Can anyone recommend a header for an '08 i4 2.0L? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-13-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ThatCanadianGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Can anyone recommend a header for an '08 i4 2.0L?

The title says it all. If you've got any recommendations for a header that'll fit a 2008 2.0L i4 Tiburon I'd love to hear them! I'd preferably like to get one that doesn't sound too ricey, I'd prefer a deeper sound.

Also, can anyone tell me if I have to worry about emissions regulations when installing a new header? if so, how can I tell if the header will meet the emissions standards before I buy it and install it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-13-2015, 06:55 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Patricki7
Garage
Re: Can anyone recommend a header for an '08 i4 2.0L?

I have the Megan 4-1 Headers and they sound awesome. Not Ricey. Doesn't really have any drone either. Coupled with my intake it's nice and throaty.

You will have to get the Headers (will say made for 99-01) But it fits just the same, then you will need a mid-pipe for a 2004-2006 because the design was changed on the 07-08.

Now, you will get a CEL. As with ANY headers. The only way around this is to Have someone modify your equipment.

There are two oxygen sensors on your exhaust. The first one is right at the top of the stock exhaust manifold (Pictured above). The second one is underneath the car behind the second catalytic converter on the mid-pipe. The ECU uses both of these to determine the emissions. It looks for changes in the air coming out of the engine from the first sensor to the second sensor. Normally a CAT would cause dramatic changes in the oxygen levels but with a normal header system (such as the megan with the 06 mid-pipe) you are only left with one catalytic converter on the midpipe after the oxygen sensor. In that system there would be no change to the air.

What you COULD do, Get the headers and have a shop fabricate an exhaust system for you between the cat-back and headers. You would need a new cat placed after the first oxygen sensor, then another cat similar to the factory position, followed by the second oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor wires would have to be extended to reach.

Here is my setup. You can see the hole for the oxygen sensor at the bottom of the headers (plugged in this picture). I only have 1 cat, thus I have a CEL.

The factory exhaust manifold has a built-in catalytic converter. You can see it by just looking in your engine bay, the tubes are only a few inches long then go straight into it. By replacing it with headers you are removing the Catalytic converter.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-14-2015, 12:35 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
dominicantibby
Garage

if you want a cheap alternative just buy the box or dan motoring 99-01 headers for under 100 bucks!

post #4 of 8 Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
six40
Garage

If you plan to pass e-test you will need a good cat welded between the primary and secondary o2 sensors, or you'll fail miserably.

08 Evo X GSR
93 Talon TSi AWD
90 Talon TSi AWD
05 Elantra GLS 5-speed
01 CBR600 F4i
post #5 of 8 Old 10-22-2015, 03:05 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
WatAbt_Pat is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricki7 View Post
I have the Megan 4-1 Headers and they sound awesome. Not Ricey. Doesn't really have any drone either. Coupled with my intake it's nice and throaty.

You will have to get the Headers (will say made for 99-01) But it fits just the same, then you will need a mid-pipe for a 2004-2006 because the design was changed on the 07-08.

Now, you will get a CEL. As with ANY headers. The only way around this is to Have someone modify your equipment.

There are two oxygen sensors on your exhaust. The first one is right at the top of the stock exhaust manifold (Pictured above). The second one is underneath the car behind the second catalytic converter on the mid-pipe. The ECU uses both of these to determine the emissions. It looks for changes in the air coming out of the engine from the first sensor to the second sensor. Normally a CAT would cause dramatic changes in the oxygen levels but with a normal header system (such as the megan with the 06 mid-pipe) you are only left with one catalytic converter on the midpipe after the oxygen sensor. In that system there would be no change to the air.

What you COULD do, Get the headers and have a shop fabricate an exhaust system for you between the cat-back and headers. You would need a new cat placed after the first oxygen sensor, then another cat similar to the factory position, followed by the second oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor wires would have to be extended to reach.

Here is my setup. You can see the hole for the oxygen sensor at the bottom of the headers (plugged in this picture). I only have 1 cat, thus I have a CEL.

The factory exhaust manifold has a built-in catalytic converter. You can see it by just looking in your engine bay, the tubes are only a few inches long then go straight into it. By replacing it with headers you are removing the Catalytic converter.
How did you deal with the contact with the oil pan. I'm planning on getting this header as well
post #6 of 8 Old 10-22-2015, 04:21 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Patricki7
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatAbt_Pat View Post
How did you deal with the contact with the oil pan. I'm planning on getting this header as well
Mine didn't touch. I'm not sure why other people's did. It may have something to do with this being an F/L2 and not the F/L
post #7 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 07:25 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
BLU3Fi5H is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I'll revive this old thread for a bit...

'08 i4 2.0L:
Ontario got rid of the emissions testing, so that part wouldn't bother me. I'm just wondering how it would effect performance, fuel economy, or possibly wearing out my only cat, if I put the header on and just ignored the CEL?
Can anyone give feedback based on experience?
post #8 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 02:28 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

The 07-08 ECU's are MUCH more stringent with regards to emissions. If the ECU detects that you no longer have the primary cat installed it will dump extra fuel to try to bring emissions back in line. It will throw a CEL and could eventually trigger limp mode.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2008, header

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in