NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
The_Evenger
Garage
(Thread Starter)
air bag light continuously on

so my airbag light came on... but not in the normal way.

as we know, there are 3 states of the airbag light:

•1 - on for 6 seconds, then goes out | "When neither active fault nor historic fault exists (below 10 different faults are recorded or the number of times of same fault is less than 10)" - workshop manual
•2 - flashes 6 times in 6 seconds, then goes out | "The warning lamp blinks for 6 seconds at 1 Hz for 6 seconds and be turned off afterwards (when Neither active fault nor historical fault exists)" - workshop manual
•3 - on for 6 seconds, goes out for one second, the comes back on and stays on | active fault

well I have a different situation. my airbag light is on continuously, all the time. never goes out unless the ignition is off. my 07 would turn on for 6 seconds, then go out. this 04 would always blink at me 6 times then go out since I got it fixed months ago. just a few weeks ago it started doing the first case, where it goes on solid for 6 seconds, then goes out. but now it's just on.

the light's actually acting like the SRS module had the fuse pulled for it, which creates the same symptoms. however, the SRS module is still working the dinger when I unbuckle (controlled by the SRS module and no longer happens if you pull the fuse) and I can communicate with it, but there are no current or historical DTCs on it.

It first came on after filling up at a gas station. i started the car, light came on then off, then came on 20s later. I turned the ignition off, then back on, and the light stayed on and never went out. it started acting normal the next day, but then came back on on my way back from work that same day. I didn't see anything about this in the workshop manual nor on the webs, so that kinda has me left in a "well what the **** do I do now" state.

update: on the way to work I smacked the center console near where the SRSMC is located and the light went out and is acting normally again. that's reassuring.

2004 Tiburon GT WN | minor performance mods(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Last edited by The_Evenger; 11-25-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-25-2017, 07:30 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
oni888 has a spectacular aura aboutoni888 has a spectacular aura aboutoni888 has a spectacular aura about
Re: air bag light continuously on

did you spill anything in the console lately? if everything working properly after " whacking the porcupine" so to speak, you may have a connector that is loose at the controller or corrosion thats making poor contact. cant hurt to disconnect the cables and check/reseat em. have to laugh, funny how the old "fix the carburetor" by whacking it technique(when the needle didnt drop out of the seat and it would flood all over the place) still has some use!

Wife's car: 2008 GS, L4 AT Hypersilver. burn hole on rear seat along with stuffed kitty "Lucky." Traded 2/25/16 for a 2012 Black Kia Soul+, 2.0 [email protected], 6speed auto. 42k miles, all bells and whistles. no Gerbils(or Hamsters) but stuffed kitty "Lucky" has back seat (no burn hole)all to himself. as of May 11 2019, Kia traded on a 2016 Hyundai Veloster with 25k miles, charcoal grey/black interior with no burn holes. stuffed kitty "Lucky" still has back seat all to himself.

Last edited by oni888; 11-25-2017 at 07:31 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-26-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

The_Evenger
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni888 View Post
did you spill anything in the console lately? if everything working properly after " whacking the porcupine" so to speak, you may have a connector that is loose at the controller or corrosion thats making poor contact. cant hurt to disconnect the cables and check/reseat em. have to laugh, funny how the old "fix the carburetor" by whacking it technique(when the needle didnt drop out of the seat and it would flood all over the place) still has some use!
console is spill free, it's very rare that I drink in my car :p. I think you may be right on the money with the connector, I did have the harness disconnected when I was testing the harness for an open, I may not have installed it correctly into the SRSMC.

I'm well versed with smacking on carburetors, the karts I race use methanol for fuel and the carburetors need to be cleaned out at the end of each night, otherwise they can get gummed up. well, sometimes that doesn't happen and I spend most of my pre-race time the next week running around trying to figure out why it's not running well, only to realize the float was stuck thanks to past me forgetting to clean the carb.... ._. good times.
oni888 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #4 of 13 Old 11-26-2017, 01:48 AM
NewTiburon.com God

oni888 has a spectacular aura aboutoni888 has a spectacular aura aboutoni888 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Evenger View Post
console is spill free, it's very rare that I drink in my car :p. I think you may be right on the money with the connector, I did have the harness disconnected when I was testing the harness for an open, I may not have installed it correctly into the SRSMC.

