Alpine Developments: Buyer Beware - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Alpine Developments: Buyer Beware

Alpine Developments and Me. I'm sorry its a little long, but this is actually is just a summary. Please read through so you all can understand where I'm coming from and why you need to avoid buying anything from Alpine Developments.

Ok. Some of you know me personally and some of you only know me by my screen name. My name is David Dickson and this is a quick history of me and my historical association with Alpine Developments. I'm writing this summary in the hopes that some of you heed my advice and don't get screwed like I did!

2003. I purchased the very first Beta2 prototype kit from Alpine Developments for my then two month old I4 Tiburon. It took about 3 months to receive my kit which also had a prototype piggyback ECU. The Unichip had not been installed on a Beta2 at this time. I knew what I was getting into and accepted the fact that it was a prototype kit.

2004. I spent a lot of time and money helping Alpine R&D their new Beta2 kit and never was compensated. At first this bothered me then I met John Conchie when they were located in L.A. and was impressed by his knowledge and with what I thought was sincerity. So I didn't bother trying to get any of the many hours of Dyno Time and custom fabrication back.

Fast Forward a year to 2005. John Conchie and I had become friends and he flew me out to help them run their booth at SEMA. This was the first time I started to see some things wrong with the company, but I didn't yet know the extent of their problems. At this time I started doing the website development for them because the previous website was utter crap and had never been update from their days in South Africa. Again I was not compensated at all, but at the time I thought I was helping out a good friend.

2006. John Conchie said he was getting tired of living working in California and I suggested they check out Colorado. Housing and commercial properties are much cheaper here. He said he needed to lower his operating costs to maximize his profits. John decided Colorado was the place he needed to be but said they couldn't afford to move immediately and were trying to get a loan to get the process moving. He convinced me to co-sign on a loan that would help them move them and the business to Colorado. He said I would never have to pay a dime on the loan because business was good. I agreed because it has always been a dream of mine to work/co-own a High Performance Aftermarket company.

Mid-2006 Alpine moves to Colorado. It isn't till Alpine is in Colorado that I discover what a sad state the company is in. There are basically 3 total employees at Alpine. John Conchie, who is the founder/owner, Penny Conchie, John's wife and Secretary, and Richard, the supposed Sales Manager. That's it! On top of that their accounting records are a mess. Orders are coming in but they don't have any components in stock to fill them. Hence why it sometimes takes 3 or more months to ship an order. The money from future orders is used to buy the parts for the current ones. The company was always operating on negative cash flow. A far cry from what John told me.
So I decide to buckle down and do what I can for John and Alpine. I have a full time M-F job, but most days after work I went into to Alpine to do whatever I could to keep the business moving. Again I was not compensated for my time, but I chalked it up to pursuing my dream. After a while things started to get worse and worse. Orders were taking longer and longer to fill as less and less money was available to buy kit components. I later learned the John and Family were using the loan I co-signed on to live with and get by. The loan money was only supposed to be for business expenses and to help pay for the move. Turns out they had no money in California and used up the entire loan in a few months!! I also later found out that I was the primary signer on the loan, not just the co-signer. (I know, I know, I should have really looked closer at the loan application, but again I was told I wouldn't have to pay a dime)
2007. At this point Alpine is again bleeding money and me and my wife have to assume the business loan just so my credit doesn't get totally screwed. In the meantime John Conchie is attempting to make a deal with a business in Arizona called LC Engineering. This is supposed to be a partnership that was supposed to help Alpine get back on its feet. They get LC Engineering to pay for their move and write a check to buy the much needed components to fill the outstanding orders. Alpine moves to Arizona and that turned out to be a big mistake. Things get worse not better and customers start getting kits with missing components and pieces. This is when I start trying to distance myself from Alpine the company. My dream was quickly becoming a nightmare.
Mid 2007. Alpine as a company is in severe trouble and on the verge of going out of business. I have not received any money as repayment for the 82,000 USD loans I signed for Alpine. LC Engineering is now out upwards of 40,000 USD. I completely have separated myself from the company but I still attempt to help people who bought their products where/when I can.
Late 2007. I find out John and Alpine have secretly left the United States and moved back to South Africa. They have left me, LC Engineering and several other companies high and dry. They still owed many California, Colorado, and Arizona companies’ unpaid bills. At this point I not only have distanced myself from the company, but I no longer consider John or his family as friends.
2008. I no longer support Alpine products and do not recommend anyone buying anything from them. They are crooks. Also I will no longer help people who have problems with their products. It is no longer worth my time to help Alpine save whatever they have left of their reputation.
Now I know some of you have had bad experiences with Alpine and might say "I told you so!". But you have to remember I was tricked into what I thought was a genuine friendship. On top of that I was manipulated by my desire to own/operate a performance company. Either way, I've learned my lesson and I will NEVER trust anyone in a business type environment again. Thanks for nothing Alpine!
The moral of my story is save your money and support the honest companies out there. Do not gamble your hard earned cash on a product that you'll either wait months for or might not even get it at all. (Yes I know of instances where customers paid and received absolutely nothing!)

thanks for listening!

