post #1 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Hurdler5280
(Thread Starter)
A/C compressor is toast

So my next project is my a/c. I brought it to a shop who said my compressor is dead. I already had them vacuum the lines so I could replace the compressor. A good option for a replacement is an auto 7 remanufactured one for 124. It says I may need to reuse the existing hose connection manifold. No idea what that is but shouldn’t be too hard to swap. Not sure if a full replacement is the best way to go about this as I have seen replacement a/c clutches for sale but not sure if my unit has more wrong with it. Does anyone have any objections to a remanufactured one? Also do I have to add oil to the unit before install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
aveenav will become famous soon enough
Re: A/C compressor is toast

With the reman unit, you'd have to transfer few things from old unit and add oil. I've one Denso brand A/C compressor (NEW) that I can sell for a great price. There's not much of a price difference between reman and a new unit. Denso part comes pre-filled with oil and has good reviews too. Let me know if you're interested.

Here's a good video (on hyundai santa fe 2.7) on A/C clutch and bearing replacement.

05 Tib GT v6, 2.7L, 5MT, 140K miles, black, AEM CAI, Mussa Catback exhaust

Last edited by aveenav; 05-20-2019 at 08:17 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Hurdler5280
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveenav View Post
With the reman unit, you'd have to transfer few things from old unit and add oil. I've one Denso brand A/C compressor (NEW) that I can sell for a great price. There's not much of a price difference between reman and a new unit. Denso part comes pre-filled with oil and has good reviews too. Let me know if you're interested.

Here's a good video (on hyundai santa fe 2.7) on A/C clutch and bearing replacement.
PM sent.

Anyone recommend replacing anything else before I have the system filled back up with refrigerant?

Note: I think my compressor tanked because I barely ever used it. I say this as I heard you need to kick it on every so ofter or they can seize. Instead of doing a replacement should I just replace the clutch, bearing and coil and call it a day?

Last edited by Hurdler5280; 05-20-2019 at 09:47 PM.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-21-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Hurdler5280
(Thread Starter)
Bump for any advice
post #5 of 9 Old 05-23-2019, 10:42 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
sccarlso is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

My Ď06 was fine until last summer and it just quit turning. Easy to diagnose, found a blown fuse in the under hood fuse box. Replaced, blew it right away. Troubleshooting quickly found a low ohm resistance on the dang clutch coil which causes it to draw well over 10 amps. Checking with an Ohmmeter confirmed it. Was like 1.2ohms when it should be about 3.6ohms if I recall. A $10 part that you ďcanĒ replace, but you have to do as much labor as replacing. And still an old compressor!

After 12 years, running year round AC in summer and for defog in winter, I opted for new. The Denso 471-6004 model was the same one on it, as I bought my Tib new & that compressor lasted 12 years. And a great price, $160 on Amazon w/prime shipping and is preloaded w/oil, turn it a few times when installing to release the oil.

Both high and low hoses were like $10 ea. at Rock Auto, so with a discharged system, I replaced them too.

Thereís no drier on Tibís, just a desiccant bag in the condenser you must replace after opening the system. But itís easier and cheaper to replace the whole condenser...I think! TYC 3084, also Amazon w/prime for $42. So $220 in parts and I have a brand new AC system.

On my GT V6, really hard to get to it though! I donít have the right stuff to draw vac & recharge properly. But I have a great local mechanic who bore the brunt of it! Had to unbolt a motor mount & jack up the engine to get it out! $250 well spent and another $120 to R&R the rest and vac/recharge. But it doesnít leak, runs crazy quiet, and has been ice cold since! Not much left to fail so should last as long as the car! Only has 110K on it now so lots of miles left on my Tib!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurdler5280 View Post
So my next project is my a/c. I brought it to a shop who said my compressor is dead. I already had them vacuum the lines so I could replace the compressor. A good option for a replacement is an auto 7 remanufactured one for 124. It says I may need to reuse the existing hose connection manifold. No idea what that is but shouldnít be too hard to swap. Not sure if a full replacement is the best way to go about this as I have seen replacement a/c clutches for sale but not sure if my unit has more wrong with it. Does anyone have any objections to a remanufactured one? Also do I have to add oil to the unit before install?

Oh, and if you have an ohmmeter, easy to check the clutch, just unplug the single wire going to the compressor clutch coil, and measure ohms between the spade connector going to the clutch coil and the battery. If itís under 3 ohms resistance the coil is toast. If itís above 3, then itís something else. But itís totally not worth replacing the coil! Remove compressor, yank off the pulley with a gear puller, then you can replace it. Seen a few ppl do it without opening the system, but itís a bear getting the pulley off with the lines still attached. Better to put a new one in, and if the hoses are good, replace the desiccant bag or the entire condenser as itís cheap and just as good as the factory condenser.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-24-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Hurdler5280
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccarlso View Post
Oh, and if you have an ohmmeter, easy to check the clutch, just unplug the single wire going to the compressor clutch coil, and measure ohms between the spade connector going to the clutch coil and the battery. If itís under 3 ohms resistance the coil is toast. If itís above 3, then itís something else. But itís totally not worth replacing the coil! Remove compressor, yank off the pulley with a gear puller, then you can replace it. Seen a few ppl do it without opening the system, but itís a bear getting the pulley off with the lines still attached. Better to put a new one in, and if the hoses are good, replace the desiccant bag or the entire condenser as itís cheap and just as good as the factory condenser.
Wow thanks for all the info. I'm going with a new denso and I will replace the desiccant bag or condenser. I think I'm going to keep the line but replace the O rings.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-24-2019, 11:16 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Garage

I’ve had my ‘06 GT V6 since it had 7 mi on it. And the AC has been the only failure to date.

Love the car so much, I bought an ‘05 SE V6 w/6 spd manual trans with 105K on it.

Not knowing the history, just to start I replaced almost everything that was just old. Best prices were from Amazon or Rock Auto.

Timing belt kit (replace every 60K, if it snaps your engine is destroyed). If you don’t know when it was last done, replace it!
New condenser & radiator fans - $45 or less each.
New condenser and radiator - also $45 or less each.
New Alt, 120Amp replaced stock 90Amp one - $125
New Denso AC Compressor - $160
AC hoses - $20
Rear wheel hubs - $60 for both sides - Detroit Axle - eBay. Easy job. Fronts were good.
Drilled/slotted discs and pads, all 4 wheels $140 for kit on Amazon. Great deal with decent mid range ceramic pads.
Struts - front and rear - KYB - $160 for all, Amazon... local part stores wanted $110 per strut!
New AC blower - $25
New blower dash switch - $15

Having an ‘06 GT V6 = almost all parts interchange.
Bought 4 “new” not refurb factory rims for my GT, perfectly straight, they’re new... Hard to find new ones! $550 for four - eBay
New BFGoodrich tires, Costco, $500 installed.

Rims & tires on the GT were still good. Put the GT’s old, but good wheels on the ‘05 SE that had one bent and peeling coating on the rims.

With that, both are running great. Spent some $$$ but just not much to fail on either one now. For lots of Tib parts, they’re in that sweet spot where part sellers are clearing their stock for cheap due to the model age. Rock Auto/Amazon.

Good luck! If you have the money, it’s a good time to grab parts that will wear out, even if you don’t need em right now. You will later... And it’ll cost a lot more in the future.
aveenav likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2019, 11:29 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AliceSean is an unknown quantity at this point

Great information. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in