LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
djtibby04 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
How to adjust the clutch?

Is there any way to adjust the clutch so that it gives a stiffer springy feel? This clutch bothers me due to the fact that it is a feather to push in and I feel like my shifts are very rough cuz I can barely feel the engagement point, I drove my friends subaru wrx around the area a few tmes today and honestly speaking I can drive his car better than I can drive my own car, his clutch is stiff and springs when u let it off and it's very smooth and easy to feel point of engagement, open to all suggestions, if there a way to do it or if it requirement me to purchase a new clutch or something let me kno...thanks, much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2009, 04:19 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Double Dizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How to adjust the clutch?

Good question....staying tuned.
#3 Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all

Could be the wrx is a cable clutch, but I know nothing about subbies. We have hydraulic, which I prefer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.
#4 Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

Doubt it's a cable clutch I'll double check with him later but also another question, how would one go about getting a short shifter for an 04 5 speed and how is it installed? Is it difficult or easy? Thanks, but this is a good question I like the feeling of the stiffer clutch I think it's easier to drive...thanks again much appreciated
#5 Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

RKivez1

Almost all cars today run hydraulic clutches, even the VWs/Audis and BMWs. Have you done the slave cylinder mod? Just remove the banjo bolt from the back of the slave cylinder and remove a small black piece with a spring attached to it. That's the pressure relief valve. If prevents the clutch from fully engaging after dropping the pedal, resulting in wearing out the clutch during quick shifts. Just take it out, bleed, and shifts should feel more solid. Also, the catch point and feel will be quite noticeable. It's not too stiff, but it's just right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Silver GT V6 5 Speed
Injen SRI, Slave Cylinder mod, Tuscani "Ts" front and back, TWM STS, 8000K Lows, RRM Front S/C Strut Bar, Seibon T/S CF Hood, 05-06 F/L look COMPLETE!
Quote:
Ever notice how easy it is to turn your car or bike on, but it's a pain in the *** to have to turn your girl on?
#6 Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

How would one go about doing a slave cylinder mod? Is it difficult? Is there a write up on it that I could get a link to? Ultimate question is will there be a noticeable difference? Thanks for the input
#7 Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 AM
AWD-swapped Troll

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
ShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another level

do a search for the DIY slave cylinder, should pop up

#8 Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM
NewTiburon.com God

03_tibby_CT has a spectacular aura about03_tibby_CT has a spectacular aura about03_tibby_CT has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtibby04 View Post
How would one go about doing a slave cylinder mod? Is it difficult? Is there a write up on it that I could get a link to? Ultimate question is will there be a noticeable difference? Thanks for the input
i noticed it.... unfortunately i noticed a lot more clutch chatter in the process

also, if u want a harder feel to the clutch, get a lightweight flywheel/stage4 clutch combo...
#9 Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

hmm the best word to describe the way my clutch feels is exactly...Mushy haha...i need a more consistent feel and if getting an entirely new clutch is the answer then maybe i should just go that route however when i bought this car 2 months ago the clutch was brand new cuz the previous owner has just gotten it replaced due to slipping. how much would all of that cost with labor cuz i dont have too much to blow on something like that but i deem it worth it to improve ride and performance...also i think im gonna grab a sts off SFR very nice easy mod for shifting...ill do a search on the DIY forums thanks guys!
#10 Old 05-21-2009, 07:14 PM
NewTiburon.com God

6behindblueeyez will become famous soon enough6behindblueeyez will become famous soon enough

Remove the spring from inside the slave cylinder like Rio said. It will solve the slippage issue when shifting quickly.

Dlanes is right about the cable. Ours is hydraulic, so now matter what, it will be tit to push in. I suggest getting a puck style clutch if you want a more defined slip point. But no matter what, it will be tit to push in. My valeo ceramic sprung puck would grab immediately, so a quick (not fast, but quick) drop on the clutch was almost necessary to make the car not fall apart.

Once you go rotary, you never go back.
#11 Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

will5122 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtibby04 View Post
Doubt it's a cable clutch I'll double check with him later but also another question, how would one go about getting a short shifter for an 04 5 speed and how is it installed? Is it difficult or easy? Thanks, but this is a good question I like the feeling of the stiffer clutch I think it's easier to drive...thanks again much appreciated
Shark Racing makes a short shifter for a decent price and it is very easy to install. Take a screwdriver and pop off the plastic around the shifter, Undo the four bolts on the metal plate thingy at the bottom , discnonnect the white thing (Sorry for not knowing what everything is called) Pull out the old shifter and pop in the new one and reconnect everything. The shift boot is harder to change than the shifter.
#12 Old 07-11-2009, 03:57 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

usmc is an unknown quantity at this point

For instructions on installing the short shifter, click here: Short Shifter Installation Manual. That's the manual for a TWM Short Shifter, the procedure is exactly the same for any other short shifter, except that yours may come with bushings pre-installed (like the System Upgrade one I got from SFR did). It only takes about 20 min (as little as 10 if you've done it before) to install, some parts can be a b!tch, but overall it's pretty easy. I put mine in last month, but I can't honestly say that I notice too much of a difference, other than that the custom shift knob and the rubber gear boot (purchased separately) look sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.