Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

High mileage automatic transmission - delayed shift to 4th

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  unix_geek 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,

First post. I'm a new owner of a 2003 Tiburon GT and I love this car.

I've noticed that my shifts from 3rd to 4th gear are a little delayed, winding up a bit before shifting. I found an old thread where a guy had a similar issue but no real resolution was reached and I didn't want to zombify an old thread.

I've been advised by a car friend not to mess with changing my AT fluid as it could free up gunk and ultimately cause my AT to fail. Anybody have any experience with high-mileage auto transmissions and how best to care for them?

#3 ·
I've never heard of an issue with a "drain & fill" on a higher mileage AT.
I've heard of issues with a "flush & fill".

What does your AT fluid look & smell like?
How many miles on the car?

#4 ·
Of course I forgot to include some vital info -- the car has 150,000 miles on it.

The AT fluid is a bit dark -- worried that it's the original. But, does not smell burnt at all so there's that. I cycled it through gears and checked it while in neutral. AT fluid level is a bit low too.

Thanks for the feedback! This community is great!

#6 ·
I'm only familiar with Lucas products. It will stick to the gears so when you start up in the mornings, all the fluid isn't in your pan and not on the gears. It also conditions the seals in the transmission.
If possible, I'd get Hyundai transmission filter and use a good quality transmission synthetic fluid. If you don't use a Hyundai filter, a good parts store should be able to recommend one. I'm not talking about autozone..lol A parts store where they know cars..lol

#8 ·
The filter on our transmissions is buried inside the transmission behind the valve body and is not easily changed; it is designed to last the life of the transmission. You should change the fluid and when you do, make sure you do a complete replacement of all of the fluid using this procedure or something similar. I used Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic when I replaced mine

#9 ·
The filter on our transmissions is buried inside the transmission behind the valve body and is not easily changed; it is designed to last the life of the transmission. You should change the fluid and when you do, make sure you do a complete replacement of all of the fluid using this procedure or something similar. I used Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic when I replaced mine
Thanks! Great link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.