URGENT HELP! Crankshaft pulley removal - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
mvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation URGENT HELP! Crankshaft pulley removal

As the title says I need your help guys. I'm in the middle of replacing my timing belt/water pump and have come to a screeching halt at my crankshaft pulley. The bolt is off, the first pulley puller I rented was too short (center bolt), and the second one I rented has a center bolt that is too thick. That being said, I have tried pulling like hell but the timing belt sprocket/pulley behind it is coming with it.

If anyone can give me any pointers on what I can possibly use to pry it off or the exact name/part number of a pulley puller that will work and from what retailer (AutoZone/Advanced/etc) I would really appreciate as I have to have my car running by Wednesday.

Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all
Re: URGENT HELP! Crankshaft pulley removal

I think I understand the issue here.

The crankshaft pulley is stuck to the crankshaft cog where the timing belt is, so when you pull on the pulley, it also pulls the cog. Correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Nov - COTM - Best Regional Tiburon (Canada)

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
post #3 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

mvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)

That is correct. I don't think that having the incorrect pulley puller helps that issue either.

post #4 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 PM

Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all

I never used a puller to get my pulley off, I just pulled haha. Even put on my lightweight not too long ago with little effort.

Hm. I don't see too much of a problem with pulling the cog with the pulley. As long as the cams don't move (which they shouldn't, it's not easy to move them) and the engine is at TDC for cylinder 1, I say just pull it as 1 and separate later.

There's a little hole on the crankshaft pulley that an alignment dowel on the cog goes through, but I don't know if you'd be able to push on that to separate them.

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
post #5 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

I would do that but I can't get the "duo" out either. It comes out about half way and then won't budge. lol

post #6 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 PM

Hm. So you get it halfway off and then it stops?

Pull harder?

I think the first time I pulled off the crank pulley, we pulled in all directions (sides, top and bottom) one at a time to kind of wiggle it off. Eventually it loosened just a bit and we kept doing that to get it off. So don't pull straight, go side to side.

Canada OWNS NT
post #7 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Trust me, I've tried everything from different angles to having both hands on the pulley and my feet on the front sub frame which resulted in myself floating in the air, level with the ground. It just doesn't like me.

post #8 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 PM

Only thing I can think of is to use a pry bar, but I'm not sure where you'd get the leverage, and I don't want you to damage the pulley.

Canada OWNS NT
post #9 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, that's my fear too. I'm sure someone has had to of run into this issue and has a quick fix that I have overlooked.

+ rep for helpfulness.

Bump for some more help.

post #10 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 11:57 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
stage2tibby will become famous soon enough

i used a tiny puller from my s/c. find a long bolt and slide it into the hole then put a socket on the bolt head then the center of the puller into the end of the socket lol. i know it sounds ghetto but it goves you more length to get the entire combo off. then flip it over and do the same to the timming gear to get it off the crank pulley
post #11 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Just tried that. It came out further but the timing belt cog and timing belt are still coming with it.

On an even better note, the pulley chipped the hell out of my pulley.

Is it safe to just cut the belt and is it safe to have the timing belt cog come out with the pulley?

Please help people.

post #12 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 01:53 PM

yea its fine take them out together then seperate the 2. its only held on the crank pulley by a little nub. then put the gear back one do the T belt put some anti seize on the nub and slide the crank pulley back on
post #13 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
jmsutphin0001 will become famous soon enough

mine came off with ease.....try putting penetrating oil on the crank pulley to help getting it off

3Tibs so far&still staying strong!AEMcai,DCSportscatback,RPWheaders,HighFlowCat,ARK DTP's,NGMlightwt crank ply/billet alum. motor mnts&NGMCams,AdjustableCamGears,Stage4 LwrIM,ARKpolished pwr steering ply/sts&swaybar,KJBdelrin shifter linkeage&base bushings,horn upgrade,OptimaYellowTop,passenger side cuphldr,dynomat,slave cylinder&coolant bypass mod,jl component spkrs,R1Concepts rotors&G2paint,int.reupholstery,DiodeDynamics led's,tuscani badges.soon:dual clutch,stage4 heads,hydra ems
post #14 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stage2tibby View Post
yea its fine take them out together then seperate the 2. its only held on the crank pulley by a little nub. then put the gear back one do the T belt put some anti seize on the nub and slide the crank pulley back on
If only it would come off now. The tension of the belt keeps pulling it back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsutphin0001 View Post
mine came off with ease.....try putting penetrating oil on the crank pulley to help getting it off
Been PB Blasting the crap out of it.

post #15 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpcougar07 View Post
If only it would come off now. The tension of the belt keeps pulling it back on.

