Broke screw that holds rotor to hub, what to do next? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

View Poll Results: how to remove broken screw from rotor
Use Drill Out Product 10 32.26%
Drill Hole Completely out 15 48.39%
Try something else 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Paxfaux is just really nicePaxfaux is just really nicePaxfaux is just really nicePaxfaux is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
Broke screw that holds rotor to hub, what to do next?

OK, the nasty screw that holds the rotor to the hub, you know what i'm talking about.

they came out so easy when i did the rear rotors a few months ago, I was almost looking forward to the front ones. Seemed like fun the last time, not this time.

I was wondering if the tool was working propperly (the impact screwdriver) because the screw would barely budge. I remember the rears comming out in a few hits. I must have hit these over 30 times. and when it finally started to come out, the head broke right off the screw.

So now i'm stuck with three broken screw shafts through the rotor into the hub. The fourth one i haven't f-ed with yet.

Looking for suggestions on how to proceed.

I have a product called Drill out, its basically and easy out. I've used it once before and it worked great, i'm concerned that it won't work here and I'll end up getting the product stuck in there and having a bigger problem.

The only other option I know of is to drill out the hole completely. I'm wondering if that would cause any damage to the hub that would effect the car.

Any one who's done this specifically on the front rotors please speak up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
timmy_mpls
Re: Broke screw that holds rotor to hub, what to do next?

cant you just leave it broken off in there? It wont harm anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- i know my brake light is out -
#3 Old 04-09-2009, 04:46 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Paxfaux is just really nicePaxfaux is just really nicePaxfaux is just really nicePaxfaux is just really nice
(Thread Starter)

At least one still has part of the shaft in the rotor and part in the hub (I think they are all like that actually). That would be fine if I did not want to change the rotors, but I am trying to change the rotors.

I think it would be hard if not impossible to remove the rotors with the screw partially in there. they are hard enough to get out with no screw in there, or am I missing something?
#4 Old 04-09-2009, 04:46 PM

cyl_tib can only hope to improve

i thought the head was broken off? if its not totally gone then drill out the remainder that is holding the rotor on and pull the rotor off. ( or hit it with a big hammer to break it loose from the hub, sometimes they like to fuse them selves) once everthing is off there is no need to reinstall anything in that hole. those screws are only thee to hold the rotor on during manufacturing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cyl_tib; 04-09-2009 at 04:49 PM.
#5 Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

the head is broken off, are there no threads in the rotor?

I'm assuming that part of the screw shaft is still holding onto the threads of the rotor, as well as threads in the hub, making it still fastened together

busting the head off is good enough? I can just continue to remove the rotor?

Last edited by Paxfaux; 04-09-2009 at 05:00 PM.
#6 Old 04-09-2009, 05:16 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

I still have my rear rotors. If i see they have threads in the holes, i wont try pounding the rotor off. If i do see threads, I'll try something else.

Its not the same part but it should give me a good idea if there are threads in the front rotors.

any one with anymore input please post. Anyone who has broken the screw heads off and has gotten the rotors off without drilling the screw shafts out please let me know.
#7 Old 04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Banned Forever

croat croat croat croat croat croat croat croat croat croat croat

I would leave it as I said - its un-needed.

If you want the self tap tool at the hardware is the easiest thing to do. Next - a tap/die set (cheap one from Harbor Freight) is your next best. Drill out the old and re-tap the hole.

Your thinking too much about this ... just leave em out
#8 Old 04-09-2009, 05:34 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

thank you friend, but I'm not sure we are 100% on the same wave-lenght,

the question now is; can the rotor be removed with the screw head off but the screw shaft still in the hole?
#9 Old 04-09-2009, 05:52 PM

timmy_mpls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxfaux View Post
...the question now is; can the rotor be removed with the screw head off but the screw shaft still in the hole?
Only the hub is threaded, not the rotor.

- i know my brake light is out -
#10 Old 04-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Banned Forever

Indeed - the rotor is not threaded so yes you can remove it. The rotor only has a hole drilled which is larger than the bolt (see the image below of my rotors):

#11 Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

TibbyGTv606

a small stick of dynamite should do the trick
#12 Old 04-10-2009, 10:16 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

gt_angel is an unknown quantity at this point

mine did the exact same thing on all four wheels. we ended up taking a cutting wheel and creating a new groove for the impact driver (after the original slots on the screw were mauled) and the heads twisted off. quick smack with a hammer and they were on the ground

Angel better pic coming soon!
#13 Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

your right, the rotors came off really easy. and the one screw i didn't mess with came out extreamly easy. should have let them all soak in the liquid wrench over night.

the one huw that has one screw in and one not, that isn't going to cause a balence issue is it?
#14 Old 04-10-2009, 05:06 PM

tooblue

Just drill it out you don't need it. I drilled all mine out when i changed the rotors.

Now running 2010 Gen coupe Rspec 6speed.
Bye 2004 GTV6 Auto
300whp 280trq

at 11psi

2010 Summer COTS Tuner Class Winner
#15 Old 04-10-2009, 06:03 PM

cyl_tib can only hope to improve

no i doubt it will cause a balance issue. it doesnt weigh that much. it would be like having a stone in your tire.

#16 Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Stitch702 will become famous soon enough

I didn't even bother to put those damn screws back in...the wheel can caliper holds them in just fine

Stage 3 Snipercharged. WTB: Ultra racing crossmember bar

Vegas Kids don't give a fcuk
#17 Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 PM
NewTiburon.com God

BestRedRide will become famous soon enoughBestRedRide will become famous soon enough

At the dealership we usually have to use a torch to heat those suckers so they're glowing just to budge 'em.

You don't need the screws anyway, you'll be fine. If you want, you can always use a common propane torch to heat up the remaining broken screw that's exposed and use vice grips to twist it out out once it's good and hot. If you put in new ones, invest in some anti-seize compound, too.

-BRR

- Alpine Developments(18psi) - Amsoil - AOS - APE - AutoMeter - Bros - BSE - ClutchNet - Compact Divisions - DEI - DuPont - EBC - Eibach - Exos - Fast - Fidanza - GarageGK - GReddy - GT Wing - Halo - IFMAR - Innovate Motorsports - JSpeed - JSP America - KSpec - Magnaflow - M&S Carart - Momo - Optima - Pioneer - Rockford Fosgate - Rota - RRM - SCAD - Sparco - Tomato A&P - Triangle - TurboXS - TWM - Walbro - XO2 Racing - YaYa -
#18 Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 PM

RKivez1

When I replaced my rears, I had to drill out the screws to remove my old junked out ones. There's no need to get another screw to bolt the rotor onto the hub. As long as you properly torque every lug for each wheel, you should be fine.

2004 Silver GT V6 5 Speed
Injen SRI, Slave Cylinder mod, Tuscani "Ts" front and back, TWM STS, 8000K Lows, RRM Front S/C Strut Bar, Seibon T/S CF Hood, 05-06 F/L look COMPLETE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6behindblueeyez View Post
Ever notice how easy it is to turn your car or bike on, but it's a pain in the *** to have to turn your girl on?
#19 Old 04-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Banned Forever

I didn't use never seize on my new ones - I just replaced em with stainless screws
#20 Old 04-11-2009, 02:43 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Newo is just really niceNewo is just really niceNewo is just really nice

i wouldve just drilled right through the middle of the screw. thats what our sheet metal people do when we get a stuck screw on our aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
Indeed - the rotor is not threaded so yes you can remove it. The rotor only has a hole drilled which is larger than the bolt (see the image below of my rotors):

arent you selling those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGresch View Post
promosaywhat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.