Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Morimoto XB angel eyes

6K views 57 replies 9 participants last post by  drzoni 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, one of my angel eyes is partially working at the moment.

Emailed TRS this weekend, got a reply yesterday that asked me for a picture, and got nothing since then. They were replying within an hour or so before I bought them; but their warranty support is pretty slow. Hopefully they will send me a replacement without too much problem (and quickly... if i don"t want to wait till summer to install it...)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Angel Eye Sizing for FL2 Headlights

Well, one of my angel eyes is partially working at the moment.

Emailed TRS this weekend, got a reply yesterday that asked me for a picture, and got nothing since then. They were replying within an hour or so before I bought them; but their warranty support is pretty slow. Hopefully they will send me a replacement without too much problem (and quickly... if i don"t want to wait till summer to install it...)
Well, guys beware

DO NOT BUY THE MORIMOTO ANGEL EYES!

3 out of 4 of my angel eyes blew within a year. The XB angel eyes from The Retrofit Source are pretty bad quality. They are not even lasting a year.

#3 ·
When I got my MMXBs from TRS one was only half lit then came back full. Everything was working fine since then. I installed them maybe 2 months ago. However I just noticed yesterday that that one is now out completely. I plan on taking the damn head light back out to test it on a different ballast etc tomorrow. I'll post back with results.

#4 ·

They worked fine for about 6 months. Then I was able to see that some of the LEDs were not as bright as the other and then they are actually like on the picture.

Quality wise, they are pretty bad.

As soon as I have some free time, ill take them off.

#6 · (Edited)

Ahhh, but they looked so gooood, i was just about to go and buy some :(

Anyone know anything about their new XSB halos?
From what I just read, they now have:
1. Mounting points integrated so you don't have to have the picture hanging wire wrap around the front of them.
2. Amber function that ties in with your blinker.
3. Daytime running light option that basically is on until your low beams come on.

1. The mount point is now a little white bump off the sides which IMO is more visible than 1 strand of wire around it.
2. Not sure if I would want them to turn into aux blinkers instead of just constant white rings.
3. Not sure why you would want them to go off with your headlights on.

I hope to find why mine died tomorrow. Since I had half lit to start (as in 12-6 o'clock), then full on, now none, I'm confused where the failure is on these things.
@NewTibOwner2011 's pic shows individual SMDs dead. That's not what I am seeing so more confused as to where/why they're likely to fail.

One more negative to note is that the different sizes appear as different color: whiter with smaller diameter, yellower with larger. This may be due to tighter spacing of the SMDs on smaller diameter rings, but it's annoying nonetheless.

#7 ·

Are the sealed on the back? Im wondering if its just shotty components due to the small size of everything. Excitement was at 110 at the beginning of this thread and then dropped to a well s**t by the end.

I dont think im to keen on the turning off when the lights come on, i could deal with the amber blinker though

#8 · (Edited)

Are the sealed on the back? Im wondering if its just shotty components due to the small size of everything. Excitement was at 110 at the beginning of this thread and then dropped to a well s**t by the end.

I dont think im to keen on the turning off when the lights come on, i could deal with the amber blinker though
They are not sealed, but they go in a sealed enclosure (your headlight itself) so elements should not play a part unless you don't have a good seal when closing up.
The daytime running light and blinker functions are optional. If you just wire it straight up off your running lights, it'll only operate as so.

FWIW, the original XBs are closeout priced at only $25 for the low beams pair (80mm) and $31 for the highs right now. However there's no warranty or returns at that price.

#9 ·

Thats what i was looking at but im a little leery now, i might go for it, beings they lasted a least a year, 60 bucks for that isnt too horrible, not very great either though. really like the "tube" look versus the individual dots...

hmm decisions decisions....

#10 · (Edited)

110 plus shipping and all the trouble it takes to install them is not worth the time they will last.

If I was you I wouldn't buy them.

And mine also were different colors.

This is the biggest product fail I have seen on here.

If I get a refund, I will probably get the SFR angel eyes. They were on my car for a little less than 2 years and they were still looking brand new. I better liked the solid ring of the Morimoto, but the SFR will do the job better than those ****** rings.

#11 ·

110 plus shipping and all the trouble it takes to install them is not worth the time they will last.

If I was you I wouldn't buy them.

And mine also were different colors.

This is the biggest product fail I have seen on here.

