Diagram on how to replace a front wheel bearing? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
414Tibby
(Thread Starter)
Diagram on how to replace a front wheel bearing?

Hey, my wheel bearing just shot over the past month and I was wondering if anybody could give me a step by step or a diagram of how to replace the front wheel bearing in a 2006 Tiburon GS? I know the basics hub. dust cover, brake,...etc. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all
Re: Diagram on how to replace a fron wheel bearing?

It's not easy, I highly recommend you go to a shop. The bearing has to be pressed out and new one pressed in. I would rate it a 8 for difficulty. I've done this once, took me a few hours without a press, but I had a huge vice and a diesel shop to do it in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.
#3 Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Will51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another level

Yeah pressed in bearings require a shop to at least press them in or put the bearing in the freezer over night to shrink it a bit if your handy with a wrench.

For quickest response regarding ZMR Mods please email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#4 Old 02-02-2010, 04:54 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all

^^ Yah, you could possibly find a shop to press out the old and in the new one, but you would have to remove the knuckle, hub, or whatever you want to call it first. So would need another car. I think a shop quoted me $130, but I can't remember if that included the part. The front bearing on my 03 was $58 at the dealer.

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.
#5 Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM

414Tibby
(Thread Starter)

thanks guys, yeah i bought the bearing at napa and I am bringing the hub off my tiburon back there, and the guy said he will press it in for me.

Last edited by 414Tibby; 02-03-2010 at 01:27 PM.
#6 Old 02-04-2010, 12:20 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

bill2

Fyi, for any one else looking do their front wheel bearings on their own, most machine shops will do the press work required.
#7 Old 02-04-2010, 05:34 PM

414Tibby
(Thread Starter)

okay, so we removed the wheel hub (with the 5 studs), once it was removed the bearing balls fell out because the bearing was shot. We bought a new bearing from Napa but it seems to big. Its a 2006 tib with abs brakes. Do we have to take off the metal peace behind the wheel hub thats connected to the suspension and abs or is the bearing just too big? Thanks.
#8 Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Will51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another level

pics please, it may be the bearing race already pressed together, need a pic to not screw you up.

For quickest response regarding ZMR Mods please email me at
#9 Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 PM

414Tibby
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by will51 View Post
pics please, it may be the bearing race already pressed together, need a pic to not screw you up.
okay, i will put a pic up tomorrow in the daylight in the afternoon. Its like the part that seems to have the abs wire connected into it. It looks like a dust cover but it came after the wheel hub so it wouldn't make sense. Its also connected to the suspension.
#10 Old 02-09-2010, 02:31 PM

414Tibby
(Thread Starter)

Is there any special bolt or way to remove the knuckle from the lower ball joint? Because we have gotten every thing off except for that. Thanks
#11 Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mr1/2Ass is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Diagram on how to replace a front wheel bearing?

414Tibby,

Hey I had the same problem with the bearings falling out, what I can tell is that it was a set of outer bearings which I am told does not come stock on my car, what did you end up figuring out about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.