NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
RetfirDMX has a spectacular aura aboutRetfirDMX has a spectacular aura about
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well... here's an idea.

So I'm sure you all have seen miura's work on the rocket bunny FRS, rx7, 240sx, 180sx, etc.
I'm a big fan of the style, and looking at the lines... I think that same style can be applied to tiburons (if some bodykit manufacturer were to get back into tiburon products). anyways, I've got a photoshop of what I think it would look like, and with few funds of my own, I know I won't be getting anywhere alone. I would, however like to see what people think of the design, and if there's any motivation to group up and start developing a kit as a team. I don't have terribly good solidworks/cad skills but I'm sure that a kit like this can at least be rendered in 3D fairly easily. (and if so, what's to stop a group of people from pooling resources to have molds made? maybe inject much needed new life into our platform?)

it's a rough idea and needs lots of adjustments, but I think there's gotta be a style refresh for tibs to keep up with the times, or people will tend direct their aftermarket product focus to other platforms instead. I will sketch some concept art soon as well.

Edit: first drawing done
J. Buchanan likes this.

Weapon-R | ARK NII | Raceland Coilovers | UltraRacing | FFF badges | DDM HID's | FTKD4LF Carbon Wing | NIA | NRG QR/Wheel/FRP-310 | XXR 527 17x9.75" +25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RetfirDMX; 04-17-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old 04-17-2015, 06:02 PM
3D-Printed Life

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
GK27V6 has much to be proud ofGK27V6 has much to be proud ofGK27V6 has much to be proud ofGK27V6 has much to be proud ofGK27V6 has much to be proud ofGK27V6 has much to be proud ofGK27V6 has much to be proud ofGK27V6 has much to be proud ofGK27V6 has much to be proud ofGK27V6 has much to be proud ofGK27V6 has much to be proud of
Garage
Re: Well... here's an idea.

Hey man, if you're serious about this I can design this in CAD and even print it out (I have access to three printers including mine). No word of a lie I printed out fender flares this week since I will be redoing mine. Doing this type of CAD model though takes time. On a side note, I have graduated to using Catia now instead of Solidworks. Much, much better for working these surfaces applications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GK27V6; 04-17-2015 at 06:04 PM.
post #3 of 94 Old 04-17-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

That would be awesome. I'll get together some more views of the fenders so that you have something to go off of...

i'll probably be revising it a bunch to flow better with NIA parts (thinking maybe have it able to compliment NIA's splitter set and eyelids, flow-wise.)

Weapon-R | ARK NII | Raceland Coilovers | UltraRacing | FFF badges | DDM HID's | FTKD4LF Carbon Wing | NIA | NRG QR/Wheel/FRP-310 | XXR 527 17x9.75" +25

post #4 of 94 Old 04-17-2015, 09:09 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Code Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to behold

To answer your question in the op yes I would do it. I have too much on my plate or I'd make an attempt. The hardest part I believe is going to be able to figure out a design that flows smooth with the gill area. Plus depending on the design you might have to make two versions because the different design in the fl2 model compared to the older models. I like the sketch looks awesome.

I like the liberty walk rear fenders just a little better just my opinion rocket bunny looks more aggressive and liberty walk looks slightly more stream line.

Hyundai it's the Rodney Dangerfield of the automotive world.

Ignorance is curable (with knowledge), stupidity is not.

2011 October

post #5 of 94 Old 04-17-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Sure, i'll go ahead and draw out the FL as well as FL2 together.
give me a weekend to draw em.

screw it i drew some again. yes they are a bit deformed as my drawing in recent times has been focused on cute manga characters. pardon the style bias.

Last edited by RetfirDMX; 04-18-2015 at 06:04 AM.
post #6 of 94 Old 04-29-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

so how should we go about this... cover my tiburon with blue painter's tape, buy pounds and pounds of pottery clay and go to town sculpting it by hand or 3d printing molds and junk? as long as 1 part can be made, i am sure that it can't be that difficult to slather it with mold release to remold it...

