Turbo Kit build - About damn time!!! - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 07-20-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
lostbuoy will become famous soon enoughlostbuoy will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Turbo Kit build - About damn time!!!

Howdy

Seeing I absolutely LOVE my GK Tib and having been a fan of boost since I learned that more air and fuel made fire BIGGER and that my previous SC GK v6 met an untimely death, the bug that bit was removed but the poison remained in my veins..

So... now the i4 follows the same route of heavy breathing with whistles, pressure releases and fun times..

For this build, all the parts are sourced from various Motorsport suppliers near where i stay and the manifold was built by a well known local fabricator and motor sport garage. Everything else was sourced and put together by myself and built based my own knowledge and input from the good ol' interwebs.

Kit list:
turbo - T3/T4
External 38mm waste-gate wasting to atmosphere
Bosch o2 sensor
255 lph walbro fuel pump
Knock off GReddy dump valve
Aluminium 63mm bends and straights right through
Custom built mild steel manifold
600 x 400 intercooler
Boost/vacuum gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Oil temp gauge
Vacuum manifold
Screw type Boost regulator
440cc Green Giant Injectors
Management system.. Perfect Power Stand alone XMS5B.

For the build, i left the engine dead standard initially. Wastegate stuck closed and boosted 1.6 bar for a split second so i built a new motor with low comp pistons. Injectors upgraded to 440cc Green Giants

Oil feed is off the block where the oil sensor is and oil return is into the block of the engine, not the sump.
Downpipe is a custom 76mm stainless steel pipe as well as the rest of the exhaust. Straight through stainless pipe to dual cat back Grizzly's. No cat, no emissions laws here and what noise laws there are .. well.. there are none that i know of or care for.

So build is complete. Sticking where I am now for a while until the next stage of the build kicks off or until that stage is finished.
Set the boost at around 0.8bar. makes around 280WHP and 268FT LB torque

.Click here for uploaded pics of my cars, mods and upgrades.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Turbo i4 .. Built .. not bought

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lostbuoy; 06-05-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 07-20-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)
Re: Turbo Kit build - About damn time!!!

Dump valve connector

Turbo manifold flanges

38mm external Waste gate

Aluminium bends and other bits

Manifold fabrication start

Manifold fabrication progress

Complete manifold

Manifold bottom

Collector closeup

Manifold fitted to dummy engine with wastegate, turbo and downpipe

380cc Injector

Intercooler
KelConquer likes this.

Last edited by lostbuoy; 07-20-2016 at 03:48 PM.
post #3 of 67 Old 07-20-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

Final pic for now.

Last edited by lostbuoy; 07-25-2016 at 12:16 PM.

post #4 of 67 Old 07-20-2016, 01:40 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

Um...welcome back? lol

You had been doing good till you got to the part of using stock injectors? You do know those are pretty much maxed out N/A? lol. I don't get it...using a standalone with OE injectors?

You taking it to Perfect Power HQ over there for tuning?
lostbuoy likes this.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #5 of 67 Old 07-20-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

LOL.. Howdy again D.

Yip.. that i am.. Straight to Garth and Godfrey. They the ones that suggested keeping the standard injectors and then seeing what it does on the dyno. Sticking at low boost for now. nothing big seeing the internals are stock.
I wll get more feedback from them and explanation on the idea behind the stock injectors.. something about double cycle or something.. i stand corrected.

post #6 of 67 Old 07-20-2016, 02:47 PM

dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

Well from my testing back in the day 2-3psi put the injectors at 100% duty cycle and AFR become unstable. G&G should know better than to overdrive injectors like that..lol

Curious why you went standalone instead of using the SMTFX which can modify the injector pulses like the AEM FIC. Are you running the XMS in conjunction with the OE ECU?

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #7 of 67 Old 07-20-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

I have this thing about standalone, also the XMS5B has function for display .. not sure how far that goes but will do more homework on that later..

as for the injectors.. yeah.. i get what you say about over riding them.. hence the 380cc on the ready if need be.

My V6 had standard injectors with whatever Perfect power did and made good power at 0.9 bar at altitude with no issues until i boost at the coast which was not a good idea and blew 5 of 6 pistons.