Dave Dickson

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 04:59 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DBPM
Re: Alpine Developments and Me.

Thank you for putting it and yourself out there like that. When I met John in SoCal in early 06 I was very unimpressed with the warehouse operation he had going on. My hopes for you are that you and your family are doing better now that your affiliation with them is dissolved.
post #3 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Banned

paxx is an unknown quantity at this point

bump

post #4 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM
NewTiburon.com God

SpeedCheeser has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedCheeser has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedCheeser has a spectacular aura about

Wow. That sucks man. Thanks for clearing up all the questions that were out there on Alpine. Good luck with everything and I hope you manage well enough after all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymikeygt View Post
NT ftw. where a post can go from rep to anal.......
post #5 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

i2tuning.com is an unknown quantity at this point

crazy ..... he we were looking for a 100K loan ... care to help!?

All jokes aside, I am sorry to hear you got screwed over like that. Gotta take care of the people who help! We are slowly taking care of the people who helped us build who we are. Hard to believe they were in such a sad state of affairs.

The best of luck to your financial future, hope this didn't screw you over too much.
post #6 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:12 PM
NewTiburon.com God

20tibby_gt06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
Wow. That sucks man. Thanks for clearing up all the questions that were out there on Alpine. Good luck with everything and I hope you manage well enough after all of this.
+1 I hope that you and your family are doing better now.

Alpine FTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:12 PM
NewTiburon.com God

JPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to all

Well, i wouldn't say not to trust people in a business again, but just to do more diligent research on what is going on.

You should talk to a good accountant and lawyer about the loan. They may be able to legally get you out of it without it crushing your credit.

I givz u post count bak. hW
thank u. It was hell being a newb again....
post #8 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 PM
NewTiburon.com God

bagpiper will become famous soon enoughbagpiper will become famous soon enough

Sorry that happened like that. I'd say what I think, but the web sensor will delete most of it. Like I said, at least you got on here and threw it out there. I hate to see anyone get shafted like that.

Sent you an email. Looks like someone has some money?

my titan audio

Last edited by bagpiper; 01-22-2008 at 05:53 PM.
post #9 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 PM

mikemodena is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that happened to you.. that really really sucks

Makes me feel guilty I've got an Alpine product on my car... atleast it was purchased from another member and not directly from them
post #10 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Former CIO

bms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another level

ouch man sorry to hear that. if you need us to remove any alpine related threads i will be more than happy.

I am no longer an admin. Please do not PM me with site issues. Use the report post button.
post #11 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Lighting and Accessories

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Diode Dynamics is a glorious beacon of lightDiode Dynamics is a glorious beacon of lightDiode Dynamics is a glorious beacon of lightDiode Dynamics is a glorious beacon of lightDiode Dynamics is a glorious beacon of lightDiode Dynamics is a glorious beacon of light

Hope you don't mind I posted this on a couple of other Hyundai forums.

Thanks for the info. I don't blame you, I'd probably do the same thing. Good luck getting all the way out of it man.

NEWTIBURON'S BEST SPONSOR OF 2007 AND 2008
NewTiburon's 2007 AND 2008 Best Overall Member
NewTiburon's 2007 2nd Most Informative Member

(314) 205-3033
post #12 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 PM
EL NINJA MODERADOR

YoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another level

Maybe we can begin deleting the alpine option on the sticky supercharger thread on F/I...

Sorry To hear David.

post #13 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 05:58 PM
NewTiburon.com God

VECCHIONI27 has a spectacular aura aboutVECCHIONI27 has a spectacular aura about

good to know, **** ALPINE and goodluck to you in the future.
post #14 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 PM

teylix

ouch.

yeah i wouldve never bought an alpine if it were from alpine them self.

got mine from a member here.

