Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

5 spd shifter stiff

3K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Jalexis4192 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, having an issue with my shifter, most of the time, 1st and 2nd are very hard to put into gear or move them around. Others are perfect and go in smooth. I tied to adjust the linkage, grease the shifter, grease the bushings, etc.. Im not one to post unless I've already searched for a bit and tried a few different things.

Have Evo 8 bushings, SFR STS, and TWM base bushings, TWM `1lb shift knob, gear oil changed about 5k miles ago with synchromesh.

Any help is appreciated. I talked to a few of my teachers at school and they all say its the shifter not anything wrong with the transmission. Both 1st and 2nd fully engage, its just the shifter i stiff when doing so.

#2 ·
Could always try some different gear oil. Heavier knob could help as well. You've already greased the bushings though, but it is odd only your lower gears are stiff. A friend of mine had this issue but his was stiff overall. He swapped gear oil and that seemed to help enough.

#3 ·
I have the same situation... it almost feels like there's a little resistance or a "groove" you have to overcome before it fully slides into gear. Mine is mostly in 1st, I notice when rolling towards a red light and shifting into 1st with clutch pressed in. It seems to be easier the slower I'm rolling which makes me wonder if maybe synchros are worn or I'm due for a fluid change. Curious as to what you find out..

#4 ·
From what i understand thats normal to prevent 1st gear from accidentally being engaged, mine goes in easily anything under 5mph, otherwise its sort of hard to get in. But if thats your case its normal and were on two completely different topics lol.

#8 ·
For everyone with a "stiff shifter" [insert crude jokes here........ LOL.........], is it the same engine on vs. engine off?
If no, it may be clutch drag. You could also try double clutching (lots of references on the Internet) to see if it helps.
Subaru's are a ROYAL PITA to get into 1st above ~12MPH unless you double clutch/rev match.

If it's always tight, try disconnecting the cables at the trans and see if it's still stiff. You may need to get lube (I use Lock-Eze) down the inside of the cable housing.

#9 ·
I'm actually waiting till I'm off to do that, already saw you mention it on another thread. It also does it car on or off. But your confusing it with the resistance that's there so you don't accidentally engage first, Its not that. Its just stiff to move the shifter itself into first, from first to second, and when going from second to third. In simpler terms, any left ward movement is stiff and requires some force to move the shifter, car on or off. I figured it was just that the linkage needed to be adjusted but I can't find anything on new tib on how to adjust it. All i find are a few people mentioning success by adjusting it but no one goes into detail on how they did it. Already asked some Hyundai techs and no one really knows the answer.

#10 · (Edited)
I've never seen a "safety device" to prevent going into 1st, it's usually too high a vehicle speed and the synchro has a hard time matching gear dog speeds, thus the hard shifting unless you double clutch/speed match.
The ratio change from 2nd to 1st is huge, one of the largest there is. This means there is a larger engine RPM change to match gear/synchro speeds.

Again, sounds like either there is a cable bind (need to get lube down inside the cable housing), linkage (which you & others seem to have checked) or clutch drag. Thus my question regarding if it does it engine off as well which tends to rule out the clutch.

BTW, I've read through the manual, I see nothing about adjusting the shifter or linkage. It's possible you have a stretched cable (not likely, but who knows).

#11 ·
Yes, you're going too fast. If you have a 6speed, second is good clear down to like 8mph, use that.

#13 ·
Which solid bushings? At the shifter or trans?
Did you lube them 1st and then check movement before "being done"?:nerd2:

#15 ·
Did you check cable stiffness (with them disconnected from the trans)?

Yes, you covered most of the bases, trying to rule out the "cheap stuff".>:D

#16 ·
I'll check tomorrow during school. If its sort of temperature related any suggestions on what it could be? I find it doesn't do it on my drive home from work (I work less then a mile from home) or first few dozen shifts when driving home from school. After a few miles when the cars fully warmed up it does it.

#17 ·
Wanted to update this with what I've been up to, Lubed up the bushings again for a third time and while i was there also sprayed some WD40 on every moving part that thats related to the linkage. All i can say is WOW. Made such a difference. Such a difference that I've been getting used to the shifter over the last few days.

Id also like to note that a squeaking sound i used to hear when shifting with the car off went away also. My guess is that maybe all the engine washing i like to do everyone once in a while added up to some rust or something and thats what was causing the stiffness. Thanks to everyone who helps!

#18 ·
My guess is that maybe all the engine washing i like to do everyone once in a while added up to some rust or something and thats what was causing the stiffness. Thanks to everyone who helps!
I should really do this sometime...lord knows how dirty my engine bay probably is lol. Woops 0:) Glad to hear you're all good now though.

#21 ·
On top of the trans. I used WD40 since its all i had handy at school. Teacher suggested i use some lithium spray, but the clear one. Im currently on a search for some. All i find is white lithium spray lol. Also, engine is so clean its been named cleanest at school.. ill post a pic later.

#22 ·
I use white lithium grease for shifters & things that slide, I use Silicone spray for things that tend to rotate (like the shifter arms on the trans).

Can't say I ever heard of "clear lithium".....

Regardless, thanks again for the follow-up.

#23 ·
I never did either, teacher mentioned it today since we were on the subject and i mentioned that the WD40 worked really well. He said it'd work for a bit then wear out and that i should consider it to make it a bit longer lasting. Any way, was gonna ask to see what you recommended so thanks for that lol.

And yeah, i wanted to at least post some update to this since I've had this issue for a while and had very little success with any sort of answer from new tib or any other hyundai related forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.