So we will see about the standard injectors on the i4 at low boost.. I am pushing to use the 380cc ones but will see.

post #8 of 67 Old 07-20-2016, 03:37 PM

They drive me crazy with all the sh1t they want to try. Main reason I stopped using the PP piggybacks, that and communication was spotty at best.

Did they fab up the mild steel manifold for you?

Hit me up on gmail chat

Last edited by dmdicks; 07-20-2016 at 03:49 PM.
post #9 of 67 Old 07-20-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

The manifold was fabricated by a guy that used be part of a company called Precision Race.. They are very well known here. He was a part owner or something and had a fallout with the other shareholders and so he started his own thing.. the work that i saw in this guys shop was out of this world.. hence i decided to use him. He had the AMG Merc v6 up on the lift busy fabricating a bi turbo with full stainless exhaust system for it.. just wow.. insane work. Almost perfect in every way. That sold me. and cheap.. if I work it back the manifold worked out to around $190 US.

post #10 of 67 Old 07-20-2016, 04:57 PM

FYI, Nissan 350/370/R35 GTR injectors are 100% drop in, no need to use different injector clips..
lostbuoy likes this.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #11 of 67 Old 07-21-2016, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
FYI, Nissan 350/370/R35 GTR injectors are 100% drop in, no need to use different injector clips..
hmm.. good to know. Thanks D.

the availability or sourcing them is a bit of an issue. i will see if i can find some. These guys here want to knock a person close to $80 per injector and thats starting at 500cc.

finding 350z or 370z injectors will be way challenging.. not really many of them on the roads.. not to mention R35's.. lol

will take a look today sometime and get a feel for whats out there.
post #12 of 67 Old 07-21-2016, 07:25 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
BattleChaser
Garage

Quote:
What year Nissan will fit? For a 06V6 and possibly your Fic?

06 Orange Crush SE V6 6-Speed - Ebay CAI - Veloster Base 18" Rims - Mussa Bar - DC Headers - ARK DTS - More to come...
post #13 of 67 Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 AM

Any years of 350/370z injectors work. I believe the 350z one are 320cc and the 370Z are 368cc. The 2008 and up GTR are I think 550cc. Also EVOX and Gen Coupe injectors swap right in.
lostbuoy likes this.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #14 of 67 Old 07-22-2016, 11:21 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Fayze333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Some guy on ebay sells 350z and 370z injectors (TLF Performance). They work perfectly and were plug-n-play. Comes with injector test report and shows static flow, impedence etc. 600cc and 720cc injectors for like $250-$300.
M.Kyle likes this.
post #15 of 67 Old 07-23-2016, 03:51 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
M.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayze333 View Post
Some guy on ebay sells 350z and 370z injectors (TLF Performance). They work perfectly and were plug-n-play. Comes with injector test report and shows static flow, impedence etc. 600cc and 720cc injectors for like $250-$300.
Oh hell yes!

T3/T4OB .63 AR Turbo, 2Step Colder Plugs, 460cc Injectors, Fidanza, SPEC Stg3, Stg4 LIM&UIM, Rear Strut Bar, Rear Sway Bar, HIDs , CCFL AEs, Basstib STS, Raceland Coils, FIC6, Mussa Single Exit, WOT Box, Headers, TWM Bushings, 94a Poly MMs, Rear Battery, AFR, Boost, Oil Press Gauges Next: WMI, More boost,
Cutout Exhaust

Shop manuals

post #16 of 67 Old 07-25-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

Pics updated. all taken with a cell phone so light wasnt good on some.

Car goes in for dyno tomorrow. Will run 0.5/0.6 bar only for now until there is budget to purchase another engine which will be modified with all internals at whatever spec is needed.

I been driving it for the last 2 weeks making sure there are no leaks anywhere, tightening nuts and bolts and getting the last few odds and ends right.

The manifold is pretty close to the bonnet so it started to burn the material on it hence the modified OEM manifold cover. Works perfectly. Also added a heat shield to protect the water pipe that runs along the block in front of the motor.

