Outside temp sensor and AC both stopped working - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By The_Evenger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-23-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
David Klopper
(Thread Starter)
Outside temp sensor and AC both stopped working

Today my outside temp reading on my 08 Tiburon stopped working. It currently shows four dashed lines where the temperature is supposed to be. At the same time my AC and HVAC controls also have stopped working.

After reading thorough a couple of threads it seems that the ambient air temp sensor in front of the radiator might be out.

A few things that I've tried already:
1. Unplugged the ambient air temp sensor (had to remove the black plastic between the front of the radiator and the front bumper) - still shows dashed lines.
2. Checked AC fuses under the hood and under the dashboard.
3. Checked connections in front facia. (clock is working, fan speed controls are working, tapping the AC on button does not turn on the green light)
4. Disconnected the battery and reset the ECU.

What I'd like to know is will a faulty sensor cause the AC controls to also stop working? Should I order a new one? Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

2008 V6: NGM 360cc reflash stage 2 supercharged, AEM water/meth injection, Custom FMIC 26x7x2 (Type 118 Frozenboost), Allstar ALL36111 reservoir, Borla Exhaust, DC Headers, K&N Cold Air Intake, Solid motor mounts, Megan Racing SS coilovers, NGK Iridium 1 step colder Spark Plugs & wires, Weapon-R catch can, Ralco Short Throw Shifter & bushings, FX350 clutch, Fidanza flywheel, XG350 front BBK with Hawk HPS pads & SS lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-23-2018, 12:19 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: Outside temp sensor and AC both stopped working

I would check the FSM, see if there are tests for the sensor and wiring. Then you have a better idea on what needs work/ replacement.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #3 of 11 Old 06-24-2018, 02:46 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
The_Evenger
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I would check the FSM, see if there are tests for the sensor and wiring. Then you have a better idea on what needs work/ replacement.
Charlie-III likes this.

2004 Tiburon GT WN | minor performance mods(
)
post #4 of 11 Old 06-24-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

David Klopper
(Thread Starter)

Thanks @Charlie-III and @The_Evenger

The only other information that I've come across in the service manuals and parts sites are the following two attachments. The first shows where the ambient temp sensor connects and the other shows some DTC codes which I guess I need to scan for.

I'm most likely going to order the $20 and hope that it works. I'll post my updates.
Attached Images

2008 V6: NGM 360cc reflash stage 2 supercharged, AEM water/meth injection, Custom FMIC 26x7x2 (Type 118 Frozenboost), Allstar ALL36111 reservoir, Borla Exhaust, DC Headers, K&N Cold Air Intake, Solid motor mounts, Megan Racing SS coilovers, NGK Iridium 1 step colder Spark Plugs & wires, Weapon-R catch can, Ralco Short Throw Shifter & bushings, FX350 clutch, Fidanza flywheel, XG350 front BBK with Hawk HPS pads & SS lines.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-25-2018, 05:51 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
HenryMartin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Klopper View Post
I'm most likely going to order the $20 and hope that it works. I'll post my updates.
This is the right decision, start to small and if it does not help, then it's worth to drip further)
post #6 of 11 Old 06-30-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

David Klopper
(Thread Starter)

Just a quick update. I installed the new ambient air temp sensor (96985-3X000) but unfortunately the problem persists.

When that didn't work I tried plugging the old sensor back in and for a brief period of time I did see a temperature reading on the outside temp gauge so I'm almost certain that this part causes the AC/HVAC controls to work. I've checked all the fuses again including the grounds to different parts (gauges, intercooler pump, HIDs etc). Those all seem to be fine.

Any recommendations on what I should do next?

post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

From a sonata book, there are up to 8 fuses related to the HVAC.
3 are under the hood (2 are fusible links), 5 under the dash.
AC compressor has 2 relays involved under the hood.....engine control and AC. The EC relay is part of the feed for the AC relay coil.

The manual I have is just a basic one and does not have all wiring nor troubleshooting for most systems. You can use the manuals linked on this site, or here.....Hyundai Coupe Gen 3 / 3.5 / SIII (GK / GK FL / GK F/L2) Workshop Manual

You can also determine the AC clutch feed wire, start the car, then jumper the feed to the relay output (diagram is usually on the relay itself and your wires will be 30 and 87 on the relay). This will bypass everything else and just engage the clutch.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2018, 03:04 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
The_Evenger
Garage

measuring the resistance of the original sensor would have told you if your problem was there or else ware.

I would bet on an open in the harness or a loose pin terminal since it worked momentarily when you plugged the old sensor back in.

2004 Tiburon GT WN | minor performance mods(
)
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

David Klopper
(Thread Starter)

Thanks once again @Charlie-III and @The_Evenger

I got myself a multimeter and tested the ambient sensors. Turns out that they're both providing a resistance reading.

I've tried numerous attempts at testing the wiring and harness to the ambient sensor. First I realised that the horn + ambient sensor share a harness in front of the radiator. With the key in acc, I used my multimeter to test if that harness is receiving power. I attached the black negative probe to a good ground and tried to find a voltage with the red probe. One of the pins returned a positive voltage. Also, the horns themselves are working so that harness is getting power.

Next I tried to test for a voltage coming from the ambient temp sensor harness itself. I probed both pins for voltage and did not get a reading. This is my first time debugging an electrical problem so I'm not sure if I should have tested for current as well. The wires and pins themselves don't look damaged or loose so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Finally, I used the OBDCarDoctor app to scan for codes. On the menu page I am getting a reading for my IAT temp but the Ambient Air Temp value is reading N/A.

I pulled one fuse one at a time for the AC and blower and still no luck. Any recommendations on what to try next?

post #10 of 11 Old 07-27-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

David Klopper
(Thread Starter)

Just a follow-up on this. I've still not been able to figure out a solution.

Here's the problem once again:
1. My outside temp gauge is flashing ---
2. Tapping on the AC button does not turn on the green light
3. The fan speeds controls work but without AC

I've once again checked the ambient air temp sensor. I'm now a bit more familiar with how to use my multimeter so I now know for sure that the ambient sensor is working and that there is a very small current going through the wires to the ambient sensor. I've checked all the fuses and the wires from the AC control module to the front fascia.

I have a manual AC system and based on all the service manuals I've gone through only the automatic AC systems rely on the ambient temp sensor to function correctly. I'm not sure where else I should be looking.

post #11 of 11 Old 03-26-2019, 05:15 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SharkX is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you solved this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in