Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Coil Pack Issue

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  iceisrawr 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I realize that this is a relatively dead forum on the site but wanted to reach out. My brother is an avid and active member of the group here and locally in DFW and he gave our mom his '99 FX when she moved home last year. When we were replacing the coil pack at the time, the pig tail completely disintegrated when we unplugged it so we hard wired it in and it ran just fine for about 9 mos. The first real cold day back in December, it failed to start. It was getting fuel (we can hear the pump priming), the starter motor is turning and the throttle body is working so it seems that it isn't getting spark. I started with plugs and wires and when it did the same thing, I decided to try the coil pack again. While re-crimping the new one to test, one of the wires fell free and I'm left with two wires exposed and no real idea of which one goes where. My main concern is that one is the ground and when I try to crank it, it's going to fry the pack or worse so I don't want to run trial and error.

If someone with an RD or preferably an FX could take a picture of their coil pack plug, the color of the wires on the harness side of the connection and the where those wires connect to the coil pack, it would be greatly appreciated. I fully imagine that two of these wires are running signal for two of the cylinders so if I get them backwards, I could see that causing issues with the ECU and thinking that the engine is misfiring.

My brother's Tib, you might recognize it

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd just bite the bullet and get a new coil pack from an auto parts store. They tend to get cooked in the engine bay and keeping them limping a long by re-wiring it is just asking for trouble. Why your at it take a look at the crankshaft sensor. Those tend to get cooked and fall apart with high miles as well.

#3 ·
I will try and look at our 04 GT as well as wiring diagrams........
Most Hyundai are "wasted spark", so the coil fires to 2 plug wires.
Off the top of my head.........it is a coil load, thus polarity makes no difference if only 2 wires to the coil. This means, there,is a "correct way" but either connection works....... The coil needs a voltage applied and a ground, nothing special.
But, I will say I have to look at a diagram to be sure.

#4 ·
Even with a new coil, the harness side of the plug is what I really need to see so I can replace that connector and get it wired up correctly but a new coil is almost certainly going to be the case. I'll look into the crank shaft sensor for sure.

Appreciate anything you can find in the diagram or on the car. I tried looking it up myself but electrical schematics are Greek to me. I do have an 03 to compare to but it's a v6 so it's inherently different I'd imagine. I wasn't sure if the rd and gk used the exact same wiring scheme so didn't want to try there.

Thanks for any help!

#5 ·
As I stated before, an ignition coil is just a D.C. electromagnetic device, thus polarity is not an issue. If only 2 wires, 99% of the time, polarity makes NO difference on wiring. You need power in and a ground.
But, sorta depends on 2 wire or more wires.

Reactions: aveenav
#6 ·
Quick look at a couple diagrams, looks like maybe 3 wires to ignition coil via a plug. Looking at our 04 Tib GT, only 2 wires.
What do you have to each coil? If 2 wires, pick a spot, go from there. Yes, best to follow correct wiring, but primary side needs a power in and a ground. Coil primary does not give a crap about polarity (coil load like incandescent bulb, AC or DC.......power in, power/ground out, polarity means nothing.....LED is specific, but we're not talking them......).
:nerd2:

#7 ·
on the connector side, what color wires do u got? If you got aftermarket coil pack, wires may differ.

from what i found online (not guaranteed, someone plz confirm)
More info here

Harness Connector side:
White, Green (middle) brown
- brown wire should have batt volt.
- white is in the middle
- green n white wires from ecu

also verify if the coil pack side has white, red (middle) and black (w/ white stripe)

If yes,
brown - black (w/ white stripe)
white - white
green - red

Also, you can buy OEM coil pack for $28.02 Link

#8 ·
Errrmmmmm....what? An aftermarket coil (correctly picked) has no wire colors, that is in the harness.
I only stated some diagrams show 3 wires to each coil pack, some show 2.
AFAIK, all 2 wire don't give a poop on wiring, it's a coil, needs power in and power out.
AFAIK, all Tibs are wasted spark , so one coil fires 2 plugs, no issue.
Getting,into 3 wires, I would have to check.

Maybe others can interject.....

#9 ·
I'm seeing three wires unfortunately.

Harness Side:

Black - Assume this is ground
Blue w/ yellow stripe
Brown w/ red stripe

Coilpack Side(aftermarket):

Black- Again, assume this is a ground
Black w/ pink stripe
Black w/ white stripe

While we're talking about it, I should go ahead and replace the plug on the harness side but want it to be OEM. Is there a specific plug that Hyundai uses universally that I can order so that when I replace the coilpack again (most likely soon), I can go back to a standard plug instead of this splicing/soldering/hardwiring mess?

#10 · (Edited)
The part # for the harness connector is 27367-23000 https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-harness-assy~27367-23000.html

CORRECTION: a new coil pack already has the above connector (3-pin male) and igniter.

I couldn't find anything that says harness connector (female). Maybe ask dealer with your VIN.

Do a google image search on that part number.

finding new OEM part that old would be challenging. Most likely nobody stocks them. call multiple dealers.

#11 ·
The part # for the harness connector is 27367-23000

Do a google image search on that part number.

finding new OEM part that old would be challenging. Most likely nobody stocks them. call multiple dealers.
Appreciate it, will look into it.

As far as the wiring is concerned, do we assume that as long as the grounds are correct, black on both sides, that the other two don't really matter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.