The heat wrap on the down-pipe is covered in exhaust gum. It gives a really good finish even though it looks like an old plaster cast

The boost pipe running directly from the turbo to the manifold was very close to the down-pipe so I re-positioned that so there is more play and no touching.

All i have left to do is connect the wiring for the gauges and fix up my center console which will house a tablet in place of a radio, but thats another thread.

As far as cost goes - this project if I directly exchange was about $1700 in total. The kit is all brand new apart from the down-pipe which came off an ex Tibby owner locally. Started gathering parts in December last year and started putting the kit together and fitting about a month and a half ago.

In between last year and the kit now, I have modded the bumper which is in this thread https://www.newtiburon.com/forums/ext...ot-bought.html and the next "mod" that I will be doing is the bonnet which will probably come much later.

There are plans for the Tib which i wished I could have completed with my V6 - So this i4 will be the project car of choice for the foreseeable future - so far everything is on track so it will happen no matter how long it takes.

post #17 of 67 Old 07-25-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FYI, Nissan 350/370/R35 GTR injectors are 100% drop in,....
Thanks for the info Dave

I did the homework I said i was going to do.. I found through the agents only.. 370Z injectors the want to rush me around $130 each.. so thats a no go and I dont even want to know what the GTR35 injectors will cost after that.. LOL..

post #18 of 67 Old 07-25-2016, 05:32 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Patricki7
Garage
EVO X injectors are around $120 on eBay and are 550cc
post #19 of 67 Old 07-26-2016, 06:14 AM

Looking good. They going to try to reach .7 bar with the stock injectors?

May want to put a high temp heat shield on that rad hose that is close to your wastegate lol

Also if you can run your turbo intake to the space in front of the tire that would be better as the engine bay is going to get HOT!!
lostbuoy likes this.
post #20 of 67 Old 07-29-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Looking good. They going to try to reach .7 bar with the stock injectors?

Nah.. i highly doubt 0.7 bar. the waste gate spring is rated at 0.5bar about. I did say that i preferred to use the 380cc injectors so will see what Garth comes back with. I have a feeling it will have to go the 380 route.

May want to put a high temp heat shield on that rad hose that is close to your waste gate lol

Covered temporarily already - I ran out of time on the weekend to source a more permanent heat shield of sorts so have covered it with heat wrap for now

Also if you can run your turbo intake to the space in front of the tire that would be better as the engine bay is going to get HOT!!

I was wondering about that. My plan is to possibly fabricate a fibreglass box, heat insulate it and pass air up to the filter inside it. Yet your idea sounds better so I may do just that
At the moment the car is at Perfect Power. Will follow up on Friday for progress. Im in no rush for it.

post #21 of 67 Old 07-29-2016, 01:50 PM

Cool! Eager to see what they can do with a full standalone running things..your lucky you don't have OBD inspections up there!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #22 of 67 Old 07-31-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

Yeah. theyre trying to push for emissions here but its being seen as another tax so there is huge resistance to it.

As for the OBD port on the car... the OBD shows error codes thru software or apps etc. but it doesnt pass real time data ... so im a bit annoyed about that ..

will see on the XMS unit tho.. it has ability to show realtime visuals .. will look into that at a later stage ..
post #23 of 67 Old 07-31-2016, 12:02 PM

Xms uses PP custom display to show sensor data.
lostbuoy likes this.
post #24 of 67 Old 08-01-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

ah.. ok.. will google some.
post #25 of 67 Old 08-08-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

A quick update.

Chatted to the guys at Perfect Power. The motor is pushing close to 170Kw at the crank at 0.3 bar boost. There was mention of needing more fuel but thats where the larger injectors and fuel pump come in - so that should resolve that issue

So basically this currently equates to roughly:
0.3 bar = 4.4 psi
170kw = 226HP

Still have 0.2 or 0.3 bar to go and if we take 20kw per 0.1 bar, it could make close to 200kw (266HP+-) at the crank when complete with the setup i have at say 0.6 bar (8.6PSi +-) which is max i will go at this stage.... safely.

Happy?... yessir I am..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in