Unicorns are real...DC Sports Stainless Steel Headers! - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 03-09-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tatsu333
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking Unicorns are real...DC Sports Stainless Steel Headers!

In the 10 years+ I've owned my Tiburon, the only DC Sports Headers I've ever seen for sale anywhere, or even seen a part # for on the DC Sports website are the HHR4501, ceramic-coated mild-steel ones. I've owned those for several years, and recently needed to do some work on the Y-pipe to rectify some crappy work a local shop did welding in my high-flow cat. Of course, you can't order just a Y-pipe, and getting something fabricated locally was going to be too expensive, so I had to order a whole new set of headers.

Off to Amazon I went, and placed my order for a new set of HHR4501's. The day after I placed my order, the vendor contacted me saying "Sorry, the HHR4501's are out of stock. Would you like a set of the polished stainless-steel HSR4501's instead." WTF!?!? These things are like a friggin' unicorn - I don't know of anyone, ever, in the history of me owning this car and being on this board who has ever seen, heard of, or owned a stainless-steel set of DC Sports headers.

I look on DC's website, still the only part number listed is HHR4501. I Google "DC Sports HSR4501" - nothing comes up. I began to think the vendors have just made up this part #, so, I called DC Sports directly and started to explain the situation, and the guy says "Oh, yeah - HSR4501's. I just talked to the vendor. Yes, we have them." Holy cow! I e-mailed the vendor back and said absolutely, please send me the stainless steel ones instead.

I still didn't 100% believe it until today, when I picked them up. They're real all right! These are getting installed sometime over the next couple of weeks, with a new Magnaflow high-flow cat welded in. Have I just missed something - does anybody else have these, or are these the only set known to exist, like I think they are?
Attached Images

2006 Tiburon Tuscani
Super-clean, low-mileage, canyon carver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-10-2017, 05:20 AM
Captain Québec

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
NewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud of
Re: Unicorns are real...DC Sports Stainless Steel Headers!

They might be real but the welding job is pretty crappy haha.

As long as you're happy with it that's all that matters.

Community Voted Best Staff Member Of 2013

2007 GS Sport Charcoal Grey Tiburon -

2002 Stock Elantra - Sold
2008 GS Sport Tidal Wave Blue Tiburon - Actual
post #3 of 36 Old 03-10-2017, 09:08 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

Welding doesn't seem too bad, I've seen tons worse. I personally have never seen those. Nice score!

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat

post #4 of 36 Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
meotjaengi is just really nicemeotjaengi is just really nicemeotjaengi is just really nice

I wish I could see your face the first time you start up the car with those installed! They are going to sound great!

I smell blood...
post #5 of 36 Old 03-13-2017, 09:50 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
KelConquer will become famous soon enoughKelConquer will become famous soon enough
Garage

Yea definitely get a video when it's all on, they look nice!

Be sure you document the install of your Magnaflow catalytic converter via their supplied paperwork. My Magnaflow cat failed after 2 months and they aren't so "customer supportive" once they have your money. Just a heads up.

"Broken things break other things."
post #6 of 36 Old 03-13-2017, 10:13 AM

dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

Ugh, I SO wish I could install headers like those..damn Colorado E Tests!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #7 of 36 Old 03-13-2017, 12:36 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
Ugh, I SO wish I could install headers like those..damn Colorado E Tests!
Not sure about CO, but NJ is every other year inspection, thus I would just swap parts if need be.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #8 of 36 Old 03-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Ours is every year. Too much of a PITA to be swapping back and forth.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #9 of 36 Old 04-06-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Tatsu333
Garage
(Thread Starter)

So...the headers have been swapped, and...my car runs pretty poorly.

The primaries on the stainless headers are larger than those on the ceramic ones, and were different enough that the mechanic who did the swap for me had to modify the shield around the alternator for clearance, where my ceramic headers fit without any modification. I'm beginning to think these really might be a one-off, prototype set that were just sitting around DC Sports' warehouse, and they never produced them due to the fitment issues, among other things.

My car (with a cold air intake, NGM Stage IV upper, and an NGM reflash for I/H/E + Stage IV) used to pull from just about any rpm, but pull hard from around 3,400 rpm-ish right to the raised rev limit at 7300 rpm. Now, it feels weaker in the low-mid-range, only starting to pull hard above 4,000 rpm, occasionally stumbles at part throttle or in transitions from part to full throttle, and won't pull past around 6,900 rpm, feeling almost like it's hitting a rev limiter up there. With the larger primaries, I'm not surprised at the softer low-to-mid-range, but the loss of power up high is strange unless it's running really lean up there now.