If I get a refund, I will probably get the SFR angel eyes. They were on my car for a little less than 2 years and they were still looking brand new. I better liked the solid ring of the Morimoto, but the SFR will do the job better than those ****** rings.
Im in no rush to get them, so i might wait it out a bit and see if anyone posts some reviews on their new sets, and ill look around a bit to see if any other company makes some. Why cant people just make stuff that works??:crying:

#12 ·

And their customer service is pretty bad too... You get a reply within an hour when you show that you are interested in their product, but when it comes to warranty support... They don't even answer.

And their e-mail system sucks too. Everytime you send them an e-mail, your rewiest request goes back to the bottom of their list. So if you are not aware, you will probably wait a lobg long long time beforr having an answer.

WhateveR

My experience with them is very bad and I will never buy from them anymore.

#13 ·

And their customer service is pretty bad too... You get a reply within an hour when you show that you are interested in their product, but when it comes to warranty support... They don't even answer.

And their e-mail system sucks too. Everytime you send them an e-mail, your rewiest request goes back to the bottom of their list. So if you are not aware, you will probably wait a lobg long long time beforr having an answer.

WhateveR

My experience with them is very bad and I will never buy from them anymore.
Thats good enough for me to not buy from them, i'll be looking other places for something similar, who knows,maybe ill get on a light kick and decide to teach myself how to make them, lol. Anyways thanks for the help @NewTibOwner2011 and you too @NoSloppy

#14 ·

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your email, sorry to hear about your issue. Since the order was from 2014 unfortunately we wouldn't have anyway to refund as that gets cutoff after 60 days. The only options we would have is to replace them with our significantly improved XSB(switchback) halos or give you store credit for the amount that you spent on the halos and even that is bending the rules a bit.

Looking forward to your reply!

Regards,

Jamielle @ TRS
They sell ****** products and don't even offer refund. They probably know that their products last 6-7 months so they are only refunding after 3 months...

Also they want to give me their xsb, but I don't even kknow if they are better.

And a credit store? No way. I am never going to get something else from them...

Again, even more disappointed by TRS.

#15 ·

They sell ****** products and don't even offer refund. They probably know that their products last 6-7 months so they are only refunding after 3 months...

Also they want to give me their xsb, but I don't even kknow if they are better.

And a credit store? No way. I am never going to get something else from them...

Again, even more disappointed by TRS.
If i were you i would take their offer on the switchbacks, who knows, maybe they are a lot better and will last? Plus it would be relatively free to you, and if they do work then you get a nice set, if they dont, you're still only out what you initially paid for the originals. However i do understand its a matter of principle. But hey you can have em shipped to me and ill text em out for you and if they work ill buy you a set;)

However from the way theyre being i have a feeling that theyd charge you for shipping or something like that, or give you a "discount"

#16 ·

Yes they charged me for shipping on my replacement Because I am from Canada. It was 10$ for a single ring.

And no I don't want the XSB. I want the normal angel eyes that stay on all the time. If you go buy a microwave, and it breaks for any reason, will you accept if they offer you a stove? It does all that a microwave does, and even more, yes, but you wanted a microwave, not a stove. Same thing for me.

If you want them, I would gladly send them to you, but you would have to pay 110$ so I can get my money back. And I wouldn't be comfortable selling them to you as they might fail soon and you'd be screwed too. On top of that they would charge me for shipping too...

#17 ·
Today I got an e-mail from TRS telling me that they would ship me a set of their new XSB angel eyes Switchback for free to my doorstep.

Hopefully they will last longer....

But they kept refusing to refund me, that is the only reason why I decided to go with their new ones.

#18 ·
So I am about to email them, pics and all. Turns out I DO have dead individual SMDs...and in BOTH 80mm rings! I powered the unlit low beam ring off the high line and it lit, but with dead spots. Looked at the other side and found the same dead spots syndrome. I then metered the output of the round little inverter thing and the bad one was only putting out 5 volts, while the working ones were 12v. So that's weird to start....usually with resistors you drop 12v down to run LEDs, yet the working ones were all 11.5v
Anyway, I'm about to email them when I get home. I really hope the mount points on the XSBs aren't annoyingly visible cause it sounds like that's what I'll end up with. I'll file that crap right off if need be. Not to mention how totally aggravating to have to open up the headlights AGAIN!!!

Reactions: NewTibOwner2011
#19 ·
They told me they had problems with heat or.something like that...

Well if they are aware of the probLem, hopefully they corrected it on their XSB.

#20 ·
Man that sucks to hear. I'll be avoiding them should I ever want to swap to the solid rings. SFR is nice as you mentioned. A buddy of mine uses those. I use the v3 AE's from Shark Racing and haven't had any issues yet.

