SMOKE coming from headers..... be worried? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Always Here To Help

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
SMOKE coming from headers..... be worried?

Ok all..... I just finished my header install about 20 min ago..... when I started the car up it idled fine, everything seemed perfect..... as it started to warm up I started to get a clearish-whitish smoke coming from the headers.......

Now I have wrapped my headers with header wrap, and from what Heratik and I can tell it seems like the smoke is not oil burning, it smells more like burning plastic or glue.

My question is this.... Since I wrapped the headers do you think it is just the header wrap glue burning off since it is brand new? I let the car idle for like 10 min and the smoke just kept coming. I'm almost 100% positive that no plastic of any kind is touching the header, and no wires are anywhere near close to contacting the header to burn them.

Has anybody dealt with header wrap, and has it had this effect?

Thanks all.... I'm going to check in the morning to see if any of the wires were melting or not.

*** The Helper-Mod of The People ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Current Modded Toys List: GSXR-650, IceBear 150cc Scooter, Manco 6.5hp Go-Kart, 4x4 Ranger 4.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Tuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SMOKE coming from headers..... be worried?

wow double thread lol

hmm maybe its the grease from your hands burning off from the headers when you installed it.

i dunno the answer free bump though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MY OTHER RIDE PULLS YOURS OVER.
And my other ride is a Tree Fiddy Z
#3 Old 08-08-2008, 10:50 PM
NewTiburon.com God

kikassboy is a glorious beacon of lightkikassboy is a glorious beacon of lightkikassboy is a glorious beacon of lightkikassboy is a glorious beacon of lightkikassboy is a glorious beacon of lightkikassboy is a glorious beacon of light

it's normal. let your car run for a little bit and the smoke won't come back after the initial burn off

V/T Engineering
Sponsored by: RRM, Toyo, Progress, Mishimoto, InStyle Graphics, Zeitronix, BC Racing, USAutotech, Puente Hill Hyundai
Featuring: Frixa Brakes
#4 Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

tibin-in-ricon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikassboy View Post
it's normal. let your car run for a little bit and the smoke won't come back after the initial burn off

Mine did it as well (and I put stockers back on)

smelled exactly like plasic or something, it totally went away after about two days. (diddn't drive the car much)

Tib is gone...

Hello vette!
#5 Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 PM
NewTiburon.com God

markstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of light

yup normal on new!
#6 Old 08-08-2008, 11:29 PM

valkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond repute

no man.... that's bad. Recheck your installation again, mine did the same thing and my engine needed a lot of work as a result.

lol, it's the grease, oil, wd40, whatever burning off; perfectly normal.

2007 e92 space gray 328i w/ dakota gray interior
#7 Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Tibzie

Holy Smokes! yes. this is normal. thankyoumovealong

08' Civic SI Sedan | i-VTEC | 6 Speed | STS | CF Hood | TB Spacer | P2R Thermal Gaskets | Spoon Catback System | Megan Racing H Brace | M.R. F & R Tie bars | Eibach Lowering Prokit | Mugen Visors | Retrofit 5000k HID | 3000k Fogs/Highbeam |

#8 Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Always Here To Help

TibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)

Only reason i thought it was bad was because I let it burn off and idle for like 10-15min and it was still burning off pretty good.... I was thinking it was the header wrap glue burning off, but I wanted to make sure...... not to mention I don't think it would be a wire or anything burning.

PS.... Nice white text above.... but you didn't get me to miss it.... lol

Current Modded Toys List: GSXR-650, IceBear 150cc Scooter, Manco 6.5hp Go-Kart, 4x4 Ranger 4.0L
#9 Old 08-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Always Here To Help

(Thread Starter)

So I let the car sit overnight, and I decided to fire it up again this morning..... same as last night, it starts up perfect, idles fine, revs great..... when I let it sit for a bit the white smoke just starts to come pouring out of the engine bay ..... I swear it smells like the header wrap burning, but I just can't tell....

Anybody have any other ideas? I don't want to drive it if its going to be smoking like that, I looked at the wrap on the front header and it seems like it has carmalized/blackened the edges of the wrap..... and the front header doesn't seem to be smoking as much anymore... however I used a different kind of wrap for the rear header, and it seems like that wrap is smoking a bunch.