Sound setup: Rainbow SLC 265, JL 500/1 & JL 300/4 amps, 2 JL 10W6v2 subs
Mods: Progress rear sway bar, Injen SRI, Mussa dual exhaust,
Hotshot headers, Zeitronix wideband, Mafterburner, Alpine S/C stage 1,
Zefiro Chaos CF hood, Metaphor bumper, D2 coilovers
post #15 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 06:07 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

tib06ltdSATX can only hope to improve

sorry to hear about your situation bro... small businesses becoming big business is far and few between. my professor in marketing said today that 83% fail. it's a sad story indeed and what they did to you is just wrong on so many levels.

on a side note and not to be a dick here. alpine was the only one producing a s/c for the tib?

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." -Michael Jordan
post #16 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM
EL NINJA MODERADOR

YoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tib06ltdSATX View Post
alpine was the only one producing a s/c for the tib?

There are better ones with better customer support; NGM has the Sniper and the Assassin.

post #17 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
NewTiburon.com God

openthewell will become famous soon enough

It takes a big man to admit one's mistakes, and you sir have my respect.

May John burn for what he was done to you and countless others.

Perhaps a new 'Biggest Douche of the Universe' award is in order?

Sold the Sniper, now I'm getting passed by snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi
Stupidity, Man's greatest predator. Shame the poor animal didn't get to feed that night.
post #18 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Non-emo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Xion is on another levelXion is on another levelXion is on another levelXion is on another levelXion is on another levelXion is on another levelXion is on another levelXion is on another levelXion is on another levelXion is on another levelXion is on another level

Sounds about right. Having emailed back and forth with Richard and John while trying to help another member with their order, it was very obvious from the start that neither of them was a stand-up type of guy. Definitely not someone I'd want to do business with.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.
post #19 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 06:31 PM
NewTiburon.com God

JPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to all

what would be nice though would be to get our hands on some of their products and reproduce them. I mean, from what i've heard, the ones that people did get were good products... lol

I givz u post count bak. hW
thank u. It was hell being a newb again....
post #20 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 06:50 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

xylophi is an unknown quantity at this point

Wah, the company which sold supercharger packages for tibs?
I've never thought things like this about them...
I am sorry about your loss...

xylophi
Atlanta, GA, USA
post #21 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Jay-M

I didn't know it was this bad... thanks for taking the time to let us know

I'm sorry for what happened to you, I hope that it gets better for you from now on

Boosted '01 Tiburon... best 1/4 ET: 12.88@107.39 (20psi)
Beta Swapped '98 Accent... best 1/4 ET: TBD

OBD-II Code Readers and Scanners on sale...Great prices!!!
Bosch HID Conversion Kits... Clearance Sale... Now only for $162 Shipped!!!

post #22 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
SharkInfested will become famous soon enough
Garage

wow i would have never guessed they were in this shape. Sorry to hear about that man. I know if i was in that situation i'd be feeling pretty sick to my stomach. Hope things look up for you and your family especially for just being a nice guy and trying to help someone that you thought was your friend.

2003 Tiburon GS-R
NGM Sniper Stage 2 Supercharged!

post #23 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Rool : Pron Spammer

hotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another level

I think the only real advantage to the Alpines were the Stage 0/1's were CARB certified.

Someone should duplicate the casting mold for the intake manifold. Wasn't it sand casted?

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, R00l made God. Then, God made Earth."

post #24 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 07:38 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
ItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to beholdItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to beholdItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to beholdItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to beholdItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to beholdItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to behold

If it makes you feel any better, I lost $15,000 due to Alpine--and like you, I supported them until the bitter end. I don't believe John did anything with intent to screw people though. He's just really that bad of a businessman and has absolutely no idea how to run his own life--let alone a business.

Very sad for the Hyundai market...

- Premiere Korean Product Supplier

Seibon | M&S Carart | Injen | Luxon | VIS | GT Tech
AEM | RoadRace | ARK | Road Runs | Concepto | Zefiro

E-mail:
/ AIM: ImportSharkInfo
post #25 of 128 Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mahonroy will become famous soon enough

A little something else to add lol. John had me designing turbokits for him for elantras, welding intercoolers for him, etc. Kept saying he was going to pay me for all the materials I payed for out of my wallet, and all the time I put into making these things for him. Never payed me a dime lol...

-New Turbo (Dynoed At 242whp At 12psi)!
-2004 Silver Hyundai Elantra GT Sedan Turbocharged at 24psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.