post #1 of 6 Old 03-19-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forlorn Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Noise when clutch engaged

I found a topic made about this already but it's around 2 years old and has no pertinent information in it.

I had my clutch changed with a kit last April - just a few weeks ago I noticed a clicking/ticking noise at a rate of about 2 clicks per second when the clutch is engaged in neutral idling. This goes away when the clutch is 3/4th of the way disengaged - I figured it was the throw out bearing, and the parts + labor are still covered by the warranty. I took it back to the shop and he keeps saying it's something in the transmission, and the transmission is just making 'old tranny noises'. It's a 2003 GT 2.7L 6spd with 132k miles. He even went as far to say that he wanted me to go and get a second opinion - and if they said it was the throw out bearing, he still would not change it. Not sure if he just doesn't want to make the repair / honor the warranty or if it might actually be something else. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-20-2019, 07:55 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like a chattering TOB and a lazy mechanic to me. Bleed the clutch system and see if it helps.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 12:59 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

TexMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Noise when clutch engaged

Just had the same experience with my 2006 2.7l w/ 5 speed. I figured it was bearings in trans since it only did it in neutral. WRONG! The throw out bearing that came with my aftermarket stage 2 clutch and billet flywheel kit let loose after about 10K miles, 2 months past MFG warranty and 300 miles from home. Cost over a grand plus car rentals just to put back a stock clutch that is known for wearing out rapidly, because I had to do it quickly. Pulled clutch and flywheel are fine and I'll try to reuse them when the new clutch goes if I can locate a TOB and pressure plate. Clicking noise, of course, is now gone.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 08:30 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
Pull type clutches like ours are very hard on TOBs. If they are not made properly they will fail. Always use OEM throw out bearings.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 11:34 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Tibbytabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Went through the same issue with mine. Started day one after switching to my stage 2 kit. Chattered in neutral. Very annoying. Had to drop the trans again and change it to an OEM TOB.

If I can't make it fast, I don't want it
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Forlorn Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
Pull type clutches like ours are very hard on TOBs. If they are not made properly they will fail. Always use OEM throw out bearings.
Appreciate it, I figured he was just not wanting to honor the warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clutch, disengaged, engaged, noise, throw out bearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in