#10 Old 08-09-2008, 01:46 PM
NewTiburon.com God

alpinewhite is just really nicealpinewhite is just really nicealpinewhite is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TibbyTurnedTuscani View Post
So I let the car sit overnight, and I decided to fire it up again this morning..... same as last night, it starts up perfect, idles fine, revs great..... when I let it sit for a bit the white smoke just starts to come pouring out of the engine bay ..... I swear it smells like the header wrap burning, but I just can't tell....

Anybody have any other ideas? I don't want to drive it if its going to be smoking like that, I looked at the wrap on the front header and it seems like it has carmalized/blackened the edges of the wrap..... and the front header doesn't seem to be smoking as much anymore... however I used a different kind of wrap for the rear header, and it seems like that wrap is smoking a bunch.
its definitely the wrap causing this... thought about cutting it off yet? i would. its probably not going to help much anyways. in fact it could be quite bad for the headers. the wrap doesnt allow the headers to dissipate heat, it holds heat and moisture against the metal and it could cause them to prematurely rot out.

~~2007 Volkswagen GTI DSG~~ Neuspeed Intake, blackout sidemarkers, bicycle rack.

#11 Old 08-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Always Here To Help

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite View Post
its definitely the wrap causing this... thought about cutting it off yet? i would. its probably not going to help much anyways. in fact it could be quite bad for the headers. the wrap doesnt allow the headers to dissipate heat, it holds heat and moisture against the metal and it could cause them to prematurely rot out.

Hum.... never thought about that..... maybe i'll just pull it all off..... (Sigh.... it cost like $50 for the wrap.... and the time to do it... oh well..... as long as she stops smoking I'll be happy.... lol

#12 Old 08-09-2008, 02:12 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Stiff_Richard is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny I stumbled onto this web site by accident today. I was just speaking with a buddy of mine and told him I had thought about putting headers on my 06 SE to go along with the sunroof deflector that adds so much wind resistance. Where would one check first for headers, and what are some of the brands out there? Of course if I still had my Chevy z71, I wouldn't be asking such a goofy question because I worked at an aftermarket shop for a while and put those on myself. Is it quite an entertaining task to put headers on a Tibby?
#13 Old 08-09-2008, 02:47 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

03GtNew2Me is an unknown quantity at this point

v6 or i4? i4 is easy, v6 isnt bad from what i hear just a little more labor intensive

Exterior - Clear Corner, Clear Tails, DD shorty, Paulys AEs
Interior - Custom Painted Parts, DD LED stuff (Full Interior Kit)
Performance - AEM CAI, Valeo clutch and lightweight flywheel, NGM/SSA headers Shark Racing Front Strut Bar, KJB Shifter Base Bushings, Borla Exhaust

TIBURON T BADGE
#14 Old 08-09-2008, 03:00 PM
NewTiburon.com God

alpinewhite is just really nicealpinewhite is just really nicealpinewhite is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TibbyTurnedTuscani View Post
Hum.... never thought about that..... maybe i'll just pull it all off..... (Sigh.... it cost like $50 for the wrap.... and the time to do it... oh well..... as long as she stops smoking I'll be happy.... lol
yeah it may be time to just pull it off... especially if you used an off-brand wrap... it could just be sh!tty adhesive thats taking forever to cure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff_Richard View Post
Funny I stumbled onto this web site by accident today. I was just speaking with a buddy of mine and told him I had thought about putting headers on my 06 SE to go along with the sunroof deflector that adds so much wind resistance. Where would one check first for headers, and what are some of the brands out there? Of course if I still had my Chevy z71, I wouldn't be asking such a goofy question because I worked at an aftermarket shop for a while and put those on myself. Is it quite an entertaining task to put headers on a Tibby?
here where you should start:
**The OFFICIAL V6 Header Thread**
i have these headers paired with a magnaflow cat and a Greddy SP2 exhaust, theyre awesome.
http://www.importshark.com/allperfor...p?image_id=108

~~2007 Volkswagen GTI DSG~~ Neuspeed Intake, blackout sidemarkers, bicycle rack.

#15 Old 08-09-2008, 03:20 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
sandiego_tib is just really nicesandiego_tib is just really nicesandiego_tib is just really nice

That's messed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkare View Post
lol, it's the grease, oil, wd40, whatever burning off; perfectly normal.

