post #1 of 10 Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Lennvyy will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
RD1 V6 Swap

Before you ask, I've searched the forums. I've searched Hyundai-Aftermarket and I've searched using google and I'm not finding a lot of useful information.

Also, before anyone says any of the following:
- It costs too much.
- Bad platform, don't waste the money.
- Too much work involved.
I have the funds, I (along with help from a friend) can do the work myself and I don't care about the platform or that it isn't going to perform as well as I want it to.

That being said, does anyone have any information on swap compatibility? I already understand the ins and outs. I've done a few swaps on other (easier) platforms. I know all the misc parts that need to swtiched and the modifications that must be done to the ecu, etc. I just need to know what specific engines will actually fit (and possibly be a factory drop in) for the RD1. I really don't want to put in a 2.7, I'm leaning more towards the 3.3 Lambda but I'm not convinced that it will fit. So if I have to, and if possible, I will use the 2.7 but that's after exhausting my other options.

So, anyways. I'm not looking to get flamed so if you don't have anything to contribute just keep your comment to yourself. Like I said, I possess the skills required to do the work myself and I have the funds. (Although from what I've read, everyone seems to think it takes $10,000 to do a swap. There are plenty of 3.3's around here going for pocket change.)

I am ignorant when it comes to boost. I've never took the time to learn about it. (I don't have the time either) So, that's why I'm looking at doing a swap. I understand the results are not going to be impressive but, I'm not concerned with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Retired NT Staff

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Regina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another level
Re: RD1 V6 Swap

Cleaned up. Keep it on topic.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Anyone have any information on this? I see plenty rumors but I don't think anyone actually accomplished this.
I get it, the general consensus is that it isn't worth the work or money involved but take all that out of consideration.

For instance, I know the 2.7 Delta is only a 30-40hp difference from the 1.8L I4. Also, remember the RD weighs nearly 500lbs less than the GK. (According to wikipedia.) The V6 actually weighs ~11lbs less than the 1.8 when wet. I've seen people shut down for the reason being the added weight on the front end. This is a myth.

Regardless, I'm very interested in doing the swap and I will. It's just a matter of not going in blind so again, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 08:27 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
peachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nice

I think you're not finding anything because it hasn't been done. There was someone (I think around this forum too) that swapped a 2.7 into an XD Elantra with success, so it might be worth talking to them since the RD is similar in size (although based on the older J2 Elantra).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 SE V6 6sp SOLD
2006 Pontiac GTO LS2 6-speed
post #5 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Regit

There's a fellow on Hyundai Aftermarket who installed a 2.7 in his accent,He may Have some info/advice for your project !?

Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is Optional!

Tib 1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tib 2
post #6 of 10 Old 03-29-2014, 12:43 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
TuscaniTech05 has a spectacular aura aboutTuscaniTech05 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennvyy View Post
Before you ask, I've searched the forums. I've searched Hyundai-Aftermarket and I've searched using google and I'm not finding a lot of useful information.

Also, before anyone says any of the following:
- It costs too much.
- Bad platform, don't waste the money.
- Too much work involved.
I have the funds, I (along with help from a friend) can do the work myself and I don't care about the platform or that it isn't going to perform as well as I want it to.

That being said, does anyone have any information on swap compatibility? I already understand the ins and outs. I've done a few swaps on other (easier) platforms. I know all the misc parts that need to swtiched and the modifications that must be done to the ecu, etc. I just need to know what specific engines will actually fit (and possibly be a factory drop in) for the RD1. I really don't want to put in a 2.7, I'm leaning more towards the 3.3 Lambda but I'm not convinced that it will fit. So if I have to, and if possible, I will use the 2.7 but that's after exhausting my other options.

So, anyways. I'm not looking to get flamed so if you don't have anything to contribute just keep your comment to yourself. Like I said, I possess the skills required to do the work myself and I have the funds. (Although from what I've read, everyone seems to think it takes $10,000 to do a swap. There are plenty of 3.3's around here going for pocket change.)

