known to all

This has been covered a billion times. Try a search, you'll find most if not all your answers to this particular question.

Nevertheless, if you want an alternative to the standard GL4 lube (which is costly!), I recommend Pennzoil Synchromesh (2 quarts for a 6 speed, may be more or less for 5 speed). Exact same stuff as the GM synchromesh (cost 16 bucks a quart around here). I paid $6 bucks a quart for the Pennzoil last month when I did my clutch/flywheel install.

In my opinion (as well as all others i've encountered who have used this product in our cars) my car shifts much smoother, even when making that first 1-2 shift when everything is cold. Silky smooth 100% of the time. Great stuff IMO.

But it must be known that this is not rated GL-4. It is GLS as it is a specific application for GM vehicles. However GM developed this lubricant especially for soft metals like brass synchros (which our trannies use). SO although it's not GL-4, it's not going to be sulfuric like GL-5 and self destruct the synchros which is a common issue when using non specific gear oil. It's also backed by Tim Conner of Next Generation Motorsports as well as a few delearships (as informed by members here) who have discovered it's wonderful properties.

2011 Nord Grey Gen Coupe 3.8 Track 6 Speed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 05-20-2008, 06:09 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

The Power of Dreams will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato View Post
It should say in your owners manual. I don't know about the 5 speed, but the 6 speed takes 75W-90 (or did they change it to 75W-85?) GL4.
Yes, it's in a TSB.

HONDA: The Power of Dreams
2008 Honda Civic Si Taffeta White Sedan
#8 Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Koreandude is a name known to allKoreandude is a name known to allKoreandude is a name known to allKoreandude is a name known to allKoreandude is a name known to allKoreandude is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato View Post
I recently posted about this change here in the Transmission section...

Link to thread w/ TSB....

2011 Nord Grey Gen Coupe 3.8 Track 6 Speed

Last edited by Koreandude; 05-20-2008 at 10:57 PM.
#9 Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

deligkl is an unknown quantity at this point

Might i forewarn you, i bought 80-90w fully synthetic gear oil for my tranny when i slapped my headers on (had to remove an axle to do so) anyway... i DONT recommend going 80-90 because when i first start my car and shift it weather 1st or Rev. .... it's like driving a transport... it'll jump into gears until warmed up.. i imagine it'll be horrible in the winter (though i dont drive my baby in the winter lol)
Cheers and best of luck.
#10 Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

2 UNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Your going to hear twenty million answers to this BUT the bottom line is if your car IS Stock
then OEM tranny oil is enough IF your car is stock ...On the other hand if its heavily modded (like my Tib) then i would run a full synthetic like REDLINE MT90 or Royal Purple in the tranny.I instanlty noticed a difference in my sifting as it was alot smoother...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.