Finishing my automatic to manual conversion - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
dvanderk will become famous soon enoughdvanderk will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Finishing my automatic to manual conversion

Well after years and years with my Tiburon (back in 03, and being turbo'd since 04), I'm converting my tranmission to manual. I have obtained a totaled 03 5 speed Tiburon in which im swapping all the parts I need directly to my car (tranny, wireharness, all accessories related to the tranny). I'm about half done, considering it was a pain removing an engine/tranmission out of a front ended Tiburon whose body was wrapped around the engine.

I will be including pictures and build notes... should be a nice addition to my turbo setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RPMBOARD.COM - The Automotive Social Network
Main Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Desert_Sage has a spectacular aura aboutDesert_Sage has a spectacular aura about
Re: Finishing my automatic to manual conversion

subscribed!

FOR SALE: 2003 GT V6 - 169k miles
#3 Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
07se has a spectacular aura about07se has a spectacular aura about07se has a spectacular aura about

you still twin charging it?
#4 Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
05gttibby

I wanna know more about this swap.. Everything looks like its going to work? Ive only heard of 2-3 tibs doing conversions.. and I know some were a fail.. defiantly wanna know more info!

BeTz
#5 Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Dedication to Thai Cuisine

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
breeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud of

keep it up~~

Lightest DD tib? 2593 lbs and falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Blue View Post
I wish I had 5 Guys inside of me right now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takahashi240 View Post
That is pretty much how I felt the first time I had Five Guys...
#6 Old 11-28-2011, 02:06 PM
NewTiburon.com God

speedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to all

CAN'T BE DONE! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE~

...in the rain.

"People should not be afraid of their government. The government should be afraid of their people."
-V-

#7 Old 11-28-2011, 02:13 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
CAN'T BE DONE! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE~

...in the rain.
lmao.

Main Website:

Facebook:
#8 Old 11-28-2011, 02:15 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Yesterday I removed the engine and tranny from the car. This is a picture of what it looked like before I took the hood off to get the lift in place to pull the motor.

11/28/2001:

* Remove firewall from 5 speed car (dont feel like gashing up and cutting the firewall I have now... wouldnt look nice).

* Remove both dashes.

* Disconnect both main engine harnesses.

* Trace mounting holes for the clutch pedal and obtain coils to allow me to stud the firewall so I can use the oem bolts to mount up.

Main Website:

Facebook:

Last edited by dvanderk; 11-28-2011 at 02:21 PM.
#9 Old 11-28-2011, 02:24 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05gttibby View Post
I wanna know more about this swap.. Everything looks like its going to work? Ive only heard of 2-3 tibs doing conversions.. and I know some were a fail.. defiantly wanna know more info!
Why was it a fail? If you swap the engine wiring harness you should have NO issues (besides litte things such as the clutch pedal placement, etc).

Main Website:

Facebook:
#10 Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

mmd2434 has a spectacular aura aboutmmd2434 has a spectacular aura about

auto--->manual=WIN! cant wait to see the finished product.

2007 i4 5sp. Stagg SHS Struts. Tein Springs. AEM SRI. 5 Zigen's. SFR STS . NIA Eyelids. R1 Concepts Premium Drilled/Slotted Rotors. Stop tech pads. Spec Stage 1 with F1 Lightweight Flywheel. Custom Single Exhaust with Magnaflow HFC and OBX Type-R Muffler. Slave Cylinder Mod. 10mm Rear Spacers. Kenwood and Sony audio.

<---- My Tib
#11 Old 11-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Always Here To Help

TibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of light

no more parasitic loss from the auto tranny.... hello manual fun! Just make sure to have a good clutch combo to handle that Psssssshhhhhhhtttt power! lol

*** The Helper-Mod of The People ***

Current Modded Toys List: GSXR-650, IceBear 150cc Scooter, Manco 6.5hp Go-Kart, 4x4 Ranger 4.0L
#12 Old 11-28-2011, 03:53 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TibbyTurnedTuscani View Post
no more parasitic loss from the auto tranny.... hello manual fun! Just make sure to have a good clutch combo to handle that Psssssshhhhhhhtttt power! lol
I purchased the ARC Chromoly Flywheel from: http://www.drivenbystyle.com/2003-20...-p-244458.html

I will not get the alum flywheel; the arc flywheel is still half the weight of the OEM flywheel but doesnt have to deal with the draw backs of the alum flywheels.

