Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Advices about E85

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dmdicks 
#1 ·
Hi,

I need some advices about driving with E85.
I use it since 30.000kms on an used engine, with stock injectors and Fuel pressure raised to 5 bars.

It ruined my Fuel pump a such pressure and cold starts were very hard (sometimes i needed to turn the key three times)

My STFT was oscillating between +4% to +11% and the LTFT was stuck to +22% with sometimes a CEL with a lean condition code.

I bought a set of 290cc injectors from 3.5 Santa Fe instead of green stock ones that give 190cc.

Now my STFT is oscillating between -3% to +6%, and LTFT is at -10,6% stuck.

No egg odour from exhaust as before, but i feel like a power loss on hard throttle. And i think that's because of the stock open loop that come back and use a 93 octane fuel map.

Is it possible and needed to reflash ECU or put a piggyback or Fuel tuners like APEXI ?

Is there any risk to use E85 on long term, as i never seen a review of using it for a extended period for this car with the G6BA ?

Is there advices about oil, as i ma afraid by those rod bearings ! :frown2:

Thanks a lot

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry just saw this. What did you replace your stock fuel pump with? E85 can be hard on pumps not designed to run it. You need to find a pump rated to handled E85. I recommend the DW65c as its a drop in replacement, but it does require a return type fuel system.

What year is your Tiburon?

Those Fuel Trims are fine for just letting the stock computer manage things. I would recommend you reset the computer so it can advance timing to its max settings. You should be around 40 deg timing at low load cruising and around 24 to 25 degrees at wide open throttle.

To really take advantage of E85 though you need some way to control the injectors and add even more ignition advance. Currently there is no piggyback ECU that can advance timing and only the AEM FIC can take control of the injectors.

#4 ·
I use a Metzger pump that i bought in replacement of original one from a part seller.
The pump is great and it works fine.

A friend of mine, which is a great motor engineer, told me that a a tooth advance on both crankshaft can really improve the use of E85 and he was right.
The car run so much better with crank at TDC and cam marks a tooth at right, giving a lot more power between 3k and 6,2k rpm.

But, i have this whirring noise that makes me mad as i told on an other post

#6 ·
I bought the engine on September 2015, and it was changed 1 week after installing it (waiting for parts).
Mileage was 178.000 kms. The previous belt didn't done this noise, it started after replacing the old one by this one.
Now i have 202.000 kms on it, it's bad if the kit is already dead after only 30.000 kms
It's a Gates PowerGrip Kit with brand new tensioner and idler pulley.
I didn't changed the tensioner as it was very hard to re-mount it, so i think it's doing its job and tighten corretly the belt (maybe a little bit too much)
This belt is reinforced with Kevlar, so maybe it hum a bit because of components used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.