Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

2003 hyundai tiburon 2.0 differential gone..

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  CodyTucker 
#1 ·
Hi guys so my differential is gone. I'm wondering how car it would be to change it or if there are any recalls...

#2 ·
To change the differential you will have to take the tranny apart as far as I know. You might be better off just getting a used tranny. I would imagine it would be a lot cheaper than trying to find a differential and then replacing it in the existing transmission. When I had my LSD installed it was a grand right there. You can probably find a good, used tranny for around $300 or so.

#3 ·
What makes you think the diff is gone? Could be a number of things.

As to replacing it, yes, trans has to come out and open the cases. If you're doing all that, I would also think about how old the clutch is (assuming it's a MT) since now would be the time to do it.

#4 ·
will a elantra tranny work in my tib?

Hi there. I have a auto 2.0 2003 tib. I found a elantra tranny out of a 2003. I am wondering if it will fit and work fine?

#5 ·
@thomasd2003 please stop creating multiple thread for related issues.

Keep adding info in this one and if you ever have a question regarding a completely different subject, feel free to create a new thread.

Thanks.

#6 ·
What makes you think the diff is gone? Could be a number of things.

As to replacing it, yes, trans has to come out and open the cases. If you're doing all that, I would also think about how old the clutch is (assuming it's a MT) since now would be the time to do it.
Its auto and the diferential is gone had it on a hoist today and checked it out. So I'm wondering if a tranny out of a 2003 elantra will fit in mine and work properly

#7 ·
To change the differential you will have to take the tranny apart as far as I know. You might be better off just getting a used tranny. I would imagine it would be a lot cheaper than trying to find a differential and then replacing it in the existing transmission. When I had my LSD installed it was a grand right there. You can probably find a good, used tranny for around $300 or so.
Hey jake do you know if a tranny from a. 03 auto elantra will work in my 03/2.0 auto tib?

#9 · (Edited)
CHIME.........

>:D

Looking at RockAuto, they list the same AT rebuild for Tib's, Sonata's, etc. It's listed as the "F4A42" AT.
Based on that, sounds good, but I'm not 100% sure. There "may" be a case difference.

PS, calling a local junkyard should give the answer. They have interchange guides that show what swaps to what as a bolt in.

#10 ·
CHIME.........

>

Looking at RockAuto, they list the same AT rebuild for Tib's, Sonata's, etc. It's listed as the "F4A42" AT.
Based on that, sounds good, but I'm not 100% sure. There "may" be a case difference.

PS, calling a local junkyard should give the answer. They have interchange guides that show what swaps to what as a bolt in.
So charlie that means the elantra tranny should work??

#11 ·
Looks like it (unless others have more info).

As I stated, call a local junkyard, they have TON's of interchange info.>:D

#12 ·
Looks like it (unless others have more info).

As I stated, call a local junkyard, they have TON's of interchange info.>
Well I called the junkyards and their computers say the trannys are different because they have a different part number but even still it could be something simple like gear ratios. Do you think shiftronic will work and will it shift properly?

#13 ·
Sorry for not responding sooner but I just saw this. I cannot say for certain that the transmission are the same. I did a quick check and it appears that you can swap a manual 02-04 elantra transmission for a 5 spd tib transmission. From what I read the gear ratios are a little different but that was about it. I would ASSume the same would be true for the autos but I don't know.

And assuming you could simply bolt the transmission up I don't know if the shiftronic will work.
@TuscaniTech05 might be able to shine some light on the matter. After all he was the one that swapped a 2.7 into an elantra.

#14 ·
Sorry for not responding sooner but I just saw this. I cannot say for certain that the transmission are the same. I did a quick check and it appears that you can swap a manual 02-04 elantra transmission for a 5 spd tib transmission. From what I read the gear ratios are a little different but that was about it. I would ASSume the same would be true for the autos but I don't know.

And assuming you could simply bolt the transmission up I don't know if the shiftronic will work.
@TuscaniTech05 might be able to shine some light on the matter. After all he was the one that swapped a 2.7 into an elantra.
Well the rebuild kits on rock auto show the same part number for both cars and share the same transmission code name

#15 · (Edited)
Well that is what @Charlie-III was saying earlier. Rock Auto is pretty good about being accurate with their products but it is always good to get more than one point of reference for clarification. Maybe Andysauto has something as well that will verify what RockAuto has.

Also, check out Jim Ellis Hyundai out. They are a dealer in Atlanta, GA i believe. Their website should have a PN break down of all the components for the Tib.

EDIT: here is a quick link to the website I was talking about http://www.jimellishyundai.com/parts/index.htm

#16 ·
is your car an automatic or a manual ? a 5 speed XD elantra tranny from 01-06 will get you back on your way no problem at all, same trans, same clutch, same axles etc etc etc. i actually scrapped a good one nobody wanted on here out of my '03 Elantra when i did the V6/ MFA60 swap.

as far as automatic goes as long as you dont have one of those weird early production cars with a spin-on transmission oil filter (looks just like a regular oil filter screwed on top of the bellhousing), again an elantra trans will work fine, although you may need an adaptive learning reset done via a GDS when you get it done as the tranny may shift kinda jerky for the first 1000 or so miles otherwise. hope that helps

#17 ·
is your car an automatic or a manual ? a 5 speed XD elantra tranny from 01-06 will get you back on your way no problem at all, same trans, same clutch, same axles etc etc etc. i actually scrapped a good one nobody wanted on here out of my '03 Elantra when i did the V6/ MFA60 swap.

as far as automatic goes as long as you dont have one of those weird early production cars with a spin-on transmission oil filter (looks just like a regular oil filter screwed on top of the bellhousing), again an elantra trans will work fine, although you may need an adaptive learning reset done via a GDS when you get it done as the tranny may shift kinda jerky for the first 1000 or so miles otherwise. hope that helps
The swap worked out good and it is shifting totally fine!

#18 ·
i dont see why the transmission would be different . the tibby and the elantra use the same 2.0L engine so they should have the same transmission bell housing and i can't imagine hyundai using a different trans, but the gear ratios may be different. i mean come on they used a 2.5 from an old sonata and bored it out to a 2.7 !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.