LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 129 Old 06-02-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hurdler5280
(Thread Starter)
Exhaust leak in Y pipe

So I have a leak in a flex pipe in my stock y pipe. The braided part of the flex pipe appears to be coming apart from the weld. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to fix this. I guess I could have a straight pipe or another flex pipe welded in. Is there anything I should be looking for in a flex pipe or as long as you get the right size, are they pretty much all good to go?

Parts for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
oni888 has a spectacular aura aboutoni888 has a spectacular aura aboutoni888 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Exhaust leak in Y pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurdler5280 View Post
So I have a leak in a flex pipe in my stock y pipe. The braided part of the flex pipe appears to be coming apart from the weld. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to fix this. I guess I could have a straight pipe or another flex pipe welded in. Is there anything I should be looking for in a flex pipe or as long as you get the right size, are they pretty much all good to go?
you can weld another flex in but unless you get it welded all the way around, it can leak and you will have a CEL. happened to me, Midas could not weld on the very top unless the pipe was removed from the vehicle. the place put that muffler cement on top and once it blew out i had the CEL. ended up replacing the whole pipe.
post #3 of 129 Old 06-02-2014, 10:58 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all

Buy appropriate flex pipe on ebay ($20) and have a shop weld it on ($30), or just buy some headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.

post #4 of 129 Old 06-02-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Hurdler5280
(Thread Starter)

Ya I'm planning on removing it and bringing it somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni888 View Post
you can weld another flex in but unless you get it welded all the way around, it can leak and you will have a CEL. happened to me, Midas could not weld on the very top unless the pipe was removed from the vehicle. the place put that muffler cement on top and once it blew out i had the CEL. ended up replacing the whole pipe.

I think thats more than likely what I will do is just buy the flex pipe on ebay and have it welded. I just wasn't sure if some were made of different materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanes View Post
Buy appropriate flex pipe on ebay ($20) and have a shop weld it on ($30), or just buy some headers

Parts for sale
post #5 of 129 Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
h8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of light

There's two flex joints on the v6 y-pipe; if one is bad the other is probably near the end of it's life as well. You can get a new y-pipe with cat on ebay for like $155 shipped.
post #6 of 129 Old 06-04-2014, 04:20 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
fleetline51

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8isgr8 View Post
There's two flex joints on the v6 y-pipe; if one is bad the other is probably near the end of it's life as well. You can get a new y-pipe with cat on ebay for like $155 shipped.

X-2 ... I am at the same threshold as I type this and will go e-bay aftermarket for what is advertised
as a Guaranteed Exact Fit. At $135.00 plus $25.00 shipping, 5-7 day delivery via UPS Ground, I'll snap it up!

Best Regards,

Tony
post #7 of 129 Old 06-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Question Re: Exhaust leak in Y pipe

Hmmmm..... based on that, I may have to look @ Ebay as well. My wifes Tib has a leak in the larger flexpipe. A local place quoted me ~$150 to pull the pipe & replace the section with a new one. Minor increase for the smaller one if need be.

I could do a new pipe & gaskets (3) for less......... hmmmmm...... does the Ebay pipe have the CAT as well?

Mind sharing a link?

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #8 of 129 Old 06-04-2014, 06:31 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

fleetline51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Hmmmm..... based on that, I may have to look @ Ebay as well. My wifes Tib has a leak in the larger flexpipe. A local place quoted me ~$150 to pull the pipe & replace the section with a new one. Minor increase for the smaller one if need be.

I could do a new pipe & gaskets (3) for less......... hmmmmm...... does the Ebay pipe have the CAT as well?

Mind sharing a link?

Sure, Brother...Gimme' a Bit...In a Mess right now! LOL

(ps...Assembly complete with cat.)

Best Regards,

Tony
post #9 of 129 Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Hurdler5280
(Thread Starter)

Ya I was planning on replacing the smaller one as well.

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-20...42ef0c&vxp=mtr

Quote:

Mind sharing a link?

Parts for sale
post #10 of 129 Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Still the same me...

Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Hmmm.... 14ga aluminum tubing & body, not sure how that holds up to pre-CAT exhaust heat. The OEM one is steel.