I'm well versed with smacking on carburetors, the karts I race use methanol for fuel and the carburetors need to be cleaned out at the end of each night, otherwise they can get gummed up. well, sometimes that doesn't happen and I spend most of my pre-race time the next week running around trying to figure out why it's not running well, only to realize the float was stuck thanks to past me forgetting to clean the carb.... ._. good times.
we dont as a rule drink in ours either but wifey keeps her "ba-ba" with her and it tends to sweat leaving some moisture here and there so she got the double walled type that doesnt do that. better than listening to me harp constantly.
what engines you runnin in the karts? do the carbs have brass or the composite floats in em? been out of the engine biz about 25 years now and back then most small engines didnt take well to the alcohol mix fuels due to the composite floats.

Wife's car: 2008 GS, L4 AT Hypersilver. burn hole on rear seat along with stuffed kitty "Lucky." Traded 2/25/16 for a 2012 Black Kia Soul+, 2.0 [email protected], 6speed auto. 42k miles, all bells and whistles. no Gerbils(or Hamsters) but stuffed kitty "Lucky" has back seat (no burn hole)all to himself. as of May 11 2019, Kia traded on a 2016 Hyundai Veloster with 25k miles, charcoal grey/black interior with no burn holes. stuffed kitty "Lucky" still has back seat all to himself.

Last edited by oni888; 11-26-2017 at 01:51 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-26-2017, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

The_Evenger
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
we dont as a rule drink in ours either but wifey keeps her "ba-ba" with her and it tends to sweat leaving some moisture here and there so she got the double walled type that doesnt do that. better than listening to me harp constantly.
what engines you runnin in the karts? do the carbs have brass or the composite floats in em? been out of the engine biz about 25 years now and back then most small engines didnt take well to the alcohol mix fuels due to the composite floats.
I run in Briggs animal senior, not nearly as fast as Yamaha but also MUCH cheaper to maintain and still great fun. they make around 11hp, maybe a little more if you push it as far as it'll go like a 40 over boar, drilling divots in the connecting rod, etc. (engine linky). I believe the carbs have brass in them, unless I'm severally mis-identifying what metal the jets are made out of. the floats can be a bit of a pain, I usually have to set mine at least once a month. where the float needs to be seems to change depending on how often I go out. (carb linky)

)
post #6 of 13 Old 11-26-2017, 02:18 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
I run in Briggs animal senior, not nearly as fast as Yamaha but also MUCH cheaper to maintain and still great fun. they make around 11hp, maybe a little more if you push it as far as it'll go like a 40 over boar, drilling divots in the connecting rod, etc. (engine linky). I believe the carbs have brass in them, unless I'm severally mis-identifying what metal the jets are made out of. the floats can be a bit of a pain, I usually have to set mine at least once a month. where the float needs to be seems to change depending on how often I go out. (carb linky)
pretty decent engines for B&S. the company was just coming out with OHV types when i left the industry. many Hondas were OHV then, even had a couple liquid cooled ones. no one using Kohler (attended its Generator Service Tech School in Kohler, Wisc. back in 1969) anymore? at one time those were used in the commercial karts like at amusement parks.

Last edited by oni888; 11-26-2017 at 02:19 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-26-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

The_Evenger
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
pretty decent engines for B&S. the company was just coming out with OHV types when i left the industry. many Hondas were OHV then, even had a couple liquid cooled ones. no one using Kohler (attended its Generator Service Tech School in Kohler, Wisc. back in 1969) anymore? at one time those were used in the commercial karts like at amusement parks.
where I race it's mostly, if not, all Briggs and Yamaha. Briggs animal engines are starting do die out unfortunately, Lo206 is getting really popular. it's an animal engine, but sealed from the factory to prevent cheating. the LO206 class is 2-3x bigger where I race, and it completely killed off the animal class at road America unfortunately. although, once a LO engine gets warn out, you can boar them out and tun them into an animal engine.

the Yamaha classes outnumber the Briggs classes big time, probably around3x more Yamaha classes then Briggs. AND they get the sticky tires too.