Main Website:

Facebook:
#13 Old 11-28-2011, 04:07 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Any good clutches that you would suggest? My setup's power goal is 400+, so I will need something that start slipping on me.

Main Website:

Facebook:
#14 Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Always Here To Help

TibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of light

Is this going to be a daily driver for you, or a track runner? Cause something strong like a 6-puck clutch is going to be tough for daily driveability but will handle your power.

*** The Helper-Mod of The People ***

Current Modded Toys List: GSXR-650, IceBear 150cc Scooter, Manco 6.5hp Go-Kart, 4x4 Ranger 4.0L
#15 Old 11-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Worst Overall NT Member of 2010

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
krazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond repute

I would use a universal master for this....

2008 toyota prius-Intake, exhaust, lambo doors, leds, spoiler, and more
Worst Overall NT Member of 2010
#16 Old 11-29-2011, 08:48 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Dash removed in my Tiburon.

Main Website:

Facebook:
#17 Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM
NewTiburon.com God

jovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of light

that's looks sooooo wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkare
the trifecta of tiburon groups:

NT
HHOP
Puerto Rico

and none of them seem to get along with each other
#18 Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovanie View Post
that's looks sooooo wrong
Whys that?

Main Website:

Facebook:
#19 Old 11-30-2011, 12:08 AM
NewTiburon.com God

jovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of light

Cant see the tin like that haha, but o know its for the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkare
the trifecta of tiburon groups:

NT
HHOP
Puerto Rico

and none of them seem to get along with each other
#20 Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Bakerking31 is a splendid one to beholdBakerking31 is a splendid one to beholdBakerking31 is a splendid one to beholdBakerking31 is a splendid one to beholdBakerking31 is a splendid one to beholdBakerking31 is a splendid one to beholdBakerking31 is a splendid one to behold

just curious ... if you have a solstice GXP ... why bother? Its far easier and will be much more fun on a Solstice

Second is ... if your hp goals are 400+ why would you switch to manual? The auto will handle the power for less $ and be faster

I am not knocking the manual, i have a 6sp in my new car, but on the tib when you go over 300whp auto>manual by a lot

NGM 2009 Ride of the Year
NT's Best Overall Member 2009
August 2009 NGM Ride Of The Month Winner "Race" Category

#21 Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
maze1291 is just really nicemaze1291 is just really nicemaze1291 is just really nicemaze1291 is just really nice
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeechan View Post
keep it up~~
bad thing to say when you have an avatar such as yours~~

03' GS-R V6Speed .:black and chrome:.

Things breaking is just an opportunity to make them better.
***Delrin Shifter Base & Cable Bushings on Group Buy now for a limited time!***
#22 Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerking31 View Post
just curious ... if you have a solstice GXP ... why bother? Its far easier and will be much more fun on a Solstice

Second is ... if your hp goals are 400+ why would you switch to manual? The auto will handle the power for less $ and be faster

I am not knocking the manual, i have a 6sp in my new car, but on the tib when you go over 300whp auto>manual by a lot
1.) I like a challenge, and I always wanted to have a manual 5 speed Tiburon for my Turbo setup (7 years with my automatic boosted, time for a change). Also I changed from my Solstice to a 2011 2SS Camaro 6 speed; wanted a new everyday driver. Need to upgrade my signature.

2.) The automatic does not handle power for less because of the extensive upgrades between the torque converter change, to tranny valve body pump, and stronger clutch packs, to dual coolers... I have done it all since 2003 and spent a lot of $$$ experimenting and proving theories right and wrong to myself.

Main Website:

Facebook:
#23 Old 11-30-2011, 02:49 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

11/29/11:

The swap is proceeding very quickly! As you can see all the threads on both the manual and automatics are in the same position, making the clutch and break pedal an instant swap.

OEM Manua clutch location:

OEM Automatic:

Main Website:

Facebook:
#24 Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 AM
NewTiburon.com God

speedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to all

You should probably take his brake assembly out too. Looks like the locations of the cable are different.

"People should not be afraid of their government. The government should be afraid of their people."
-V-

#25 Old 12-01-2011, 09:38 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Manual wiring harness has been installed in my Tiburon as well as the stick Shifter and cable wires.

Main Website:

Facebook:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.