Been PB Blasting the crap out of it.
wtf?? take the belt off lol take the tensioner off the motor and slip it off the cams and timming gear. should have done that first
post #16 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stage2tibby View Post
wtf?? take the belt off lol take the tensioner off the motor and slip it off the cams and timming gear. should have done that first
I'm following two DIY's and neither mentioned things in that order. No matter, I ended up cutting the old timing belt off. The pulley and timing cog came right out, but won't separate. I think I can manage without separating them.

post #17 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
jmsutphin0001 will become famous soon enough

wow...that sucks

3Tibs so far&still staying strong!AEMcai,DCSportscatback,RPWheaders,HighFlowCat,ARK DTP's,NGMlightwt crank ply/billet alum. motor mnts&NGMCams,AdjustableCamGears,Stage4 LwrIM,ARKpolished pwr steering ply/sts&swaybar,KJBdelrin shifter linkeage&base bushings,horn upgrade,OptimaYellowTop,passenger side cuphldr,dynomat,slave cylinder&coolant bypass mod,jl component spkrs,R1Concepts rotors&G2paint,int.reupholstery,DiodeDynamics led's,tuscani badges.soon:dual clutch,stage4 heads,hydra ems
post #18 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpcougar07 View Post
I'm following two DIY's and neither mentioned things in that order. No matter, I ended up cutting the old timing belt off. The pulley and timing cog came right out, but won't separate. I think I can manage without separating them.
Yea, it's entirely possible to do it with cog still attached to the pulley, since you're putting on a new belt, Just put the tensioner on last.

Canada OWNS NT
post #19 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 PM
NewTiburon.com God

fixer is just really nicefixer is just really nicefixer is just really nice

you need to spray it down with a rust penetrant (PB BLASTER) and let it SOAK. you can lightly tap the inside of the pulley parts with a small hammer. you do not want to break anything.

when you get it off, take some scotch bright and clean the inside of the pulley where it meets the bottom timing belt gear.

Hope this helps.

also taking the pulley in your hands and push/pulling side to side...(push in with your left hand while you pull with your right and vise versa) it might help break things up after you spray it.

Platinum Certified Hyundai Tech - since '99
post #20 of 21 Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsutphin0001 View Post
wow...that sucks
Indeed. It made things take much longer than they should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessaj View Post
Yea, it's entirely possible to do it with cog still attached to the pulley, since you're putting on a new belt, Just put the tensioner on last.
I actually had to reinstall things in an uber weird order thanks to the lower timing belt cover. All is well and running great now though. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer View Post
you need to spray it down with a rust penetrant (PB BLASTER) and let it SOAK. you can lightly tap the inside of the pulley parts with a small hammer. you do not want to break anything.

when you get it off, take some scotch bright and clean the inside of the pulley where it meets the bottom timing belt gear.

Hope this helps.

also taking the pulley in your hands and push/pulling side to side...(push in with your left hand while you pull with your right and vise versa) it might help break things up after you spray it.
I ended up leaving it as one piece. Time was low and I was able to reinstall it without too much complication. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Mods can lock if they so please.

post #21 of 21 Old Today, 08:57 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rojamon is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the exact same problem and found an easier way to get the pulley off without having to deal with the timing belt. Use a bearing puller and pull the pulley( with timing gear attached) out enough to get something hard behind the pulley and crankcase(I used a bolt). Then use a punch on the roll pin and hit it firmly with a hammer. It will force the gear back onto the shaft and separate the pulley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in