How many people on this forum converted their Tiburon to single-mass flywheel? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HyundaiCoupe2.7V6 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
How many people on this forum converted their Tiburon to single-mass flywheel?

I am curious, how many of you converted or at least tried to drive with single-mass flywheel instead of the double-mass and with what results?
I can tell you I did and honestly I had mixed feelings about it. However, it is very important to point out that I just drove a bit with it and at the time my timing was two teeth forward and 1 backwards on crankshaft (because of a bearing which was tried to be locked to the pressure plate in lets say an idiotic way). Anyways, what I am trying to say is that my opinion can not be really objective because the car had the "check engine" light on, it threw codes for random misfire on different cylinders and a bad crankshaft sensor. After I just connected a brand new sensor, the light went off for a short period of time then it illuminated again. I knew it was not the sensor, I thought to myself, how strange all this is happening after a clutch replacement. I immediately suspected timing is probably off and yes it was as I mentioned.

So yeah I felt the car was more rough and shaky when changing gears, especially from 1st to 2nd. I can not say that it was the same smooth ride as with the double-mass flywheel. However, driving with 3 teeth off can be rough with any flywheell So I do not really know what was for you guys? I am interested. Cheers
08TiburonSE likes this.

"A vehicle will serve you as well as the care that has been granted to it".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 12:06 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
Re: How many people on this forum converted their Tiburon to single-mass flywheel?

I did the conversion mainly because a I got a full clutch kit that came with it. My seems to run and drive just fine. I do like the piece of mind that when I'm driving hard that I don't have to worry about an old DM flywheel grenading itself..lol
HyundaiCoupe2.7V6 likes this.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)
Re: How many people on this forum converted their Tiburon to single-mass flywheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
I did the conversion mainly because a I got a full clutch kit that came with it. My seems to run and drive just fine. I do like the piece of mind that when I'm driving hard that I don't have to worry about an old DM flywheel grenading itself..lol
Man you are so right! I have thought about this s..t many times, it is scary because the results are often deadly. It can make you literally part of the car, god forbid. So maybe the problem with me was more with the timing than the flywheel. The one I had installed was light-weight flywheel and let me tell you at 2000 RPM on a high gear the growl was unbearable really messed up and I could hear it coming from the flywheel. Did you use Valeo sinlge-mass kit or some other?

post #4 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
08TiburonSE is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

I'm of the understanding that having a single-mass flywheel instead of the dual-mass will cause more noise coming from the clutch. I'm also of the understanding that a single-mass flywheel is preferable for racing and performance.
post #5 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

But is it totally safe for the crankshaft and gearbox (especially 6 speed one)?

post #6 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 01:25 PM

dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

I've had no issues with excess noise, vibration or harshness. I bought a Valeo OEM clutchkit from eBay that came with a SM flywheel. Its been awesome and is holding 6.5psi no problem.

Its all in how you break it in!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
I've had no issues with excess noise, vibration or harshness. I bought a Valeo OEM clutchkit from eBay that came with a SM flywheel. Its been awesome and is holding 6.5psi no problem.

Wow this sounds awesome, so you do not hear more noise from the gearbox than with the double-mass one? Is there any chatter from the transmission when the car is idling in neutral?

post #8 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TiburonSE View Post
I'm of the understanding that having a single-mass flywheel instead of the dual-mass will cause more noise coming from the clutch. I'm also of the understanding that a single-mass flywheel is preferable for racing and performance.
Shouldn't if you get a sprung clutch/friction plate.
Lighter flywheel allows for faster rev changes, this can be good or bad. Good for acceleration, bad for creeping along in heavy traffic.
In my Subaru, I went from a solid 22lb flywheel to a solid 13lb flywheel and a higher torque rated clutch.
Took part of a day to get used to a low clutch engagement point and half the flywheel mass. After that, I loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyundaiCoupe2.7V6 View Post
But is it totally safe for the crankshaft and gearbox (especially 6 speed one)?
Yes, no more issues other than clutch dumps which can hurt things even with a dual mass.

Quote:

True dat....

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 188K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #9 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Have you guys also performed the slave cylinder mod, taking out the restrictor valve?

post #10 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Still the same me...

Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Have you guys also performed the slave cylinder mod, taking out the restrictor valve?
Not I, we have owned the car a number of years, it does OK by us. Then again, we don't "race" although we DO drive in a sporty manner.

My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #11 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Not I, we have owned the car a number of years, it does OK by us. Then again, we don't "race" although we DO drive in a sporty manner.
So you have not removed the clutch delay valve in the slave cylinder?

post #12 of 40 Old 02-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Still the same me...

