Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Broken Shift Fork?

13K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Mary SW 
#1 ·
Fun stuff on the way to work today, something transmission related has broken and it is now stuck in third gear. The shifter will move side to side but won't budge front to back. Had a problem once before where the transmission was stuck in gear that turned out to be a broken shifter cable. In that instance, the shifter would move freely up and down but the gear was not changing. This and a visual inspection of the cable leads me to believe that it's not the same problem this time.

So...any ideas? Broken/bent shift fork? Throw out bearing? Just trying to get an idea of what kind of cost I might be looking at before I drive this heap at 40 MPH and 5,000 RPM to the mechanic.

Car is a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT with 6-speed manual transmission and just over 80k miles.

I've already searched the forums but haven't found anyone else who mentions not being able to move the shifter at all. Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
have u inspected the linkages where they meet the transmission? i dont believe it would be the fork, i dont think its the TOB because even with the clutch engaged you should be able to move the shifter. i think its either a cable or possibly a problem with the counterweight

#3 ·
The linkages at both the transmission and the shifter look fine. I can manually move the lower linkage, lifting up and down but the upper one isn't budging. Even with the clutch pushed in and two hands tugging, I can't move the shifter vertically. When it was the cable before, the shifter would move freely but wouldn't change the gear. After removing the cable, one of the ends had broken inside the sleeve. I replaced the cable less than 2 months ago.

I should also mention that I've had clutch issues for a while on this car...the same and most people report having on here due to the faulty clutch/flywheel Hyundai used. I should also mention that I'm the second owner of this car, so no warranty for me and no way of getting it repaired under the class action settlement.

#5 ·
Mechanic says it's likely the synchros on 3rd gear, possibly more. Decided to go with a 2005 6-speed with 44k on it that I found locally instead of doing a rebuild. Putting in an ACT clutch kit and ARK flywheel at the same time. Can't wait to get my car back and hopefully not hate driving it everywhere anymore.

#7 ·
Wanted to avoid:

Manual to Auto

1. Automatic Transmission
2. ECU for automatic
3. Transmission control module for Automatic
4. shifter linkages
5. Shifter boot and mounting plates
6. shifter mount
7. Axles
8.Torque Converter
9. Flex plate
10. Transmission mounting bolts
11. New gauge cluster

or

6-speed to 5-speed

1. Linkages
2. Shifter
3. Axles
4. Etc.

Hoping to have better luck this time around...we'll see.

#9 ·
Haha. No, definitely not. Hyundai will have a hard time ever luring me back after the way they handled the faulty clutch/flywheel on these cars. Wish I had the $ for something new but for now I'll just hope that my $2,000 sacrifice to the transmission gods is enough.

#10 ·
You never reposted as to what the actual issue was? Was it the gear fork in transmission? I have an '04 Tib Gt 6spd and had similar issue.
The car decided one day to get stuck in reverse while my son was borrowing it. We could not for the life of us shift it out of reverse gear. We inspected linkages, cable's, slave and master cylinder. Luckily when it happened, it was at a friend of my son's, so we were able to pull it into his yard and leave it be. My son pulled engine and dropped transmission and discovered the gear fork for reverse was in pieces and had locked up tranny. Sad day. I had just bought the car from original owner a couple months prior as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.