LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MyGFsTiburon has a little shameless behaviour in the past
(Thread Starter)
Broken Shift Fork?

Fun stuff on the way to work today, something transmission related has broken and it is now stuck in third gear. The shifter will move side to side but won't budge front to back. Had a problem once before where the transmission was stuck in gear that turned out to be a broken shifter cable. In that instance, the shifter would move freely up and down but the gear was not changing. This and a visual inspection of the cable leads me to believe that it's not the same problem this time.

So...any ideas? Broken/bent shift fork? Throw out bearing? Just trying to get an idea of what kind of cost I might be looking at before I drive this heap at 40 MPH and 5,000 RPM to the mechanic.

Car is a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT with 6-speed manual transmission and just over 80k miles.

I've already searched the forums but haven't found anyone else who mentions not being able to move the shifter at all. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of
Re: Broken Shift Fork?

have u inspected the linkages where they meet the transmission? i dont believe it would be the fork, i dont think its the TOB because even with the clutch engaged you should be able to move the shifter. i think its either a cable or possibly a problem with the counterweight
#3 Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

The linkages at both the transmission and the shifter look fine. I can manually move the lower linkage, lifting up and down but the upper one isn't budging. Even with the clutch pushed in and two hands tugging, I can't move the shifter vertically. When it was the cable before, the shifter would move freely but wouldn't change the gear. After removing the cable, one of the ends had broken inside the sleeve. I replaced the cable less than 2 months ago.

I should also mention that I've had clutch issues for a while on this car...the same and most people report having on here due to the faulty clutch/flywheel Hyundai used. I should also mention that I'm the second owner of this car, so no warranty for me and no way of getting it repaired under the class action settlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
have u inspected the linkages where they meet the transmission? i dont believe it would be the fork, i dont think its the TOB because even with the clutch engaged you should be able to move the shifter. i think its either a cable or possibly a problem with the counterweight
#4 Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Well I dropped the car off at the mechanic today. Said he probably wouldn't get to look at it till Monday so I guess I'll post back then with the verdict.
#5 Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Mechanic says it's likely the synchros on 3rd gear, possibly more. Decided to go with a 2005 6-speed with 44k on it that I found locally instead of doing a rebuild. Putting in an ACT clutch kit and ARK flywheel at the same time. Can't wait to get my car back and hopefully not hate driving it everywhere anymore.
#6 Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
NewTiburon.com God

valkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised you went back to the well of goodness that is the Hyundai 6 speed... I would have at least gone to 5 spd if not automatic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 e92 space gray 328i w/ dakota gray interior
#7 Old 01-06-2011, 05:09 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkare View Post
I'm surprised you went back to the well of goodness that is the Hyundai 6 speed... I would have at least gone to 5 spd if not automatic.
Wanted to avoid:

Manual to Auto

1. Automatic Transmission
2. ECU for automatic
3. Transmission control module for Automatic
4. shifter linkages
5. Shifter boot and mounting plates
6. shifter mount
7. Axles
8.Torque Converter
9. Flex plate
10. Transmission mounting bolts
11. New gauge cluster

or

6-speed to 5-speed

1. Linkages
2. Shifter
3. Axles
4. Etc.

Hoping to have better luck this time around...we'll see.
#8 Old 01-06-2011, 05:11 PM
NewTiburon.com God

valkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond repute

oh oh oh i get it... you're buying a whole new transmission. When you said 05 6-spd i thought you meant a new car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 e92 space gray 328i w/ dakota gray interior
#9 Old 01-06-2011, 05:18 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Haha. No, definitely not. Hyundai will have a hard time ever luring me back after the way they handled the faulty clutch/flywheel on these cars. Wish I had the $ for something new but for now I'll just hope that my $2,000 sacrifice to the transmission gods is enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.