Cheap enough though....

My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #11 of 129 Old 06-04-2014, 10:36 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

fleetline51

Charlie...Where did You get that "Aluminum Tubing and Body " Info from? I do not see that .

Best Regards,

Tony
post #12 of 129 Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 PM
NewTiburon.com God

h8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurdler5280 View Post
Ya I was planning on replacing the smaller one as well.

Man, that thing is ugly... lol. That's not the one I originally found on ebay, this one is...

post #13 of 129 Old 06-05-2014, 06:23 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

fleetline51

Quote:
Man, that thing is ugly... lol. That's not the one I originally found on ebay, this one is...

Yup...That's the one.

Best Regards,

Tony
post #14 of 129 Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Still the same me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetline51 View Post
Charlie...Where did You get that "Aluminum Tubing and Body " Info from? I do not see that .

Best Regards,

Tony
About 1/2 way down the page, they have a full description.

post #15 of 129 Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Still the same me...

Quote:

Quote:
Yup...That's the one.

Best Regards,

Tony
Did either of you buy the linked one? Looks sorta crappy at the "Y", but it's cheap enough.

post #16 of 129 Old 06-06-2014, 09:59 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Did either of you buy the linked one? Looks sorta crappy at the "Y", but it's cheap enough.
Na, I can probably get another year or two out of mine. I did notice that though. I guess looks don't really matter if it holds together and for the price you can't really expect much more than you see there.
post #17 of 129 Old 06-06-2014, 04:50 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

fleetline51

Jus' bothers me...Why does it say-"Location,rear" ? We all know that this is the FRONT exhaust section coming from ...Well...The Front!

Need some clarification here! LOL

Tony
post #18 of 129 Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Jus' bothers me...Why does it say-"Location,rear" ? We all know that this is the FRONT exhaust section coming from ...Well...The Front!
pre-cat / secondary cat
front cat / rear cat
tomato / potato
post #19 of 129 Old 06-06-2014, 05:20 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

fleetline51

Yeah...

Anyone else care to chime in?

Best Regards,

Tony
post #20 of 129 Old 06-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Still the same me...

I have to agree, yes it's the "rear" relative to the 2 main CAT's, but it's more towards the front of the car.

The picture looks correct though.

post #21 of 129 Old 06-06-2014, 10:02 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

fleetline51

Now THAT'S what I'm Talkin' about!

Thank you Charlie for bein' Definitive! LOL

Hey, aren't you preparin' for a GTG tomorrow? Hope all works out well...Weather should be in your favor...

Some pics should tell the tale!

Thanks Again for the Come-Back, Brother!

Best Regards,

Tony
post #22 of 129 Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Hurdler5280
(Thread Starter)

So my Dad happened to see a flex pipe at advance that slides over the stock exhaust. The old flex pipe is cut out and you slide the new flex pipe over the exhaust and then put a clamp over either side. Anyone have any experience with the quality of these?

Parts for sale
post #23 of 129 Old 06-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Still the same me...

@fleetline51..... do you have the name of the vendor? Your Ebay link is now dead.

post #24 of 129 Old 06-27-2014, 01:40 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

fleetline51

Quote:
@fleetline51..... do you have the name of the vendor? Your Ebay link is now dead.

2003 2004 2005 Tiburon 2.7L V6 catalytic converter rear w/flex DIRECT FIT
See original listing
2003-2004-2005-Tiburon-2-7L-V6-catalytic-converter-rear-w-flex-DIRECT-FIT
Item Sold
Item condition:
New
Ended:
Jun 19, 2014 13:40:15 PDT
Price:
US $135.00
[
10 sold
]
Shipping:
$25.00 Standard Shipping
Item location:
North York, Ontario, Canada
Seller:
exhaustdealz (4649 )
|
Seller's other items

Sorry for the delay , Charlie...Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Tony
post #25 of 129 Old 06-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Still the same me...

Great, thanks.....

So, we're looking for these guys.... exhaustdealz

Did you get yours yet? If so, how does it look?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
exhaust leak, leak, rear cat, y pipe, y-pipe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.