Thoughts on Solid flywheel conversion kit - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bill2

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 01-30-2010, 08:41 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
bmi9n0
(Thread Starter)
Thoughts on Solid flywheel conversion kit

What are your guys thought son the valeo solid flywheel conversion kit? My stock clutch just went out and I am going to go ahead and change it over to a solid flywheel but I am not sure what route i want to go. i was thinking about just getting the valeo conversion kit off of ebay since it is like $150.00 cheaper there than anywhere else I have looked. I would go with something better but I am kinda strapped for cash and this whole ordeal is going to cost about $900.00.

ebay kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=350304922130

2005 Tiburon SE
BBP catback exhaust, NextGen (SSA Headers), Injen SRI
Import Shark Front Strut Bar, B&G S2 Springs, HALO H.I.D. Kit,
System STS, more to come.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Tuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thoughts on Solid flywheel conversion kit

I personally would buy it off seoulfulracing as weve seen multiple buyers get caught with a fake Valeo Racing kit and it having problems over the year or two.

If you look you can get the Clutch/Lightweight Flywheel capable of holding up to like 270WHP for 580 shipped of SFR's site, this is what im doing also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MY OTHER RIDE PULLS YOURS OVER.
And my other ride is a Tree Fiddy Z
#3 Old 01-30-2010, 09:32 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

onesickbluetib is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not buy that clutch...just go on sfr and order that clutch that's what i did ive had it for about a year and no problems.
#4 Old 01-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Tuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.kdmstuff.com/shop/step1.php?number=577

Rock it , with a LW FW

MY OTHER RIDE PULLS YOURS OVER.
And my other ride is a Tree Fiddy Z
#5 Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

papercut825 will become famous soon enough

well it does have a warranty
#6 Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

bmi9n0
(Thread Starter)

thanks for the input guys. i wish i had 4589.00 to drop on seouful's kit. i think i will just have to go with the first one and then get his later. I dont have the ability to do the swap myself at my house and no shop around me will let me use their lift for a day.

2005 Tiburon SE

#7 Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

AlpineTiburon04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, this SFR clutch kit, does it come with everything needed to change out the dual mass flywheel on the V6 with the lightweight flywheel?

Kin I git a whoop whoop?
#8 Old 02-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all

IMO unless you want to be only using the VHR clutch, I would look at other options first. No other clutches are compatible with the VHR flywheel and vise versa.

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.
#9 Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

My big dilemma is whether to even buy a new flywheel. My car has 86,000 on it and the clutch went about a month ago but I've still been driving it. The clutch slips more and more every time I drive it but I've been nursing it. Think it's time to get a flywheel?

And if so, why not get the SFR? I don't really care what I put in the car as I never drive it, I've just read to stay away from OEM and I want to go as cheaply as possible. Any thoughts? I've searched but every thread is different depending on circumstances.

The Spec clutch is cheap, but their flywheel is out of control...

Kin I git a whoop whoop?
#10 Old 02-06-2010, 01:30 PM

shark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of light

just get the sfr kit then is the cheapest and has been proven to work time after time

///SHARK TALES\\\

Tib is gone, but not forgotten. Tumbler and Clean status awaits the new project.
#11 Old 02-06-2010, 03:05 PM

dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all

You can use more than a few different flywheels with the spec clutch. I am using a XTD chromoly flywheel with my spec clutch for instance which was $250 new. I KJB sells ark's chromoly flywheel and spec clutches and is a sight sponsor. I have heard horror stories about sfr, which is why I have never dealt with them.

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.
#12 Old 02-06-2010, 03:29 PM
iwb
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
iwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of light

SFR has been very good for the small but popular products i've ordered; but, if they don't have what you want and place it on backorder, i think that's where the issues lie. As for the VHR kit, i can't comment but it is what SFR uses in their drag i4.

Besides that I would make sure you change your flywheel also. I understand it is alot of money (so was mine) but you need to wrap your head around the thought. Besides, you already know what a cheap POS clutch and flywheel are like; you claimed to of have one for 86xxx miles LOL, Do both clutch and flywheel so that you don't have the same woes with the tibby in the premature future.

. I . W a n t . B o o s t .

Former Stage 2 Sniped Tib - Forever a GK enthusiast

Last edited by iwb; 02-06-2010 at 03:31 PM.
#13 Old 02-06-2010, 04:56 PM
NewTiburon.com God

AnthonyNTC3 will become famous soon enough

the lwfw is great for throttle response, and you really feel a difference in 1st gear.

the downside is gear rattle once the engine is warmed up and you are in neutral. once i drive about 15minutes, it is pretty audible.