Quote:
So you have not removed the clutch delay valve in the slave cylinder?
No, unless it was done before we owned it but highly unlikely.

post #13 of 40 Old 02-17-2017, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
No, unless it was done before we owned it but highly unlikely.
So even with the restrictor valve in there, you have not noticed any excessive wear of the clutch? I guess you own the car for quite some time now, so this should be apperant. Moreover, are you with double-mass flyhweel and the restrictor valve in place?

post #14 of 40 Old 02-17-2017, 07:27 AM
Still the same me...

Quote:
So even with the restrictor valve in there, you have not noticed any excessive wear of the clutch? I guess you own the car for quite some time now, so this should be apperant. Moreover, are you with double-mass flyhweel and the restrictor valve in place?
I have no clue what clutch or flywheel we have. Due to mileage, I have to assume it was replaced at some point. Looking to see if I can get a small video camera in there to look.

post #15 of 40 Old 02-17-2017, 09:08 AM

The restrictor valve was Hyundai's attempt at making a manual transmission newbie friendly. lol. It works find for 99% of the drivers out there as it slows down the engage and release action making things smoother at the expense of clutch life.

For the 1% of us that actually track cars action directly related to the movement of our feet is more important so removing the restrictor greatly helps with that.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #16 of 40 Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
AfterGlow93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

As it's my daily car to drive and go to work, with lot of traffic on mornings, i prefer keeping the DM Flywheel.

I tried one SM Flywheel, when i changed the engine, that was mounted on the used engine i bought, and it was horrible !
The car struggles a bit when releasing the clutch pedal, like an old diesel, and vibrates on traffic when just releasing the pedal without throttle.

With DM it's night and day, more comfortable, no more vibrations and smoother gear change.

As i only drive sporty sometimes, no need to change it. But if you do some performance mods on, need to change it ASAP

For the clutch delay valve, seems to be a "mind mod" better than a real mod.
I felt nothing on my previous cylinder, when i replaced it, i kept the valve on, it has nothing to do better than without it

Last edited by AfterGlow93; 02-17-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #17 of 40 Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

See what I am experiencing sometimes without the slave cylinder delay valve is that at certain times I can hear a click sound from the flywheel. It can be heard only when for example I change gear and release the clutch pedal at this very exact moment when the bite point of the clutch come I can sometimes hear the flywheel make a click sound. It is weird the least but I have somehow got used to it. I believe it may be due to the missing slave cylinder delay valve but who knows.

post #18 of 40 Old 02-17-2017, 12:00 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

AfterGlow93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Quote:
See what I am experiencing sometimes without the slave cylinder delay valve is that at certain times I can hear a click sound from the flywheel. It can be heard only when for example I change gear and release the clutch pedal at this very exact moment when the bite point of the clutch come I can sometimes hear the flywheel make a click sound. It is weird the least but I have somehow got used to it. I believe it may be due to the missing slave cylinder delay valve but who knows.
Yea, i know what you mean, mine does exactely the same.
Is not loud but you can hear it, it sounds like if someone hit with a hammer on the gearbox.

It's more like a "Clogg" sound, weird.
You can recur the same sound by moving with the hand the connecting rod pushing it and pulling it, between the slave cylinder and the release clutch axle on the gearbox.

It's moves freely like 2mm and does this "clog".
In my opinion, this is normal
post #19 of 40 Old 02-17-2017, 01:18 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

The_Evenger
Garage

I don't have the delay valve, the previous owner removed it before me. I have no idea what clutch/flywheel is in mine, but I suspect it's a DM flywheel from all the chatter at idle. I don't ever hear a "click" sound other than at idle, but I do sometimes hear a "CLOGG" while changing gears right after a cold start. After a few gear changes it goes away, but it's definitely audible and you can feel it too.

my clutch/flywheel doesn't slip, but it does feel a bit shady at times, so I might change it this summer with a SM flywheel if I have time.

