Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Seafoam = 6 CEL?

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  macsta187 
#1 ·
It's been a LONG time since I've posted, but I have run into an issue that I am unable to solve at this moment. Here is my issue:

- SSA Headers gave me 2 CEL.
- Swapped it out to stock exhaust manifolds. -> P0133 (B1S1 Slow Response)
- Stripped 2 bolts (1 in front, 1 in rear) so bolted it on with 1 missing on each side.
(2 days later)
- Added injector cleaner into gas and used seafoam. 2/3 of small can.
- Car felt like it was stuttering and shaky.
- Turned off car when most of smoke dissipated and checked for CODES.

Current Code: NONE
Pending Code:

1. P0133 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
  2. P0301 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
  3. P0303 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
  4. P0305 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
  5. P0300 O2S Ckt Malfunction 1/1
Also, towards the end of getting all the smoke out, I noticed that smoke was also coming out of the engine bay. It wasn't burning anything (that I could tell) and it seemed to be coming out from below the catalytic converter. Perhaps a blown out gasket?

But now, my car idles funny, then okay, then funny, etc.
Any ideas or tips or whatever would be great, and I would be wholeheartedly grateful.

(Also need to get this done ASAP as I have to go to court to show I got my inspection done by the 13th. Murphy's Law? I pray to God it's not THAT!)

See less See more
#3 ·
I would try clearing the codes and seeing if they come back since none are active. If this issue isn't fixed by friday I can look at it for you when you come down here, I have a solus to hook up to it and see exactly whats going on and a spark tester to try and see if there is anything misfiring. Your exhaust leak sounds like one of your Y pipe gaskets. How many miles have you run since you seafoamed it?

#5 ·
approximately 1/8 of a mile or less. The misfire started towards the end of the seafoam process when most of the smoke was gone...
And to think that I have a 550 mile drive ahead of me in 12 days or so. fack.

#4 ·
Yes, but the injector was put in minutes before the seafoam process. It's not like it will mix thoroughly and start cleaning immediately. Also, the gas tank was approximately 95% full.
As for the exhaust manifold issue, I may have to take it to the shop.

#9 ·
The funny thing is today, I was supposed to meet a friend for a bit of coffee and to talk. Suddenly I get a call saying her car won't start. So another friend picks me up and I go to check out her car. Her 06 Audi A4 2.0T will crank once and then sound some loud metal noise. Self-check system says Coolant issue and Low oil pressure. Battery's fine but it just won't start. Then the friend who picked me up says that her car also has been sounding louder than usual. So, the three of us are all suddenly having car issues.
What a day.

As for the plugs, I'll go check them out and will post some pix tomorrow morning. Also funny how it's gotta be the one in the back where I have to take the manifold off, eh? ㅠ.ㅠ

#10 · (Edited)
Check your rear fuel injector harness, could be exhaust or intake leak.

Reactions: Will51
#16 ·
the injector cleaner went in first. then seafoam through the line that goes to the brake booster.
after that, i had a bit left and just dumped it into the gas tank.

here are the pictures and a video (just sound) of what my car sounds like.
sorry about the huge, yet blurry pictures. BB camera in the sun causes havoc on its auto-focus, apparently.

the plugs are wet at the tips. black liquid of sorts. does that mean fouled? these plugs were taken from the cylinder 2,4,6 even though I had gotten the codes for cylinder 1,3,5.

[ame=http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/macsta187/?action=view&current=VID00000-20100510-1458.flv]
[/ame]

#19 ·
the smoke coming from the engin bay could have been an exahust leak, this can cause the O2 sensors to read wrong and will cause the car to run like crap....
fix the exhaust leak and install new plugs, it's proly time for new plugs anyways... most people leave them too long....

#23 · (Edited)
Clean your spark plugs - small dish of gasoline and wire brush , or brake cleaner and wire brush (use wire blush, soak tip in the cleaner/ gasoline for some time, use wire brush againe, spray cleaner to wash off any loose grime)
http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/images/brush_ht1091.jpg

when you seafom your engine you will usually get misfire codes
You have to drive your car around for some time, push it hard.
According you this image you are babying your engine too much ...lol

#24 ·
Almost all of the misfiring is gone now. There are some carbon accumulated at the base of the threading, but the tip is mostly clear.

Now, another problem has occurred. My friend and I are thinking bad alternator.
Past couple days, the car would crank slowly. instead of hearing the starter motor in quick successions, it sounds long. And this evening, as I was trying to get my drive cycle done, my headlight started flickering. then the ABS and TPMS lights started coming on then off. I pulled over into a small, quiet street, but the the lights would still turn on and off.
So, I turned off the car and when I tried to turn it back on, no crank. no sound whatsoever.
lights, blinkers, dome light all worked, but radio didn't.
Friend brought jumper cables, connected both cars, and waited roughly 10 minutes while he revved his engine.
Car finally started and I brought it home, but as soon as I turned it off, it would not start.

Lastly, today, i kept hearing his quiet, but distinctive whine coming from the bottom of the passenger side foot rest. Also the location of the alternator.

What is your verdict or opinion?
Parents said to have it towed to a shop even though I can fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.