Remove hub from axle to get off ball joint? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hurdler5280
(Thread Starter)
Remove hub from axle to get off ball joint?

I'm going to replace my ball joints. When I checked out the clearance to get to the nut holding the ball joint to the hub there is minimal room because of the axle. It appears like Im going to have to remove the hub from the axle. Is this what others have done or am I missing something?

Going back to stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Someone buy my Stage IV, Ark Exhaust, mafterburner, new SFR headers with Jet hot coat and more!!.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of
Re: Remove hub from axle to get off ball joint?

nope i remove mine with a wrench or a pair of adjustable's, once it starts lowering you will have more and more room, if you want to use an impact or socket wrench then yes you will have to remove it. now if the ball joint starts turning then you will have to get some vice grips in there to hold the ball joint while you remove the nut. heat may be necessary.

also just so you know the ball joint is pressed in so you will have to get it pressed out, and the new one pressed in. i tried to find a bolt in one but had no luck, there is a retaining ring under the dust boot that will need to be removed before you press it out

good luck hope it works out well

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
Isnt it amazing how quickly everyone can turn against you

Last edited by lukeman; 02-08-2011 at 11:36 PM.
#3 Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned

dmdicks is just really nicedmdicks is just really nicedmdicks is just really nicedmdicks is just really nice

You only have to unbolt the strut from the hub. That will allow the hub to rotate down and give you enough clearance to get a wrench on there. To remove the ball joint get a ball joint removal tool and it will pop the joint right out. The new ones just slip right in and will get snugged down when you tighten the nut.
#4 Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Shark2005 is a name known to allShark2005 is a name known to allShark2005 is a name known to allShark2005 is a name known to allShark2005 is a name known to allShark2005 is a name known to all

#5 Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Hurdler5280
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the info. Glad to know I don't need to remove the axle from the hub.

Going back to stock
Someone buy my Stage IV, Ark Exhaust, mafterburner, new SFR headers with Jet hot coat and more!!.
#6 Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 PM
NewTiburon.com God

03_tibby_CT has a spectacular aura about03_tibby_CT has a spectacular aura about03_tibby_CT has a spectacular aura about

if you remove the strut from the knuckle (what you've been calling a hub), you will need to realign the vehicle.
#7 Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 PM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of

^ only is he has a camber kit, if its stock then he wont need to realign it

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
Isnt it amazing how quickly everyone can turn against you
#8 Old 03-05-2011, 10:30 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

vrod1123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurdler5280 View Post
I'm going to replace my ball joints. When I checked out the clearance to get to the nut holding the ball joint to the hub there is minimal room because of the axle. It appears like Im going to have to remove the hub from the axle. Is this what others have done or am I missing something?

Did you remove the ball joint directly below the steering knuckle? If so, how? I'm having a tough time trying to get it out. I don't see slip ring or anything I need to remove to make it easier. Although someone did mention a "slip ring".

Every time I try the removal kit (big C-clamp looking), it slips off because the threaded (top) portion of the ball joint keeps pivoting away from the pressure. I also tried a 5lb ledge with no affect.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vic
#9 Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
BramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of light

Take a look at this video. Might give you some ideas.
#10 Old 03-06-2011, 12:06 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

vrod1123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrod1123 View Post
Did you remove the ball joint directly below the steering knuckle? If so, how? I'm having a tough time trying to get it out. I don't see slip ring or anything I need to remove to make it easier. Although someone did mention a "slip ring".

Every time I try the removal kit (big C-clamp looking), it slips off because the threaded (top) portion of the ball joint keeps pivoting away from the pressure. I also tried a 5lb ledge with no affect.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vic
Ok, I figured this out yesterday...
1 - The ball joint removal kit/press I was using did not have the right adapter to clear the threaded bolt just below the steering knuckle. Kit part# is EverTough 67045. Don't use that one, instead find something with more adapters etc... That's why I had such a hard time with it. There are other kits with the correct parts that would work, but Oreilly's (where I went) did not have it available to rent out. I improvised by using a deep socket to make up the space between the ball joint bolt and kit I had. The ball joint eventually popped out as intended. (NOTE: The ball joint directly below the steering knuckle is pressed down for removal and up for install,...unlike some domestic vehicles)

2 - The OEM ball joint did not have a slip ring on it, I checked it thoroughly when I removed it. Just press it through with the kit. You may need a breaker bar to completely get it out the first time.

3 - The replacement non-oem ball joint ($14 at O'reilly's) did come with a slip ring and was very easy to install. You provide your own grease though. (NOTE: go find a good set of slip ring pliers BEFORE you need them!!). The parts stores usually carry cheapos or very little inventory of the good stuff. I bought cheapos ...but they worked, kinda : /

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by vrod1123; 03-06-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.