When you buy a car on the very edge of being salvage
2006 Tiburon GS WN | no big mods(sold)
2007 Tiburon SE BV | recovering(
)

post #20 of 40 Old 02-17-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Evenger View Post
I don't have the delay valve, the previous owner removed it before me. I have no idea what clutch/flywheel is in mine, but I suspect it's a DM flywheel from all the chatter at idle. I don't ever hear a "click" sound other than at idle, but I do sometimes hear a "CLOGG" while changing gears right after a cold start. After a few gear changes it goes away, but it's definitely audible and you can feel it too.

my clutch/flywheel doesn't slip, but it does feel a bit shady at times, so I might change it this summer with a SM flywheel if I have time.
To be honest I think that you may get a louder chatter at idle with the single-mass flywheel and I will tell you why. When I had my lightweight flywheel single-mass one the chatter at idle from the flywheel was quite noticeable. I must say that in this respect the double-mass flywheel is completely quiet at idle compared to the lightweight single mass one. However, if you choose the Valeo single-mass conversion kit you may not have any chatter at idle, since the Valeo single-mass flywheel is not a lightweight one and thus it should not chatter, at least not so much. This is why I asked people here who have done the Valeo conversion to single-mass flywheel about vibrations, idle chatter or any harshness of the car whether idling or accelerating. I am interested what these people think compared to the double-mass flywheel. Cheers!

post #21 of 40 Old 02-17-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterGlow93 View Post
Yea, i know what you mean, mine does exactely the same.
Is not loud but you can hear it, it sounds like if someone hit with a hammer on the gearbox.

It's more like a "Clogg" sound, weird.
You can recur the same sound by moving with the hand the connecting rod pushing it and pulling it, between the slave cylinder and the release clutch axle on the gearbox.

It's moves freely like 2mm and does this "clog".
In my opinion, this is normal
To be honest it makes me feel a bit better that I am not the only one hearing stuff
I guess it is normal since you hear it too.
I think this is part of the job of the slave cylinder restrictor valve, to basically protect your flywheel from excessive harsh engagements at the price of sacrificing the life of the clutch disc. This is exactly what my friend (the very experienced mechanic who maintains my car) explained also to me about the slave cylinder delay valve. However, for sporty driving it is way better without the valve I must agree
Have you ever felt your clutch pedal clicking? I have this clicking from time to time, it is not all the time but it happens.
When I press the clutch pedal and around the middle while pressing I can feel a click under my foot while applying pressure.
It is really weird and I thought a couple of times whether having the slave cylinder delay valve in place would prevent this from happening?

Last edited by HyundaiCoupe2.7V6; 02-17-2017 at 03:49 PM.
post #22 of 40 Old 02-17-2017, 07:12 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

The_Evenger
Garage

Quote:
...When I press the clutch pedal and around the middle while pressing I can feel a click under my foot while applying pressure....
I've felt this too, if you stick your head down under the dash, there's actually a weird big spiral spring connected to the clutch pedal, which I suspect is the cause of it.

When you buy a car on the very edge of being salvage
2006 Tiburon GS WN | no big mods(sold)
2007 Tiburon SE BV | recovering(
)

Last edited by The_Evenger; 02-17-2017 at 08:38 PM.
post #23 of 40 Old 02-18-2017, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Evenger View Post
I've felt this too, if you stick your head down under the dash, there's actually a weird big spiral spring connected to the clutch pedal, which I suspect is the cause of it.
Do you think it needs to be greased or it is faulty and has to be replaced? This I would not consider normal to be honest. What do you think?

post #24 of 40 Old 02-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Still the same me...

Quote:

I think this is part of the job of the slave cylinder restrictor valve, to basically protect your flywheel from excessive harsh engagements at the price of sacrificing the life of the clutch disc. This is exactly what my friend (the very experienced mechanic who maintains my car) explained also to me about the slave cylinder delay valve. However, for sporty driving it is way better without the valve I must agree
Have you ever felt your clutch pedal clicking?
I highly doubt the delay valve is to protect the flywheel, I would consider it protecting the transmission and axles more likely. Since it slows the clutch engagement, it keeps you from doing accidental or intentional clutch dumps which can shock the drivetrain.

As to the clicking by the pedal, maybe get your head down there and press the pedal by hand and maybe you can tell where the sound is coming from.
Could be a pedal pivot, linkage, cracked firewall, etc.some newer Subaru's are having the clutch pedal mount cracking the spot welds on the firewall.

post #25 of 40 Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
I highly doubt the delay valve is to protect the flywheel, I would consider it protecting the transmission and axles more likely. Since it slows the clutch engagement, it keeps you from doing accidental or intentional clutch dumps which can shock the drivetrain.

As to the clicking by the pedal, maybe get your head down there and press the pedal by hand and maybe you can tell where the sound is coming from.
Could be a pedal pivot, linkage, cracked firewall, etc.some newer Subaru's are having the clutch pedal mount cracking the spot welds on the firewall.
I believe that if cracking of spot welds on the firewall was to occur then clicking would be constant. In my case at least clicking ain't constant but intermittent. Clicking comes and goes. Strange really.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.