I am ignorant when it comes to boost. I've never took the time to learn about it. (I don't have the time either) So, that's why I'm looking at doing a swap. I understand the results are not going to be impressive but, I'm not concerned with that.

the biggest issues you will have with doing this arent the electrical. you could steal all the harnesses from whatever car the drivetrain came from and always splice in windows and locks and lights later on.

the problem with the RD tibs and the J2 Elantras is that they do NOT have a subframe. they still have the mitsubishi-derrived crossbeam style support for the drivetrain.

the reason my elantra swap worked was because the GK's and the XD elantras share a platform.

i'm sure if you are crafty with a welder and a tape measure and have a generious bank account you can make anything fit in anything...i mean, you see all these redneck idiots running around dropping LS motors into just about everything because pushrod motors are the only thing they can wrap their feeble little minds around (ok im rambling)

basically the point im trying to make is it would be sick to see a 2.7 or a 3.3 in an RD however you would have to cut and weld the **** out of everything and make 100% custom mounts and brackets and possibly custom length CV Joints (GK tibs being wider than RD's and NF Sonata's being EVEN wider and beefier) to make it all work.

plus you will run into the issue of now finding a way to mount the knuckles and hubs for the larger axle splines into the car. I know the 5 lug V6 tib hubs will press right into your wheel bearings but again im unsure if the calipers on the RD will hold a GK rotor, and the odds of just slapping a GK caliper on the RD knuckle are slim.

basically it would be a huge huge project with alot of trial and error, but i salute you for the attempt if you so go for it !

the other issue is if you were to go with a 3.3. you would need to swap in the heavy as **** 5 speed automatic attached to it. because that is the only trans available at least in the USA for it. There is to my knowledge no manual trans that will mate to it in the USDM.

- Hyundai Factory Trained Tech since 2005
'03 Elantra GT Sedan V6 / 6 Speed / Alpine Stage 3 Supercharged 275whp/269ft.lbs best E/T to date 13.50 at 108MPH (you read that correctly.)

'94 Scoupe LS Turbo full restoration in the works!

Last edited by TuscaniTech05; 03-29-2014 at 12:45 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-29-2014, 12:44 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
TuscaniTech05 has a spectacular aura aboutTuscaniTech05 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachferrari View Post
i think you're not finding anything because it hasn't been done. There was someone (i think around this forum too) that swapped a 2.7 into an xd elantra with success, so it might be worth talking to them since the rd is similar in size (although based on the older j2 elantra).
sup.

- Hyundai Factory Trained Tech since 2005
'03 Elantra GT Sedan V6 / 6 Speed / Alpine Stage 3 Supercharged 275whp/269ft.lbs best E/T to date 13.50 at 108MPH (you read that correctly.)

'94 Scoupe LS Turbo full restoration in the works!
post #8 of 10 Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
ScoupeLS is an unknown quantity at this point

The steering knuckle is interchangeable between rd and gk. The gk will give the rd positive camber, which can be fixed with camber bolts.

I have seen a couple of 2.7L X3 accents from PR. If they can fit the delta in an x3, it should fit in an rd too.

Btw, this delta swapped x3's run mid 12's and low 13's 1/4 miles, all the ones I've seen are n/a.
The easiest way is buying the entire donor car, that way you have most of the parts needed.

03 GT
post #9 of 10 Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

@TuscaniTech05 I understand that this is not gonna be an easy task and there's gonna be A LOT of work involved. Basically, my plan was to rob everything from the donor car (engine, tranny, knuckles, etc) and then cross the custom fab bridges as I come to them. I know, a stupid way of doing things but, I don't really think there's a way to plan for something like this - just a lot of trial and error.

After reading the information you posted, it seems the 2.7 would be the only viable option considering the only tranny option for the 3.3, so that is probably what I'll go with. My main concern now would be the fact that the GK is quite a bit wider than the RD. I'll just have to get out the tape measure and see what I'm working with.
@ScoupeLS I wasn't sure that the knuckles were interchangeable so thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I've found an 03 V6 model close to me that is almost a total loss but it still runs. I've made an offer on it for $500 (they're only asking $800) so I hope to follow up on that soon. My only problem right now is I've got both my truck and other car down right now and it may be months before they're finished. So the Tib is my dd at the moment.

All in all, it's definitely possible but it's gonna take a lot of time and cursing and I worry that I'll be sick after it's done and I realize I put all that time and money into something that didn't gain that much in the performance department. However, I was in the same mind state when I was doing the 3400 swap in my '87 z24 years ago. With a few bolt ons, it ran low 12's down the 1/4. (I say bolt ons but it was really cut, bend, weld, then bolt on)

Last edited by Lennvyy; 05-08-2014 at 04:47 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-24-2019, 07:50 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wokko is an unknown quantity at this point

Bump
wonder how this went ?

I'm in the process of doing a 2.5lt in my '97 rd coupe
the v6 came out of a 2001 ef sonata g6bv engine
fits like a glove tranny/front engine mounts
going to modify the rd cross member to fit rear/front mount
I would've liked to grab a 2.7lt but pretty rare where I come from but this 2.5 only had 125K on it
will let people know how I go if there is still some interest in this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in