Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

03 6-speed Possible Bent Clutch Fork????

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Sparky72 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
Here I am again with ye ole clutch problems. I have just replaced the clutch again due to TOB issue (or so I thought). Long story short, this is my fourth clutch but the first time I have ran into this problem. New clutch, pressure plate, TOB, slave cylinder (6-speed), and Master Cylinder.
I'm hitting a wall about half-way down with the clutch pedal. I have noticed that the slave cylinder plunger is all the way out against the snap ring when this happens but it is not going far enough to dis-engage the pressure plate. I have read many threads on here and checked everything I could. I inspected the fork when it was apart but it didn't appear to be bent or anything. There were some signs of wear from old age and I had to install a bushing in the bottom hole where the fork inserts due to the hole being worn and was sloppy. (this particular one did not originally have a bushing so I had to mod it slightly). everything went together fine or so it seemed.
I apologize for bringing up old news but I cant seem to find a fix or figure out if its something I have done wrong. Like I said, I have replaced it several times so its not new to me. Just another obstacle. I don't want to pull the tranny again unless I have to.
Also, Is there a way to save the TOB if I have to pull the tranny again????

Thanks for all your feedback. Its much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
The lever that is mounted to the top of the TOB fork shaft on top of the transmission which connects to the slave cylinder, did you ever take that off?
Have you been sure that you are putting the lever back into the correct place?

The fork very well could be bent.

If by save the TOB you mean take the TOB off the pressure plate when it's apart again, then yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOqYW8MUOzo

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Yes I did remove the lever. I do know that it will only go on one way due to the splines on it. I am going to be checking out the vid you posted very soon on the TOB also.

I can put a large wrench on the lever and feel the PP pull in and out so I have no doubt the TOB is snapped in correctly. I will probably be pulling the tranny again this afternoon.
Thanks again!

#4 ·
Is it possible for the connecting rod on the slave cylinder to be too short? The one I ordered is said to be for a 6 speed and the bolt holes are offset. Everything I've seen shows the position of the lever to be correct with very little free play. Could I possibly be getting the wrong slave cylinder. I extended it about 3/8 of an inch and it seems to be working properly as far as disengaging the PP but I haven't gotten everything hooked back up yet.

#5 ·
If you have the old slave cylinder, compare to the new one.

#8 ·
I just noticed these replies. Thanks for the info guys. Everything seems fine as far as the slave cylinder is concerned. The linkage is installed correctly. Still not sure what is different. Possibly wore out clutch fork.

UPDATE! Finally got everything put back together and tested it. It's shifts now better than it ever has (I hope it lasts). The only thing I did differently was to extend the shifting rod in the slave cylinder about 3/8" to disengage the PP(welder at work and an old slave cylinder rod).

Having said that, I also replaced front struts(KYB) complete with bellows and bump stops, wheel bearings, hubs, upper strut bushings, sway bar bushings, master and slave cylinder, both control arms, and crank position sensor. Tomorrow will be the rear struts.
I was just trying to sell it when all went to the toilet. Guess I'll keep it a little bit longer.

Again thanks for all the info I have found on this Forum.

#11 ·
Well it appears as thought I do have the correct slave cylinder. Thanks for the pic btw! I guess at this time I'll never know what the problem is. Once the problem arises again, I will replace the clutch fork as well. Hopefully that will be at least 2 years from now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.