1999 GT3-look 911 Carrera 4 • 1996 Corvette C4 • 2011 Murano (Autozone runs)

#16 Old 08-11-2008, 01:20 AM
NewTiburon.com God

04TIBURONGT will become famous soon enough

scott like i told you on the phone it is completely normal and the wrap is just heating up. if you decide to leave the wrap on the best thing you can do is leave it run/drive it for a while to let it burn off. how does the wrap go on is it some kind of glue? if so even if you remove the wrap it is still going to smoke because the left over glue is still going to burn off. your best bet is to leave it on and run the car like i said. it will go away with a little bit of time.

ZEX Nitrous, NGM St.lV lower manifold, Headers, Tsudo catback, Magnaflow high flow cat, AEM CAI, Fidanza flywheel, CM st.4 4puck ,weopon R damper, RRM rear strut bar, polly motor mount inserts, VIS CYBER hood, Gunmetal Motegi Racing SP5 wheels, Tint, Dropzone springs, Angel eyes, Red out's, Ark short antenna, 2 seater conversion

Last edited by 04TIBURONGT; 08-11-2008 at 01:21 AM.
#17 Old 08-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Always Here To Help

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TIBURONGT View Post
scott like i told you on the phone it is completely normal and the wrap is just heating up. if you decide to leave the wrap on the best thing you can do is leave it run/drive it for a while to let it burn off. how does the wrap go on is it some kind of glue? if so even if you remove the wrap it is still going to smoke because the left over glue is still going to burn off. your best bet is to leave it on and run the car like i said. it will go away with a little bit of time.

Basically I tried to do that, I ran it around for about an hour with no change in the smoking, it just kept coming. So I let it cool down overnight and I took a look at it in the morning, it looked as though the header wrap was burning..... wierd I know.... I barely touched the wrap with my finger and it broke off and fell to the garage floor..... I jacked the car up and took the rest of the wrap off (took like 1 min, as it all just fell right off)....

SO I took the car down the street and back and it seems as though the smoking has stopped finally...

I did see that there was a line, not sure what it was exactly that was lightly rubbing the header and was starting to melt through, I fixed it and wrapped it, and pulled it up and out of the way, so I should be good to go.... I'll check on friday when I get home from work as I'm gone in Michigan all week this week.

#18 Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 PM

valkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond repute

glad to hear it's all slowly working itself out. Post some clips of the setup when it's all said and done

Btw which brand headers do you have? Also, random exhaust choice, care to post a link? Or is it custom?

2007 e92 space gray 328i w/ dakota gray interior
#19 Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Always Here To Help

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
glad to hear it's all slowly working itself out. Post some clips of the setup when it's all said and done

Btw which brand headers do you have? Also, random exhaust choice, care to post a link? Or is it custom?

Hey there... yea, the tib should be backup and running perfectly on Friday when I get home, I just have to make sure one wire is no longer touching the header.

As for the videos I'll have to get one when I get home on friday.

As for the exhaust, I have the JunB.L exhaust, it is amazing quality and all 100% hand made from the Korean race division. Phenominal sound and quality.... not to mention there are only a few of them that I know of floating around.... I would definately recommend buying one to anybody if they ever got the chance.

#20 Old 08-11-2008, 02:45 PM
NewTiburon.com God

04TIBURONGT will become famous soon enough

glad to hear everything worked out scott.

ZEX Nitrous, NGM St.lV lower manifold, Headers, Tsudo catback, Magnaflow high flow cat, AEM CAI, Fidanza flywheel, CM st.4 4puck ,weopon R damper, RRM rear strut bar, polly motor mount inserts, VIS CYBER hood, Gunmetal Motegi Racing SP5 wheels, Tint, Dropzone springs, Angel eyes, Red out's, Ark short antenna, 2 seater conversion

#21 Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM
NewTiburon.com God

heratik is a glorious beacon of lightheratik is a glorious beacon of lightheratik is a glorious beacon of lightheratik is a glorious beacon of lightheratik is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Scott is a flighty b@stard. lol! His headers are OBX.

Hello, my name is heratik and I'm a recovering boost addict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.