#22 · (Edited)
I created this thread today. I just transferred all the post here since it is a better place to complain than a thread to give information on angel eyes, and not information on the Morimoto.

And also because I am a MOD and I can do those things :D

And yes I will keep you updated. Thanks guys.

#23 ·
Ya know, i kinda thought something seemed off...:wink2:
Modders gonna mod?
Looking forward to the updates.
Though there is a possibility i might buy a cafe racer over the summer so finances might shift, but that's not a definite.

#24 ·
That really sucks, I was going to try out the Morimoto's when I (eventually) get my FL headlights. However, if you guys like the look of the Morimoto COB angel eyes, you should check out Diode's:

2005-2006 Hyundai Tiburon Angel Eye Kit - Tiburon - Hyundai - Angel Eyes - Lighting

I have the previous version (when they still had the yellowish face) but they still look fantastic. I've had them in for over a year now, and they're doing pretty good overall. I had some issues with the wiring inside the housing (my fault) and after I opened up my passenger side light one time, I got some condensation in there that led to 3-4 SMDs burning out on one ring (they're spread out though, so its not very noticeable until you're super close). But other than that, no complaints. And from my experience, Diode Dynamics has pretty great customer service and will usually work with you if something goes wrong - hell, the only reason I have these great looking COB angel eyes is because I initially ordered the old SMD style, but they had just discontinued them so as an apology for the mix-up, they sent the more expensive COB set instead, no extra charge.

Literally, the only complaint I've ever had with these is that the faces look a bit yellowish when they're off. But since they fixed that in the newer version with white faces, I'll definitely be buying from Diode again when I get my FL's. And at $120 for the whole set - four rings at the right sizes for the year you select & all the wiring - you can't really go wrong.

On:

Off (yellowish faces):

#25 ·
@Scorpio13 actually me and @NewTibOwner2011 were talking about DD's COB lights a few days ago. I think we were both leaning towards them a bit, but with Morimoto sending him the new versions i was gonna wait and see, just for the heck of it. Also i need to calm down a bit on spending so much on the tib cosmetically, so waiting for a review keeps me from burning cash lol

#26 ·
Well, I never said I was leaning towards DD's cob. I said that i WoulWould recommend them over the Morimoto if you want a complete ring (not the dotted style).

I personally would get the SFR CMD if I had to buy another set. Last time I had them I had no problem at all. I would not take the chance to "test" another set.

But since I got the XSB for free (and because I was forced to get them...), I am taking the chance.

#27 ·
Hey @NewTibOwner2011, the first few posts in this "new" thread, you have attatched images, but they show up as links. When I click them I'm getting an error "you do not have permission to access this page".
other pics in the thread show up fine in context....?

#30 ·
Pics working now, thanks.
One more thing about the regulators...they are not sealed at the ends and clearly there's oxidation/corrosion in the bad one. didn't look in the others yet, but most likely the same. Too late to silicone the ends to seal them? Probably, but I will anyway.

Anyway I called TRS today. Charlie told me to try the dead ring on a different working regulator.
I stopped him, told him I was way ahead of him, and explained what I did. He told me to email them with pics. So I did. Here's what I sent FYI.

Hello. I just got off the phone with Charlie over there who advised me to send this email.
I purchased my 80mm Morimoto XB Halo rings on order # 100021227.

My passenger side low beam ring stopped lighting up. Suspecting the regulator to be at fault, I powered the unlit low beam ring off the high beam line and it lit up, but with dead spots. I have 6 dead individual SMDs, and then looking over at the driver's side I found there are 7 dead spots.
I then metered the output of the regulators and the bad one was only putting out 5 volts, while the working ones were 11.5v. I bench tested the regulator with a 12V PSU and it was even less.
One more negative to note is that the different sizes appear as different color: whiter with smaller diameter, yellower with larger. This may be due to tighter spacing of the SMDs on smaller diameter rings, but it's annoying nonetheless.
Attached are pictures detailing my situation.
Please advise as to what the next step is.

Thank you.

Dead 80mm passenger side ring.

Passenger side 80mm after connecting to working regulator.

Then I noticed driver's side has the same problem.

Metering bad low beam regulator.

Metering good high beam regulator.

Bench metering bad regulator.

Different color output prior to installation.

Different color output after installation.

I did not send this one, and have yet to take a pic of the corroded side, as well as the other currently working ones.

Goopy melted ooze from one side of the bad regulator. They are not sealed, and looking in the other side (no pic) is all oxidized and green and gross.

#31 ·
This is soooo bad, I am sad I have spent all that money on a ****** produxt like this...

Hopefully the new ones will be better...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.