My class is talking about switching to LO, on one hand we don't want to see the animal class die, but there's so many more people in LO + you don't need to get your engine rebuilt every year + you don't need to lug a starter everywhere you go, you can use the pull starts on those! the one time I skipped rebuilding and tired for 2 seasons, the engine was that fastest out there towards the end of the season, until it suddenly wasn't. the connecting rod punched a hole in the block on the last lap of the last race of the season.

)
post #8 of 13 Old 11-26-2017, 08:46 PM
NewTiburon.com God

are those Animal engines based on the Vanguard series or is that a league of its own? are these engines splash lube or pressurized? nothing new about B&S throwing rods outside of the block. the company has come a long way since the 1980's when at one of the meetings i attended a rep was pissing and moaning about how "the japanese were killing B&S." i see it got off its ass and started building stuff that actually lasts more than the first time you use it. i have an el cheapo lawn mower thats 16 years old now and the 3HP B&S on it is still running although the deck is rotting away on it. used to be the decks would outlast the engines, not anymore.

post #9 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

The_Evenger
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
are those Animal engines based on the Vanguard series or is that a league of its own? are these engines splash lube or pressurized? nothing new about B&S throwing rods outside of the block. the company has come a long way since the 1980's when at one of the meetings i attended a rep was pissing and moaning about how "the japanese were killing B&S." i see it got off its ass and started building stuff that actually lasts more than the first time you use it. i have an el cheapo lawn mower thats 16 years old now and the 3HP B&S on it is still running although the deck is rotting away on it. used to be the decks would outlast the engines, not anymore.
I've never heard of Vanguard engines, I don't know what they're based off of. I do know when they first came out they were super unreliable. I was talking to someone who used them when they were brand spankin' new and they had all kinds of problems like the camshaft becoming two pieces, the case cracking (which apparently never got fixed because that's what happened to my 4yo engine (._.) ) and stuff like that. they have the good-ol' splash oil system. just a little rod that sticks out of the connecting rod and pushes the oil around. as of right now, their biggest weak point are the connecting rods, they have a tendency to rub against the camshaft and machine themselves away little by little. that's why the older an engine gets, the more you have to listen for rod knock, because once that starts knocking, you've only got a few laps before it stops knocking and starts banging. there really isn't much warning, it just decides that today is a good day to be ruined.

in any case, when your case isn't cracked and you've had your yearly $600-800 rebuild they're very reliable. speaking of lawnmowers, my dad also has a tractor lawnmower that's older than I can remember (so at least 16 years) that's always got it's "new" oil in it's oil changes from the car's old oil and it's still runnin' to this day. 13HP of FURY that thing is, although I'm pretty sure we lost 1 or 2 by now.
oni888 likes this.

)

Last edited by The_Evenger; 11-28-2017 at 01:26 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 02:25 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
I've never heard of Vanguard engines, I don't know what they're based off of. I do know when they first came out they were super unreliable. I was talking to someone who used them when they were brand spankin' new and they had all kinds of problems like the camshaft becoming two pieces, the case cracking (which apparently never got fixed because that's what happened to my 4yo engine (._.) ) and stuff like that. they have the good-ol' splash oil system. just a little rod that sticks out of the connecting rod and pushes the oil around. as of right now, their biggest weak point are the connecting rods, they have a tendency to rub against the camshaft and machine themselves away little by little. that's why the older an engine gets, the more you have to listen for rod knock, because once that starts knocking, you've only got a few laps before it stops knocking and starts banging. there really isn't much warning, it just decides that today is a good day to be ruined.

in any case, when your case isn't cracked and you've had your yearly $600-800 rebuild they're very reliable. speaking of lawnmowers, my dad also has a tractor lawnmower that's older than I can remember (so at least 16 years) that's always got it's "new" oil in it's oil changes from the car's old oil and it's still runnin' to this day. 13HP of FURY that thing is, although I'm pretty sure we lost 1 or 2 by now.
Vanguard Series is B&S' commercial engine. some are V twins and the lineup is priced about the same as the Animal and they are typically red and black colored also. the aluminum block engines always were notorious for rod problems, either throwing them or just seizing up as the "bearing" is just a polished machined surface. so many of those engines were so cheap that they werent worth rebuilding let alone even repairing, depending on the problem. i used to buy the typical 3 HP lawnmower engines for 39.00. sure not worth rebuilding them.
is your engine governor set at 3600rpm or can you get more than that out of the engine safely?
speaking of lawn tractors, my bro in law has a Wheel Horse thats close to 40 years old and still running strong. its been stuck into his pond on the property many times over the years and other than some patching on the mower deck its still working. however its not a B&S, its an Onan (now Cummins Engine Co)B series 2 cylinder opposed, pressure lubed. good little engines they are.