This is something i'll be making as a long term goal to complete. hopefully i can get a job where i can just take a bus to work so i can leave the car sitting while i work on this endeavor.

for now, i'd like to team up with any interested party to get two concepts designed and finalized. both CG and concept art. if you want to team up to give input and stuff, PM please. (hopefully physical fabrication can start sometime midsummer)
J. Buchanan likes this.

post #7 of 94 Old 04-29-2015, 04:28 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
j_wilks is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh how i would love to look out and see my tib as a wide body, i would and will support this as best as i can. Although we are quite a trip away from each other...

Black pearl 2007 GS I4 --TOTALLED

post #8 of 94 Old 04-29-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

it'd be great if there was an FL1 tib in my area that would work with me to get the kit made for both FL1 and FL2, since i don't have the money to buy another tibby lol.
i might get a old and ratty econobox to haul stuff around for the project though.

post #9 of 94 Old 04-29-2015, 05:30 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

You know you could always test all this out on the tibs, and then include other cars for a wider market, and keep your prices lower in the beginning, enough to run the production and a little extra cash, allowing yourself to make a decent name. Mean while you could be making drawings and designs for other cars, even higher end cars, to reveal once you have a solid base of customers. Just an idea...

But if you end up making a pretty sweet kit for the FL2 id definitely be interested in buying a kit for mine. And like i said ill try and help out as much as i can. Dont have too much knowledge about this type of stuff, yet that is, and i have some other projects floating in my head, such as trying to teach myself how to code and what not. Highly interested in this all though...glad someone wants to actually try and do something like this.

post #10 of 94 Old 04-29-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

gettign ahead of ourselves here.
let's keep it to the short term vision for now.
I'm sure the kit for FL2 and for FL1 will be largely the same. gotta figure out some way to make the same fenders fit both without looking out of place... it's just the rear bumper to taillight intersection and gill style that i gotta work around.

post #11 of 94 Old 04-29-2015, 11:48 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Code Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to beholdCode Air is a splendid one to behold

OMG......

breeechan and J. Buchanan like this.

2011 October

post #12 of 94 Old 04-29-2015, 11:49 PM
NewTiburon.com God

@GK27V6 get in here NAO!! Help make this happen please!! lol
InspectorPoirot likes this.

2011 October

post #13 of 94 Old 04-29-2015, 11:52 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Took an innovation engineering class that was based around entrepreneurship last semester, sorry about that lol.

And true, you could always do a sort of two or three piece type of fender, im not sure if that would cost more or less in the long run, but that would allow you to make one universal front and rear front section of a fender, and then different rear sections for each version.

post #14 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

since the fender flares are going to overlap the front bumper/front fender junction, the part that attaches to the front bumper and blends it to the fender-mounted section will be different for FL1 and FL2 unless it just happens to match up right perchance.
anyways here's the more refined re-draw. Also came up with two logos.

edit:
did some quick changes in the design to try to make it fit both FL1 and FL2
Cutouts for FL1 and FL2 are virtually the same

and the fenders now have slight overhangs near the back edges for a little bit of aero and more fitting looking flares (overlaid wireframes over cutout lines. black lines are visible edges, grey lines are edges hidden by panel curvature)

the only difference right now that i can think of is the front piece of the front fender flare having a slightly different mating curve with the front bumper of the FL1 than the FL2 the rest seems to be okay as identical.
J. Buchanan likes this.

