Check engine light came on after cold air intake was put on - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bones247 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Check engine light came on after cold air intake was put on

I put a spectre cold air intake that was made for my car the other day and I reset my ecu and already went 100miles. As soon as that happened the check engine light came ok and now I'm worried. What happened?! I need to get this problem fixed ASAP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Soon to be Racing cat into a Borla muffler exhaust - Drag DR-35 with 215/45 17R Venzia Crusader Tires - 10" Striker 900w sub powered by a 1000w amp - LED blue footwell lights. Ebay racing headers. LED underglow kit with a flip switch. Iphone docking station. More to come and up for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2012, 12:42 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all
Re: Check engine light came on after cold air intake was put on

Pull the code, it's probably just a lean code.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Nov - COTM - Best Regional Tiburon (Canada)

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
#3 Old 01-24-2012, 12:42 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
peachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nice

You never know until you pull the codes, but my guess is one or both banks are running lean. This happens a lot with intakes. Happened to me once with my Injen SRI, but I reset the ECU and it has never come back.

2005 SE V6 6sp SOLD
2006 Pontiac GTO LS2 6-speed
#4 Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

How do I properly reset the ecu?

Soon to be Racing cat into a Borla muffler exhaust - Drag DR-35 with 215/45 17R Venzia Crusader Tires - 10" Striker 900w sub powered by a 1000w amp - LED blue footwell lights. Ebay racing headers. LED underglow kit with a flip switch. Iphone docking station. More to come and up for suggestions.
#5 Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all

Unplug the battery and step on the brakes.

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
#6 Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

The first time I tried to reset the ecu I unplugged the battery for 15min then I tried to start it with the battery unplugged, and then waited 10 more minutes. It ran a bit better then the light came on after 100miles :/ I'll try doin that one in a lil bit

#7 Old 01-24-2012, 01:06 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

diamondstar6892 will become famous soon enoughdiamondstar6892 will become famous soon enough

its not driving different is it? stalling or anything?
#8 Old 01-24-2012, 01:06 PM

Take it easy when you reset the ECU or it will throw the code.

Canada OWNS NT
#9 Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

I was taking it somewhat easy...until I raced my ex gf's element last night....probably why it threw that code :/ damn I'll reset it lol hopefully it will go away. After the first 100miles then I don't have to take it easy?

#10 Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Banned

matt99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your maf, you can reset your ecu all you want but the code will keep appearing if you dont fix the problem.
#11 Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
peachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt99 View Post
Check your maf, you can reset your ecu all you want but the code will keep appearing if you dont fix the problem.
Not necessarily. The time mine came on I was in CA on a trip, reset it there and it came back on, but once I got back home I reset it again and it has never come back since.

But yes check your MAF and connections on the tube pieces etc just to make sure.

2005 SE V6 6sp SOLD
2006 Pontiac GTO LS2 6-speed
#12 Old 01-24-2012, 03:06 PM

Cleaning the MAF could help too.

Canada OWNS NT
#13 Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Banned

Yea I had to do that with mine, used an electronics parts cleaner.
#14 Old 01-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
speedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to all

Is your MAF backwards?

"People should not be afraid of their government. The government should be afraid of their people."
-V-

#15 Old 01-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Banned

If that was the case it would sputter and pretty much be undriveable (I did that once) lol
#16 Old 01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Okay guys I have figured it out. I took my Tib to a Advance auto parts store and they ran a diagnostic on it. It was showing a p1166 and p1167 codes, and both pertain to the MAF. So I popped the hood to discover that I incidentally put the MAF on backwards when I put the intake on, and that was not the only problem. The supplied "claps" I use that lightly only because it didnt do **** towards holding the piping together. SO I bought some new pipe clamps that get a whole hell of a lot tighter than the other one, reset the ecu again, and test fired it. Runs like new. Now just need to get a new fuel pump cause the old one is being gay -_-" anyone know where I can get a new one for cheapish?

#17 Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 PM

Rock Auto sir.

Canada OWNS NT
#18 Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
speedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to allspeedy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessaj View Post
Rock Auto sir.
Bingo. Rock Auto is the ****! lol.

"People should not be afraid of their government. The government should be afraid of their people."
-V-

#19 Old 01-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

remember they have 5% coupons all over the web.
#20 Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

spitfiredan

dont do anything mentioned above if you have an 07-08.....thats just how it is theres nothing wrong with your car other than the fact they decided to put a touchy ECU in them

run it and a month before you have safety and emissions but your CAI filter on the end of your stock little 8 inch rubber pipe and the CEL will go away....then after put it back on.

--------------------Murk'd-------------------

Last edited by spitfiredan; 01-24-2012 at 08:16 PM.
#21 Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Well it was a bit odd when I started it up after I left work tonight (rpms surging up and down between 1500-2300) but after it was warmed up it was okay....had to dodge water puddles omw home hahaha

#22 Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

spitfiredan

ya get a hydro shield.....i just took mine off cuz snow in utah but your engine needs to get use to the new air flow cel "might" go away after a few hundred miles but dont count on it....the CEL isnt a horrible thing but its a concern because if a different code pops up you wouldnt know so if you have a code reader i would try erasing the code/ checking it weekly or monthly to be on the safe side

--------------------Murk'd-------------------
#23 Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 AM
NewTiburon.com God

05iontib will become famous soon enough

Did u beat ur X's element?

05 GT V6 Silver

#24 Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Hell yea I dd. without even getting completely on the gas to xD

#25 Old 03-03-2012, 02:42 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

redlights bro can only hope to improve

im having the same problem with my tib i read and did everything you guys were saying and my code is still on. I have an 08 tiburon spitfiredan said thats just how those tibs are. But im wondering if there is anything i can do to get rid of it. And if its a problem becuase i dont want my engine to be slowly dying lol, any help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.