post #11 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

The_Evenger
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Vanguard Series is B&S' commercial engine. some are V twins and the lineup is priced about the same as the Animal and they are typically red and black colored also. the aluminum block engines always were notorious for rod problems, either throwing them or just seizing up as the "bearing" is just a polished machined surface. so many of those engines were so cheap that they werent worth rebuilding let alone even repairing, depending on the problem. i used to buy the typical 3 HP lawnmower engines for 39.00. sure not worth rebuilding them.
is your engine governor set at 3600rpm or can you get more than that out of the engine safely?
speaking of lawn tractors, my bro in law has a Wheel Horse thats close to 40 years old and still running strong. its been stuck into his pond on the property many times over the years and other than some patching on the mower deck its still working. however its not a B&S, its an Onan (now Cummins Engine Co)B series 2 cylinder opposed, pressure lubed. good little engines they are.
I don't think they're based off of Vanguard engines, although I have no knowledge of this subject. I really can't say.

heh, the clutch doesn't even engage until 4500 on mine. the animals push up to 8000 RPM, I've had one that actually pushed all the way up to 8300, that one was damn fast. we basically push them as far as they'll go, once it stops building RPM, we stop throwing gear at it. although, they don't make anywhere near that when they're stock. when you buy an animal engine, you're not just buying the engine, you're also paying an engine builder to deck the head and do all the go fast tricks. the LO206 engines are limited although I don't remember what number, if I were to guess, I 'd say around 6700. In terms of top speed, I've gone up to 85mph for my class at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. at those speeds getting a draft really matters. if you're not out there with a partner, you're in trouble.

)
post #12 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 06:58 PM
NewTiburon.com God

so i assume the prices of those engines are when they are bought from an engine builder and not B&S dealers? sounds like they can hail some ass! kinda slow for my liking, considering when i still had my old Piper Cherokee i would break ground (in about 1000ft) and land at about 80mph (my cruise speed about 120-125mph with balls to the wall, a little slow as i had a climb propeller and STOL kit to work out of short fields. i think i might be a little fearful in a kart at 85 speed and have to bring spare drawers with me.

post #13 of 13 Old 08-11-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

The_Evenger
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Update!

It finally acted up again, same as before. AIRBAG light is on continuously all the time. I connected my new scan tool and got the following codes:

•B1378 | Side Airbag Front - Driver Resistance too High (Present)
•B2500 | Warning lamp Failure (History)

This would obviously make you suspect a problem in the driver side airbag, but the plot thickens. I cycled the key and re-scanned the SRS module and had the same codes but both were history codes this time, with the AIRBAG light still on even after disconnecting the scan tool and a key cycle. I then cleared the codes and came back with no codes, in other words, no active faults.

so... I decided to create my own fault to make sure the light staying on isn't normal for this year, despite what the manual says. I unplugged the side driver air bag and the light flashed 6 times, went out for a few seconds, then came back on. sounds about right, so then I cycled the key again and the light stayed on continuously!

well, now that I know that I was chasing ghosts, I can focus on the problems. I am a little worried about the warning lamp fault because it's currently working & I don't remember it ever not working, but I guess I wouldn't notice it not working one or two times. I did notice my airbag and seat belt buck connectors were not in their holders & just dangling under the seat, so I'm going to start with getting those in their holders and go from there.

It's definitely nice having a scan tool you can trust, unlike how my emulator / cable were cycling through random codes when I tried to read them. that kind of sent me on a wild goose chase.

SO... in conclusion...

The light staying on continuously is normal if there's a fault present in the 2004 USDM tiburon, despite what the manual says it should do. and I have a fault in my driver side air bag circuit.

)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in