03 tib.. Sudden overheat semi stranded. - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GAU-8 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
03 tib.. Sudden overheat semi stranded.

Howdy all.

Currently sitting in a parking lot, letting motor cool down. Found a loose connection, unsure if it relates to my problem.

Back story:

one of the factory heater core hoses had burst. So I replaced both. After driving/test riding for a few days, being mindful of anything new popping up, im constantly watching temps. Have taken drives from 30 to 45 minutes no issues.

The issue:

After leaving one of my jobs, i get to a red light ( about 3 1/2 to 4 miles away from where I left. No temp issues. Needle sitting centerline. I get to the next light, (about another 1/4 mile) and needle is pegged at HOT. I pull over, open the hood, and I hear hissing towards the firewall. One of the hoses, is cool, the other one damn near burned me to the touch. No telling sign of fluid leaks anywhere.

The lost and found:

while probing about, looking for leaks/burst hose stuff, I find this connecter, loose. It's a 2 pin. I can't find where it goes. Currently motor, and hoses are too hot to touch for digging on backside blindly feeling.

If it's identifiable, could it be related to my sudden overheat? Or do I now have 2 issues to solve?

As to the picture. If standing in front, and looking at motor, on right hand side there are 4 sets of cables. Leading off from the main trunk. This is the 4th connector ( going from front to back) the 2 in front of it are connected to the throttle body. Hope that helps as a reference.

Interesting day. 😄
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 02:00 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: 03 tib.. Sudden overheat semi stranded.

V6 or I4?

Normally, no......that connector won't lead to an overheat.

In a pinch for overheating.....turn on cabin air to full hot and full fan......yet another radiator.
If air comes out cool/cold......air in system.....reburp......

By the throttle body on a V6, 2 connectors, they swap......
One is basically black, one is basically dark gray......color to color.....look close with good light....

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #3 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Good eye. Thank you. Not sure how I missed that. But it happens. Anyways, it's a ma ual V6. At home now, and out to re-undo everything I just re-did. Sigh..head spin.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Respectfully, I don't think they swap. I strained/pulled on the wires to get it to fit, and when i did get it to fit, there was a lot of tension on the cable. ( and the car idled at almost 2000 rpm, rather than it's normal 800. And the motor just had a weird buzzy sound to it.

Still trying to find where that 2 pin connector goes.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-23-2019, 12:05 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
aveenav

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
Respectfully, I don't think they swap. I strained/pulled on the wires to get it to fit, and when i did get it to fit, there was a lot of tension on the cable. ( and the car idled at almost 2000 rpm, rather than it's normal 800. And the motor just had a weird buzzy sound to it.

Still trying to find where that 2 pin connector goes.
IACV and TPS sensors are both 3-pin (uses similar connectors so can be mistakenly swapped, grey is for TPS and black for IACV).

The one in your pic is 2-pin connector, most likely for your air temp sensor (behind upper intake intake manifold).

05 Tib GT v6, 2.7L, 5MT, 130K miles, black, Mussa Catback exhaust
post #6 of 7 Old 04-23-2019, 07:43 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

Its either for the air temp sensor or the Evap control valve that sits under the throttle body. Having either one disconnected is no bueno for performance. Depending on how the car was treated and the miles on the clock the Air Temp Sensor could quite possibly be broken.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #7 of 7 Old 04-27-2019, 06:43 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ben NMegan Perry is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem couldn’t figure it out replaced the water pump hoses radiator everything $800 later it was still showing hot come to find out I had a loose ground cable on the backside of the engine next to the firewall I bought a heat gun because I didn’t believe is really getting that hot hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in