Now, this may not be all the headers' fault. I also changed the catalytic converter (though the one I put on should flow better than the one it replaced), and reverted back to a different midpipe (from my giant Magnaflow 6" round muffler to the Flowmaster Hushpower HP-2 shorty / long combo I ran previously to gain back a bit of ground clearance).

The cat has to stay, and I'm hesitant to swap back to the old headers. My plan is to first swap back to the Magnaflow mid-pipe, just in case something has gone wrong inside the HP-2's and they are choking things off up high. If that doesn't resolve the high-end power issue, then I'm going to have to get a wideband O2 sensor kit and figure out what's going on with the AFR. If it reveals some significant fueling/timing issues with the new headers, then I'll either have to swap back to the old headers, look at a piggyback (DET3 or SMT8 ) to adjust fuel and timing, or...?

Any ideas what else could cause a loss of power at very high rpms (within 500 rpm of the rev limit), or any other suggestions from some of the more experienced tuners around here (dmdicks, etc.) would be appreciated!

2006 Tiburon Tuscani

post #10 of 36 Old 04-07-2017, 09:07 AM

Did you reset the ECU before driving?

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #11 of 36 Old 04-07-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Tatsu333
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Yes, the ECU was reset. I initially thought the ECU had been flashed back to stock, or swapped out with a stock ECU because it wouldn't pull to the higher redline, but the mechanic assures me that's not the case.

A couple of other things it occurred to me to check: cruise control and throttle cable adjustment (the mechanic also re-mounted the cruise control module for me to fit properly with the OEM strut bar I recently installed, and adjusted both cables as a result) and TPS cleaning/adjustment.

I'm going to work on those things this weekend along with some other maintenance I'm doing (front brakes), and if that doesn't fix the issue, then I'm going to have the Magnaflow reinstalled next week for further testing. It's not just a simple swap because somewhere along the way with the old headers, one of the shops I had work on the car rotated the flange at the cat so it was level (not angled), so I have to get the flange on that mid-pipe rotated to the proper position and welded back on.

2006 Tiburon Tuscani

post #12 of 36 Old 04-07-2017, 11:59 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
h8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu333 View Post
(the mechanic also re-mounted the cruise control module for me to fit properly with the OEM strut bar I recently installed, and adjusted both cables as a result) and TPS cleaning/adjustment.
The blue one? I have one sitting here I need to put on. Decent build quality for an OEM bar. Never liked the "hinge" style bars.

The TPS can't be cleaned; it's completely sealed. It can't be adjusted either since the bolt holes are circular and not oblong/slots.
post #13 of 36 Old 04-07-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Tatsu333
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Yes, the blue one. It was either that or the DC Sports to clear the Stage-IV intake manifold, and I liked the design of the OEM one better.

Thanks for the heads-up on the TPS. Reading through some other posts, I'm also thinking it could be the MAF going flaky, or maybe dirty - I'll check that this weekend as well.

2006 Tiburon Tuscani

post #14 of 36 Old 04-07-2017, 01:11 PM

So I'm assuming the upper intake manifold was removed then for the install? If a new gasket wasn't used for if the manifold wasn't torqued properly or if the purge valve bracket somehow made it in between the upper and lower manifolds then you could have some serious vac leaks which will cause all sorts of issues.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #15 of 36 Old 04-07-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Tatsu333
Garage
(Thread Starter)

UIM was not removed, as far as I am aware - I can double-check with the mechanic.

2006 Tiburon Tuscani

post #16 of 36 Old 04-07-2017, 02:15 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The-steak is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Not to change the subject at hand.. but does the OEM strut bar work with NGM sniper setups?

NGM stage 3. NGM 460 injectors. DC headers. DC exhaust. AEM CAI. Sarona Body Kit.
post #17 of 36 Old 04-07-2017, 02:48 PM
NewTiburon.com God

h8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-steak View Post
Not to change the subject at hand.. but does the OEM strut bar work with NGM sniper setups?
Not sure, but it looks like the passenger side bracket might come in contact with the pulley.
post #18 of 36 Old 04-07-2017, 07:07 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

joebassman35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are these the ones you got?

https://tuscanicustoms.com/exhaust-s...i-tiburon.html
post #19 of 36 Old 04-07-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Tatsu333
Garage
(Thread Starter)

They certainly look like them! I'm almost certain Tuscani Customs had only the ceramic ones listed a month or two ago (because that was one of the places I shopped)!

Funny - DC still doesn't list the stainless-steel part on their website...

2006 Tiburon Tuscani

post #20 of 36 Old 04-09-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Tatsu333
Garage
(Thread Starter)

OK - cleaned the MAF and the air filter on my AEM cold air intake, and re-adjusted the cruise control and throttle cables (in between replacing my parking brake cables and front XG350 calipers ).