2012 VW GTI 4 Door DSG
2009 VW GTI 2DR 6 spd: TRADED
Driver gear springs, Koni Yellows, Euro Lip
2006 GTV6 5-Spd : DEAD
Injen SRI, Injen SES Exhaust, Perrin Antenna, Tint, Slave Cylinder DIY, Pioneer DEH-P680MP, Koni Adjustable Struts, Eibach Pro-kit Springs, SeoulfulRacing FMM, Black Calipers, Tuscani Badges, Fidanza flywheel, Clutchmasters FX300, DC Rear Strut Bar, MOOG swaybar endlinks, NIA eyelids, 17X8 MB Weapon Wheels, NGM stage III intake manifold.
#14 Old 02-06-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNTC3 View Post
the lwfw is great for throttle response, and you really feel a difference in 1st gear.

the downside is gear rattle once the engine is warmed up and you are in neutral. once i drive about 15minutes, it is pretty audible.
It's not so bad with a chromoly flywheel. In fact I don't hear it all, but I have heard it in the past. May have something to do with the gear oil I'm using now or clutch, but who knows.

#15 Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Lame. I couldn't wait for an answer as to whether SFR had the goods ready to ship, so I just spent $613 I don't have on the KJB site. I'll post back at some point and let everyone know what I think. Thanks for the help

Kin I git a whoop whoop?
#16 Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanes View Post
It's not so bad with a chromoly flywheel. In fact I don't hear it all, but I have heard it in the past. May have something to do with the gear oil I'm using now or clutch, but who knows.
your flywheel is probably heavier than mine, what gear oil are you using.

2012 VW GTI 4 Door DSG
Injen SRI, Injen SES Exhaust, Perrin Antenna, Tint, Slave Cylinder DIY, Pioneer DEH-P680MP, Koni Adjustable Struts, Eibach Pro-kit Springs, SeoulfulRacing FMM, Black Calipers, Tuscani Badges, Fidanza flywheel, Clutchmasters FX300, DC Rear Strut Bar, MOOG swaybar endlinks, NIA eyelids, 17X8 MB Weapon Wheels, NGM stage III intake manifold.
#17 Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNTC3 View Post
your flywheel is probably heavier than mine, what gear oil are you using.
Yup about 4lbs more but I bet you mine is stronger

Right now I'm using 75w90 royal purple gear oil. It's GL4 compatible and cheap. Seems to work better than a couple others I tried.

#18 Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
NewTiburon.com God

hmmmmmmm really. I have heard mixed things about the RP. I just ordered some motylgear 300.

My next flywheel is probably gonna be the 13lb ark, i am sure those extra 4 lbs dampen the noise.

2012 VW GTI 4 Door DSG
#19 Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Hey all, picking my KJB flywheel/clutch up tomorrow from UPS. F*CKING SNOW.

Will this have everything needed to install? I'm fuzzy on whether this is single mass and what the conversion entails.

What gear oil do you all recommend? I'll get the mechanic to throw some in. Thanks!

Kin I git a whoop whoop?
#20 Old 02-16-2010, 08:24 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

wesleybumgarner

In the process of putting mine back together right now...upon removal of the flywheel and clutch i found that the flywheel was badly scarred and in need of replacement. called the dealer cost of new dual mass flywheel $1307.85....needless to say i bought the valeo conversion kit everything bolted up fine and appears to be in working order should have finished tonight
#21 Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

bmi9n0
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleybumgarner View Post
In the process of putting mine back together right now...upon removal of the flywheel and clutch i found that the flywheel was badly scarred and in need of replacement. called the dealer cost of new dual mass flywheel $1307.85....needless to say i bought the valeo conversion kit everything bolted up fine and appears to be in working order should have finished tonight
let me know if you have problems with the trans jerking really bad in first and second gear. i got the valeo kit as well. The shop had some trouble putting it in but everything was working fine on the way home from the shoplast night but this morining started having trouble. I cant even use first gear it is so bad.

2005 Tiburon SE

#22 Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

bill2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmi9n0 View Post
let me know if you have problems with the trans jerking really bad in first and second gear. i got the valeo kit as well. The shop had some trouble putting it in but everything was working fine on the way home from the shoplast night but this morining started having trouble. I cant even use first gear it is so bad.
I've installed 2 of the valeo kits (not the "xtreme" that SFR/ ARC sells) and haven't had problems with either. Very good engagement and mininal noise from going dual mass to solid. Sounds like there is something else going on.
#23 Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

bmi9n0
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2 View Post
I've installed 2 of the valeo kits (not the "xtreme" that SFR/ ARC sells) and haven't had problems with either. Very good engagement and mininal noise from going dual mass to solid. Sounds like there is something else going on.
TOB? I really dont know that much about transmissions but I was there when they put it back together yesterday and I didnt see any other way to do it. Hyjndai tech told me that we needed to pry on the clutch lever to pop the TOB in to the pressure plate. I tried that but i never heard the "click" that I was supposed to hear. I dont think it would work at all if it wasnt snapped in though.

2005 Tiburon SE

#24 Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

bill2

You need to rotate the arm counterclock wise to snap it in. If you did that and didn't hear the "click" its most likely because its already snapped in. Your clutch wouldn't disengage at all if it wasn't snapped in. Did you watch them install the disc? Did they put the protruding side toward the pressure plate or the flywheel? I've seen different discs/ pressure plates from different suppliers that call for installation in different directions...
spankee likes this.
#25 Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

bmi9n0
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2 View Post
Yup, SRI was not connected to the intake manifold.

2005 Tiburon SE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.