Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

SRI Noise?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Charlie-III 
#1 ·
So I just installed an injen short ram intake and i noticed that when i blip the throttle i hear a distinct click noise. It only happens if I blip it though, not if I slowly accelerate. Is this normal? Is it just the sound of the air rushing in quickly? No CEL or anything just this noise.

#2 ·
I don't think its normal. Normal is hearing the sucking noise from the SRI. Can you find out where the sound is coming from by having the hood open and someone to push the accelerator? I'm guessing throttle body... but I'm looking forward to Charlie's take on it.

#3 ·
Hmm I can't say I get a distinct click sound when tapping the throttle. I do have an Injen SRI too. However it would make somewhat of a noticeable gust through a hollow tin sort of sound when throttled as such. Nothing concerning or out of ordinary I would think.

But it never clicked.

#4 ·
Get under the hood and blip the throttle so you can try and see where it's coming from (push the "bracket" where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body). Doesn't sound normal though--did you install the bolt to hold the intake down and everything? Could be hitting something if not.

#5 ·
The sound is not really a click, I phrased that poorly. Its a bit hard to explain the sound so I took a video. The sound I'm talking about happens on the second two revs, not the first. I never heard that sound with the stock intake, not even with the pedal to the floor. I'm starting to think its just normal induction noise with the new intake, but I want to be sure.

Video:

#10 ·
I get that sound too. Everything seems to be in order.

#12 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. I figured that's what it was but you never know.

On an unrelated note, I'm having an issue where my gears sometimes get stuck in place. I'll try to shift out of a gear and, with the clutch fully depressed, I won't be able to take it out. It feels the way it feels if you tried to pull it out if gear without pushing the clutch. This usually only happens when I'm downshifting (it has never happened while upshifting) and only happens randomly as far as I can tell. I don't know if I should start a new thread or if this post is fine, but thanks anyway.

#13 ·
As stated, it's just intake noise. How it all fits together may make a slight difference in sound, basically trying to have it all aligned and tubing seated in the couplers.

As to the trans issue, really sounds like it's the clutch not releasing all the way, but it should be an issue regardless of upshifting or downshifting unless you handle revs a bit different.

You could try bleeding the clutch line (going to a SS line 1st is a good idea) and doing the slave mod, then doing the fluid flush/bleeding.

I would also pay attention to what you do with rev's and how fast you up/down shift to see if you're doing something different between the two.

PS, keeping it in this thread is fine by me.......

#15 ·
Should be OK for now, but really observe what you're doing to see if it's a "method issue" or a "mechanical issue".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.