Part-throttle behaviour seems to have cleaned up a bit (whether due to the cleaning and adjustments or just more ECU learning time, I don't know), but it still won't pull to redline and there's still some stumbling/hesitation under load (driving uphill at either part or full throttle) at certain parts of the powerband. The issues at the very top end could still very well be the midpipe choking things off, but from the overall feel of it, and the fact that the issues are happening at varying RPM's and load conditions, my guess is the issue is mostly fueling-related due to the larger header primaries.

I'm for sure going to either switch back to the Magnaflow mid-pipe, or go with another exhaust option I'm investigating. If I put another few hundred into trying to sort out my current exhaust, that's about 25% of the cost of the entirely new system I'm looking at, so I have to think about that.

After that, I'm almost definitely looking at some sort of fuel tuning - at this point, I'm considering either a DET3 piggyback, or a Hydra standalone.

2006 Tiburon Tuscani

post #21 of 36 Old 04-10-2017, 09:22 AM

I forget but have looked at the condition of your crank sensor? A failing crank sensor could cause a lot of the symptoms you describe.
08TiburonSE likes this.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #22 of 36 Old 04-10-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Tatsu333
Garage
(Thread Starter)

I haven't checked that - thanks for the idea! I have some dyno time booked on Wednesday morning to see what the AFR looks like, and to figure out my options from there.

2006 Tiburon Tuscani

post #23 of 36 Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Tatsu333
Garage
(Thread Starter)

I resistance-tested the TPS last night, and found that the pin 1&2 test result was low - around 2.1 kilo-ohms (according to the service manual, this should be in the range of 3.5 - 6.5 kilo-ohms). I've seen a few reports of others here doing the same test and having similarly low results, but the TPS apparently functioning fine. The pin 2&3 test, there's no resistance specified in the manual, but it goes from around 1.1 kilo-ohms to 2.6 kilo-ohms, and changes smoothly and in proportion to the throttle movement.

I'm debating whether to replace it or not at this point, because it seems to be functioning, but failed the pin 1&2 test. The OEM part is $185 from the local dealer, or $100 for a Beck-Arnley part from a local automotive supply store. If I order the OEM part from the US, I've seen prices anywhere from around $25 (for a "Genuine" part) - 55 (from hyundaioemparts.com) US plus shipping.

The part-throttle behaviour continues to smooth out a bit with more driving, but it still won't pull to redline, and still feels a bit weaker than it used to be in the low-to-mid range (2000 - 4000 rpm or so). I'm pretty convinced at this point it's a fuelling issue (running lean in some parts of the powerband, particularly up top). I should find out in about an hour or so, when I get it on the dyno for testing.

2006 Tiburon Tuscani

post #24 of 36 Old 04-12-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Tatsu333
Garage
(Thread Starter)

So, the results are in. "Dangerously lean everywhere" is the verdict. At idle, it's normal, but as soon as you get on the gas, AFR jumps up to 18 - 19:1. The tuner suspects the fuel pump is failing, so I've picked up an aftermarket one and will swap it tonight. Looking at the DIY, it probably makes sense to replace the fuel filters while I'm in there as well, so I'll look at getting those too.

EDIT #1 : And in case anyone is wondering, it made no power without sufficient fuel. I didn't bother keeping the print-out, but it was somewhere around 130 hp to the wheels on the DynoJet. I'll be taking it back to the dyno after replacing the fuel pump and filters to verify the fix and get some real numbers.

EDIT #2 : The filter is only available from the dealership, and they can't get it for me until next week, so it looks like I'm swapping just the pump for now and hoping for the best. The OEM pump from the dealer is just under $300 CDN by the way (my aftermarket pump was $120), or $450 for the full assembly.
08TiburonSE likes this.

2006 Tiburon Tuscani

Last edited by Tatsu333; 04-12-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added more info...
post #25 of 36 Old 04-12-2017, 01:44 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu333 View Post
I'm debating whether to replace it or not at this point, because it seems to be functioning, but failed the pin 1&2 test. The OEM part is $185 from the local dealer, or $100 for a Beck-Arnley part from a local automotive supply store. If I order the OEM part from the US, I've seen prices anywhere from around $25 (for a "Genuine" part) - 55 (from hyundaioemparts.com) US plus shipping.
I hate to keep spamming this every time a V6 TPS comes up, but...

A better TPS?

https://www.amazon.com/OES-Genuine-T.../dp/B0089LYUUI
The-steak likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dc sports headers, stainless steel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.