Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

My outside door handle broke off (2003 Tiburon)

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  alg.tonio 
#1 ·
#3 ·
It’s not hard to do yourself, like I believe the handle was like $110 CDN from the dealer. And yes the picture is the correct one, and if you’re unsure the dealer will know for sure
Was it $110 CDN for parts and install from the dealer, or just the part?

Also, looking at the photo in the ebay I linked, is the image reversed? The driver side should be pointing the other way right?

#4 ·
Well I got it for $90, because I have connections, but for a regular client it would be $110, just the part.

And for the EBay part, base it off the description, not the picture, and the picture looks correct to me.

And if you are even somewhat capable, you can do the removal and installation yourself, you just need a philips and flathead screwdriver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Well I got it for $90, because I have connections, but for a regular client it would be $110, just the part.

And for the EBay part, base it off the description, not the picture, and the picture looks correct to me.

And if you are even somewhat capable, you can do the removal and installation yourself, you just need a philips and flathead screwdriver
Thank you. Do you have instructions for doing it myself?

#6 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/
I have found this website undercuts the dealer almost every time if you can afford to wait a few days. Rockauto is also good. You can get the part number from the link I pasted when you fill out your year/trim/etc info. I'm pretty sure I've seen a DIY on it but its easy anyways if you want something to print. Guy in the video does ok too. You actually don't have to pop off that window switch, but itll be more connectors to undo with 1 hand...up to you.

Only note I'll add: put the connector for the tweeter back in its place before putting the interior panel back on. Its really frustrating to have to take out all the screws and pop the panel back off when you realize the wire fell down and you already have the door put back together, otherwise.

#18 ·
Alright! I got something written up with pics; I know I said video before, but my buddy had to bail and trying to do this 1-handed was a totally worthless video. XG3, let me know if you have questions. I'll PM you with my email.
https://app.box.com/s/rpafq7rtm1tsj14c5gnj4v553h38vt8v

Charlie, thanks for letting me know. I just went to the photobucket.com/p500 and they wanted a substantial chunk of cash for a subscription so that's where I ended my search (figured I was dead in the water). I'll do some more looking! I know something similar has been done already, but if you want this version in the DIY, I can do that. I've also replaced my front speakers and fixed a whistling window; might be able to modify this if either of those DIY's haven't been done.

#20 · (Edited)
A HUGE shoutout to Smitty.631. Because of this guide I was able to replace the handle myself. Printed it out and went through it step by step. It took me about 2 hours.

1) For assembling the door handle itself that you bought off ebay, use this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thXcHpvzegE

2) I recommend having someone help you hold the door up while you disconnect the wires (step 7).

3) The hardest part was disconnecting the metal rod hook from the yellow plastic piece connected to the door handle (the right image in step 9). What I did was move the lock mechanism out of the way, pull out the whole door handle piece from outside. This gave me more room to separate the rod from the yellow piece. Also, when putting the door handle piece in, it doesn't seem to sit right but you just have to apply force to make it sit flush with the door.

Thank you so much to Smitty.631 for spending the time to write this up. It saved me a lot of money to do it myself. All in all this problem only cost me $26 for the part and two hours!

#19 ·
NP, thanks for doing what you did.:grin2:

As to Photobucket and picture issues, common issue across MANY forums since about last (2017) summer.
Yes, patches/fixes for most browsers to circumvent Photobucket!>:D

Reactions: Smitty.631
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.