post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Traumkampfer is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Wink Digital Dash suggestions?

Before I got my Tiburon, I was looking at a 1986 Nissan 300ZX, and loved the all-digital dash cluster it had, so I was wondering if anyone on here had suggestions for converting my 2005 Tibby to an all-digital Dash like the Nissan 300 had. Is it particularly difficult to do? This is my first car and I'm learning as I modify this.

Another side question: Would it be possible/hard to install a voice box into a Tiburon? I quite liked that feature in the 300 as well. (A voice comes on to tell you when doors are open and such)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2017, 09:36 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Heavenswrong is an unknown quantity at this point
I apologize in advance for my apostrophes, they become question marks for some reason. Racepak and Haltech and a handful of other companies make digital clusters. They?re not cheap and you would have to have your harness wired to work with it, which also wouldn?t be cheap. And you might even need a new ecu, but I?m not sure. So, there are options, but you?ll have to decide if it?s worth $1000+.

Last edited by Heavenswrong; 10-05-2017 at 09:47 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2233 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Digital Dash suggestions?

Anything can be done, big questions are:
What will it cost?
Are you doing the work?
Can the car be down while installing?
Is the car worth it?

You might be able to find an OEM cluster that sorta fits, then you need wiring diagrams for your car and the cluster, then figure out what wires need to go where.

For a real DIY, find a display (LED, TFT, OLED) that can fit. Then run a Ardunio or similar to drive the display. Then find all the inputs you want (may need A/D converters for a correct input), program the display, then wire it up.
Keep in mind that a car interior can go from below 0*F to 140*F, possibly beyond the operating range of an off the shelf display.

As to a voice box, same questions apply. Maybe an Ardunio board, wire inputs from key, door switches, etc. Run them into the board, then program it to operate some SS voice chips based on what circuit changes state.

I hated voice alerts, my pet peeve was, "the door is ajar". I would say back, "no it's not, it's a door.....not a jar....!".
The_Evenger likes this.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .

Last edited by Charlie-III; 10-06-2017 at 11:25 AM.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 11:31 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
veaceonee is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Digital Dash suggestions?

Using a display with a raspberry Pi (think OBD-Pi or similar) shouldn't be a total rewire of the dash. Could probably just use the OBD2 connection and feed all the info to the display (not entirely sure if it reads ALL the required info, but should have the basics). A lot of programming to get it how you want, fabrication to mount the display and make it look nice, but wiring should be simple. Voice box that just chimes on sensor inputs should be possible and easy with something like an arduino (once again down to programming). It all boils down to time money and patience.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2019, 12:29 AM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2233 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by veaceonee View Post
Using a display with a raspberry Pi (think OBD-Pi or similar) shouldn't be a total rewire of the dash. Could probably just use the OBD2 connection and feed all the info to the display (not entirely sure if it reads ALL the required info, but should have the basics). A lot of programming to get it how you want, fabrication to mount the display and make it look nice, but wiring should be simple. Voice box that just chimes on sensor inputs should be possible and easy with something like an arduino (once again down to programming). It all boils down to time money and patience.
The OP hasn't been on here since a couple weeks after starting this thread.
BTW, one issue is still the temp range the display may be subject to.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2019, 04:27 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
veaceonee is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry forgot to check the dates....

Displays should be fine in a car as long as they are not in direct sunlight. Just don't go for the cheapest setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in