Last edited by RetfirDMX; 04-30-2015 at 06:00 AM.
post #15 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 11:40 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Woah.... I like it a lot, that looks really really good....

post #16 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 05:24 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

@Code Air just saw your post on instagram and that @TuscaniNation regrammed it. Keeping this post on the front page to keep its exposure up, this has to happen.
J. Buchanan likes this.

post #17 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 05:35 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
maze1291 is a glorious beacon of lightmaze1291 is a glorious beacon of lightmaze1291 is a glorious beacon of lightmaze1291 is a glorious beacon of lightmaze1291 is a glorious beacon of light
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK27V6 View Post
Hey man, if you're serious about this I can design this in CAD and even print it out (I have access to three printers including mine). No word of a lie I printed out fender flares this week since I will be redoing mine. Doing this type of CAD model though takes time. On a side note, I have graduated to using Catia now instead of Solidworks. Much, much better for working these surfaces applications.

If this potentially happens I offer up my car for prototyping!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Breaking things is just an opportunity to make them better.
post #18 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 05:44 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by maze1291 View Post
If this potentially happens I offer up my car for prototyping!
If only i was close enough to help with that

post #19 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

i think first prototype will be with my car, and then i'll make sure to mold 2 sets of rear fenders and two different sets of fronts for FL and FL2 (FL2 first since that's the car i have) i compiled a list of all the things i'd ahve to buy to get the first prototyping done and it actually seems within reason financially.
J. Buchanan likes this.

post #20 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetfirDMX View Post
i think first prototype will be with my car, and then i'll make sure to mold 2 sets of rear fenders and two different sets of fronts for FL and FL2 (FL2 first since that's the car i have) i compiled a list of all the things i'd ahve to buy to get the first prototyping done and it actually seems within reason financially.
What kind of price are you looking at for initial start up and the first couple molds?

post #21 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_wilks View Post
What kind of price are you looking at for initial start up and the first couple molds?
somewhere in the range of 700-800 not including the amount of time i'll have to spend getting both sides exactly symmetrical and misc costs like the foam i'll be using to build mold plug volume, body filler to smooth the mold plug, riveting tools, rivets, and paint.
Code Air likes this.

post #22 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Hmm any idea what kind of price you'd charge us for a set?
Something also tells me from your drawing it wont take you long to get these things looking right when you start making them, seem to have an artistic and keen eye

post #23 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

it'll depend on how much time it takes to produce one, and how much each subsequent set costs to make after tooling... my best guess is in the 450 to 600 range for fiberglass. with UV resistant gelcoat, about 5 times as much if i were to use genuine carbon fiber. about 4 times as much using carbon fiber with black fiberglass.

If i can invest in making multiple molds, i could potentially cut time requirement by 30% resulting in a 15-20% decrease in cost with materials and time factored in.

BY THE WAY: what do you guys think about fenders like these ones i designed when i was... 14.

and made into a 1:28th model as i obviously will never be able to play with bodywork on a real GTR.

think the flow would work for a tib?
J. Buchanan likes this.

Last edited by RetfirDMX; 04-30-2015 at 11:07 PM.
post #24 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 11:01 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

I would say most people would be fine with fiberglass, and you might have a few people request carbon fiber(you could still use the same mold right?). I personally would want fiberglass so i could color match it. But that is not a bad price at all, like i would be all for that.

Depending on how serious you are about this, and when the times come, and beings i cant really do anything to help from here. annnd given funding is adequate for me, i wouldnt be opposed to helping you invest a bit on the startup, in turn being one of the first to get a set

post #25 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_wilks View Post
I would say most people would be fine with fiberglass, and you might have a few people request carbon fiber(you could still use the same mold right?). I personally would want fiberglass so i could color match it. But that is not a bad price at all, like i would be all for that.

Depending on how serious you are about this, and when the times come, and beings i cant really do anything to help from here. annnd given funding is adequate for me, i wouldnt be opposed to helping you invest a bit on the startup, in turn being one of the first to get a set
the the idea is to get this kind of thing launched in a group effort. even if i start dev and prototyping on my own, the overall marketing, product distribution, and manufacturing scaling to give our community something new, something fresh, is going to have to be a group endeavor. and of course investment would justify an early acquirement of the physical product as well as some responsibility to the overall product success.

Last edited by RetfirDMX; 04-30-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in